C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Want a C32 (maybe), advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by m3_eater
Once a car has had body work, I would steer clear. From personal experience, I can assure you that no matter how good the body shop is, once a car has been hit it is never the same. It will rust faster depending on climate and may have electrical or other hidden problems in the long-term. You can do better for not much more money - for example I expect to sell my mint condition fully modded C32 for not a lot more than that by late summer. I'm not ready to let my baby go yet, so this is not about trying to get you to look at my car - I'm just saying that you can do better.
Well, I agree, but it was certified pre-owned by mercedes AFTER the body work was done, does that mean anything?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
Well, I agree, but it was certified pre-owned by mercedes AFTER the body work was done, does that mean anything?
Hmmm...some people here may claim that an MB CPO has no meaning, but I'm not one of those people. If they say it's fine, perhaps it is. That is a great price for that year and mileage, no doubt! Can you get them to Starmark it out to 100K miles at that price? If so, perhaps you should go for it.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

I wouldn't read into the "certified" stuff. They basically check the car over from a mechanical standpoint. Once you roll off the lot, you're like anyone else, unless it also comes with a StarMark (Mercedes) extended warranty. If you get that, AND it covers body issues (rust-through), then you may be OK.

I would not say "no" just because of body work, BUT I would expect a sizable discount for it.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
On C32's, are you able to change your own oil or do you have to go to a dealer and get them to do it? If so, how much is an oil change at a dealer?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
On C32's, are you able to change your own oil or do you have to go to a dealer and get them to do it? If so, how much is an oil change at a dealer?

You can change your oil without even bending over! The filter is on top, and I use a dipstick oil extractor. If you're even mildly handy, it's a breeze.

If you're paying for repairs and maintenance, I suggest you find a good local independent shop. For basic work, they should be equal to or better than the dealer.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
You can change your oil without even bending over! The filter is on top, and I use a dipstick oil extractor. If you're even mildly handy, it's a breeze.

If you're paying for repairs and maintenance, I suggest you find a good local independent shop. For basic work, they should be equal to or better than the dealer.
Wow that's awesome, I need one of those (where you get that?) :-) I'm used to jacking my car and up doing it the ol' fashioned way ! Thanks for all the advice, as long as Mercedes Benz checks it out tomorrow and it passes inspection, I'm 95% sure I'll have this car.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Wow that's awesome, I need one of those (where you get that?) :-) I'm used to jacking my car and up doing it the ol' fashioned way ! Thanks for all the advice, as long as Mercedes Benz checks it out tomorrow and it passes inspection, I'm 95% sure I'll have this car.
I got mine via a boater's equipment web site. Try www.boatersworld.com or www.westmarine.com.

I also picked up an attachment on Ebay that lets me suck brake fluid from the caliper to flush the fluid.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
I love my C32.. I have had some problems but all fixed under warranty. I have actually been considering buying another one!! LOL.. Tell you what.. I quickly forget any issue I have had when you can punch it at 80 and be at 120 in about 3 seconds.. LOL That seems to be where this car really has some fire!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Ok, I really wanted a C32 before browsing forums, but after browsing them, it seems like they're really problematic? Maybe it's because everyone complains about them instead of praises them on the forums.

Is there good things about it too?

Anyone got a C32 that hasn't broken much?

Also, how does the extended warranty work?

Does the private dealership just get the warranty for you from MB directly, or can you just go to MB and ask for a warranty anytime?

How much should a 2002 with about 35k miles on it cost (assuming great condition), and how much would an extended warranty run me, and what kind or problems should I look out for right off the bat?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted one real bad (until reading all the horror stories, now I'm second guessing).

Thanks.

Hey,
I love my car, this is the best car i have ever owned, it can do everything u can Imagen and then some. like some one else said earlier there is nothing like an 32 on an open highway. every car u get will have some problems, but this car for the most part is very well built and it stands up to the its name, however u will encounter some problems with the car but that all depends on what kind of driver u are. and u can buy a lot of used car that still have the extended warranty through Mercedes-Benz and they will fix your car till ur happy with it. Don't let the question on this form and any-other form fool u almost everyone that owns a C32 loves there car. when u are on a form, ppl will always talk about things that are not working with there car, but all the most common problems benz is already aware of and most used cars will have those problems fixed. So if u do find ur self behind the wheel of a C32 trust me u will fall in love with it. and a bonus is there are soo many different things that u can do to a C32 to personalize it. I would strongly recommend this car to any one that want the performance of a sports car but with a 4 door car. If u learn how to drive this car well, this car is faster then 80-90% daily drivers on the road out of the box with no mods to it.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
...this car is faster then 80-90% daily drivers on the road out of the box with no mods to it.
I think the correct number is more like 95% to 98%.

And it is an eye-popping highway car. The run from 60 to 100 is shockingly fast, and likely to get me in trouble one of these days.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:52 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter

And it is an eye-popping highway car. The run from 60 to 100 is shockingly fast, and likely to get me in trouble one of these days.
+1, easily

If you were to buy a newer car (2006+) with somewhat comparable luxury level and equal performance, you would be paying through the nose, which explains why that is the case.

Speaking of strong acceleration, long live the ESP (and the fact that it can be turned off ). The other day I floored the car at about 60 km/h to accelerate from a ramp and merge into the highway (I did not have to but it is damn hard to resist), wheels spun and the car slid sideways on a dry pavement - probably a foot or so sideways. These are winter tires btw. At that point ESP kicked in, reduced throttle and recovered quickly. Know your car before deciding to switch ESP off.

Last edited by gkstar; 02-13-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by gkstar
+1, easily

If you were to buy a newer car (2006+) with somewhat comparable luxury level and equal performance, you would be paying through the nose, which explains why that is the case.

Speaking of strong acceleration, long live the ESP (and the fact that it can be turned off ). The other day I floored the car at about 60 km/h to accelerate from a ramp and merge into the highway (I did not have to but it is damn hard to resist), wheels spun and the car slid sideways on a dry pavement - probably a foot or so sideways. These are winter tires btw. At that point ESP kicked in, reduced throttle and recovered quickly. Know your car before deciding to switch ESP off.
ESP is amazing. It is snowy outside, and I feel safer in my rwd C32 w/ Blizzak tires than in my Jeep 4x4 with Blizzaks.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jgsx
ESP is amazing. It is snowy outside, and I feel safer in my rwd C32 w/ Blizzak tires than in my Jeep 4x4 with Blizzaks.
I drove home today (snow/ice) in our Audi TT. AWD and ESP, the best of both worlds.

What's amazing about ESP is the way it actually corrects a bad skid with differential braking.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I drove home today (snow/ice) in our Audi TT. AWD and ESP, the best of both worlds.

What's amazing about ESP is the way it actually corrects a bad skid with differential braking.
How well does the Audi ESP work? Do you know how long Audi has had ESP? Do you know if the previous generation A4s had it standard?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG Maserati Coupe GT

And the car at 100 is as just smooth as 60. It really encourages you to go fast. You have to watch the speed so you won't get too many tickets.