C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

High rev at startup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
High rev at startup

When starting the car it revsup to about 1700 rpm. After this it goes down to about 700 rpm, but it takes like 20 seconds to get there.
Cold weather, warm weather, always same. After this initial problem the car runs smoothly, no problems whatsoever.

Any ideas ?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by bverotti
When starting the car it revsup to about 1700 rpm. After this it goes down to about 700 rpm, but it takes like 20 seconds to get there.
Cold weather, warm weather, always same. After this initial problem the car runs smoothly, no problems whatsoever.

Any ideas ?

I would be willing to bet that you have an air leak in the system. Have you tried checking all of the vacuum lines for leaks? It could also be caused by a leaking intake manifold gasket or your ECU needs to be updated.

You can go to sears (or parts store) and purchase a vacuum gauge for about $20 and connect it to service port next to the throttle body (There is a black 1" hose covering the port). Wait until your car is cold or whenever it has this issue and monitor the pressure.

I had a rough idle a few months ago and I noticed that I could cause the car to rev high at first start and it would stay that way until the pressure balanced out.

Are you running high octane gas?
Does it do it when you warm start the car?

If you have a warranty, take it to MB.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

C320
1700 seams a little high... When you start your car it is supposed to Rev up and then drop down below 1000 RPMs to warm the catalytic converters. Same reason as to why your car will hold 1st and 2nd gear a little longer when the car is cold. However, 1700 seams a little high...
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by bverotti

Any ideas ?
Mine has been doing the same thing. This morning I watched the tach more carefully and noticed it took more than 20 seconds to drop to 700 rpm. Oh well, back to the dealership before warranty expires.

Oh by the way, mine started to do this after the secondary air pump campaign was done to the car. Have you had that done yet?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Almost a Member!

99 civic EK hatchback
i don't think its anything to worry about. if you had a vacuum leak it would have a really bad idle. it wouldn't hurt to send it to the dealer and flash the ecu but unless it doesn't drop back down to 700 during idle then worry about it.