C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Left Xenon Headlamp Housing needs replacement (OEM vs Xenon depot vs etc)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Left Xenon Headlamp Housing needs replacement (OEM vs Xenon depot vs etc)

hi guys it's confirmed that my intermitently working left xenon needs a new HEADLAMP HOUSING in order to fix it

OEM headlamp assembly are quite expensive here in Australia (quote AU$4300 )

so im looking around on ebay for W203 headlamp units (xenon depot), question is the reliability of these units on ebay (fogging, water leakage, etc)

anything else that you guys would like to reccomend to get replacement? how to get one from the US where it may be cheaper and willing to ship to australia

FYI, im also looking for Behr radiator (AU$1100+labour here ) i think it;s a LOT cheaper from the US

cheers
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 AM

C32
AMGV6K, not sure how helpful this is with your housing question, but I have been looking at all the headlight options available to us RHD cars....... unfortunatly the beam pattern of all the DEPO lights are LHD, which is no use to us......and as you found out, the OEM prices here in Aus are just rediculous.

I have gone the route of getting a set of DEPO housings, and I have bought a set of RHD Accura TSX projectors off HIDPlanet, and I am going to retrofit them into the DEPO housing. The total cost of this will end up being under $1000 including OEM quality ballasts, phillips bulbs, Depo housings, TSX projectors, and a bit of stuffing around retrofitting the projectors.

On top of the cost saving, the actual TSX Accura projectors are considered one of the best in the world...... this picture is of the amazing colour that is in the cuttoff with TSXs.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 AM

C32 AMG
holy sh*t that is nothing short of awesome!!! are you using the 6000k bulbs?

is the diameter of the TSX projector identical to the mercedes?

so you just changed the projector in the Depo with the TSX's to suit RHD beam pattern?

is the ballast and bulbs included along the TSX or the depo kit?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:42 AM

C32
That picture is with 4300K bulbs ....... they produce more white lite .... its the actual projectors that make the colour in the cutoff .... which is what oncomming traffic actually sees, not the 4300, or 6000K or whatever the colour is beamed onto the road.

The DEPO kit is just the housing .... the TSX are a RHD pattern, so you do not modify them ..... and you have to get bulbs and ballasts seperatly.

The pics are not my car.... I have bought the housings and the are in transit .... I will post pics when it is all installed, along with a DIY and pics of the process.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 AM

C32 AMG
i think i don't need the ballast/bulbs (i'll try to make the OEM fit) just need housing and RHD projectors...other than that options i'll try my luck on the salvage yard...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:58 AM

C32
If you are considering going this path, the HIDPlanet forums are amazing, especially the university forum, if it was not for them, I probably would have gone the very very expensive Bi-Xenon route.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, since i plan on doing something similar.

I had tsx projectors in my integra and i'm playning on doing a retro on the depo lights for my c32.

For the people who did the retro, is there enough room to put s2000's in there? or is the head light just too small for that. I want to put in either tsx's or s2000 projectors into the depo's.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 12-31-2007 at 06:22 AM.