My 1st Track Experience: Review & Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i just want to know why i didn't get a phone call to come?

sounds like you had fun, did you take any video?
1FASTC32 - What's up my friend! Trust me... I thought about it. One of my friends got four tickets by test-driving a ML350 at MB of Sugarland. I think that dealer owns the track. That specific track event was $300 and I would've felt bad if you were the only one paying for it.

The guy that organizes the track events every 3 weeks turns out to be from my hometown in Venezuela. Hopefully we can work something out for a group of us.

Lunch next week?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
vraa - I live a mile south of downtown by the medical center but I work in Pasadena. A meet sounds good. 1FASTC32 and I hang out every once in a while.

Let us know whenever.

Carlos

Originally Posted by vraa
I've been meaning to go -- where in Houston are you? I'm in Sugar Land.

Maybe we can get an mbworld.org event going over the summer.

Last edited by ///AMG4EVER; 03-30-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:38 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
1FASTC32 - What's up my friend! Trust me... I thought about it. One of my friends got four tickets by test-driving a ML350 at MB of Sugarland. I think that dealer owns the track. That specific track event was $300 and I would've felt bad if you were the only one paying for it.

The guy that organizes the track events every 3 weeks turns out to be from my hometown in Venezuela. Hopefully we can work something out for a group of us.

Lunch next week?

man, you know i am just messing with you...let's definitely get together next week, i will come by on thursday for lunch @ noon...i need to check out that other wheel as well...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
man, you know i am just messing with you...let's definitely get together next week, i will come by on thursday for lunch @ noon...i need to check out that other wheel as well...
Ok perfect.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by 03c32AMG
AMG4ever, thanks for your post. I appreciated reading it because I will be tracking my 03 in about 5 weeks at Sebring. I have made almost the identical preparations you'd made...new OEM rotors, ss brake lines, Ate 200 fluid, Porterfield R4s pads. I also put new Goodyear GS D3s on the back last week to give them some miles prior to the track. I have read the information posted by the track day sponsor (Chin Motorsport) and wonder if you have any other words of wisdom for me. Do gloves help? How many others wear them? Did you wear regular sneakers? How hard was it to remove and then reinstall the spare? Sorry for all the questions, but since you just went for the first time, I think you are the ideal person to ask. Thanks for your reply. I want to learn all I can.
03c32AMG - ask as many questions as you want. I did the same. The new brakes and tires will definitely help. Check OPM's post here. That basically sums it up.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=handling+101

The spare tire is just a few bolts and brackets. I was wearing some skinny comfortable shoes (indoor soccer shoes). My brother was wearing those racing style pumas. Wear cotton clothes. I wasn't wearing any gloves, but many drivers were. The driver in the second picture is my friend, the passenger is me. He was teaching me the basics around the track. I got to drive the car after 5 laps. Get familiar with the track, print out the layout and imaging the line, then compare.

Take a good night of sleep. Bring lots of water/sports drinks. Be safe and have fun.

Post your results and take some pics.

Carlos
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
OPM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I am late to the party, but I’ll say it anyway – Good going Carlos, congrats. Welcome to the club man.

Looking ahead is a valuable real-world skill as anybody speeding across Nova Scotia can attest to (see below). Be patient, it will take a few events to start mastering this skill. On an open flat track (like the one you were on) it should be easier to learn. After you get seriously hooked, try to come up North East or Canada. Our tracks are full of hills and blind corners. It’s a whole new ballgame – you’ll love it.

As you get faster the gas consumption will go way up. My S4 uses 1.25 tank/event. That’s 20gal to go 70ml = 3.5mpg. This year I’ll be running stage3 with 550cc injectors, can anybody say 2 tanks?

AWDman – I think he is talking about “chunking”. Stock Dunlops are unlikely to pickup much (not all the way to paddocks anyway) and if you look at the track he was on it looks like most marbles would end up in grass. It’s not like NHIS where all this **** bounces off the walls. Carlos it’s most likely means your friend was coming in too hot into some turns (too much speed + too much steering). Of course it could be many other things too, but I bet he was just overcooking the turn.
Attached Thumbnails My 1st Track Experience: Review & Pics-nova-scotia.jpg  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
That's a very nice view OPM.

You are right about the flat track, there was only one fast curve with a hill. Here I had a bit of traction problems coming down. I accelerated getting out of the curve and ESP will always kick in... it's felt like the car was floating for half a second or so...

Anyway, it was a great experience and I appreciate all the input you brought to the table.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM

Currently on foot.
Remember when David E Davis wrote "It's more fun to drive slow cars fast then fast cars slow." LOL. Or maybe not as that WAS over 20 years ago. (Of course I've always had an urge to bomb around Italy in a wee Fiat since........)

I have to say congratulations and the main point was you had fun. As long as you had fun, who cares what we think!!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OPM
AWDman – I think he is talking about “chunking”. Stock Dunlops are unlikely to pickup much (not all the way to paddocks anyway) and if you look at the track he was on it looks like most marbles would end up in grass. It’s not like NHIS where all this **** bounces off the walls. Carlos it’s most likely means your friend was coming in too hot into some turns (too much speed + too much steering). Of course it could be many other things too, but I bet he was just overcooking the turn.
I get a ton of pick-up on my street tires from the R-compounds. I cut a tire stem once and brought the tire to a Goodyear shop near the track (VIR) and the guy though I had driven through a bunch of tar. My treads were incredibly gummed up with rubber goo.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
OPM

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I get a ton of pick-up on my street tires from the R-compounds. I cut a tire stem once and brought the tire to a Goodyear shop near the track (VIR) and the guy though I had driven through a bunch of tar. My treads were incredibly gummed up with rubber goo.
Wow, that’s some serious pickup. I never seen anything close to that on my S4 nor have I seen it on other cars. Having said that, I have never been to VIR. I missed my opportunity last year and by the looks of it I will not make it there this year either. I suppose it’s possible for marbles to cause such major problems. For example, at NHIS, if you to get right next to the wall you would pickup all kind of ****. But I, as most drivers, stay about 5’ from the wall. Anyway, based on looks of the track Carlos was on, I still believe it’s most likely chunking rather than the marble pickup.

Hey Fifth, I am hoping to go with NEQ to Calabogie Motorsport Park. It looks like a cool track. Do you have any plans to attend?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by OPM
Wow, that’s some serious pickup. I never seen anything close to that on my S4 nor have I seen it on other cars. Having said that, I have never been to VIR. I missed my opportunity last year and by the looks of it I will not make it there this year either. I suppose it’s possible for marbles to cause such major problems. For example, at NHIS, if you to get right next to the wall you would pickup all kind of ****. But I, as most drivers, stay about 5’ from the wall. Anyway, based on looks of the track Carlos was on, I still believe it’s most likely chunking rather than the marble pickup.

Hey Fifth, I am hoping to go with NEQ to Calabogie Motorsport Park. It looks like a cool track. Do you have any plans to attend?
i think fifth only does a few events a yr close to his area. (DC).

i was all set to run calabogie with COMS until they insisted on a roll bar in my amg. i have a buddy in ottawa who wanted to run as well.

just found NEQ page- looks like calabogie is 3 day event. that sucks as i don't have that chunk of time to commit.

OPM, just had a really great experience with SCDA at lime rock this past monday. They run quite a few events up at NHIS your neck of the woods.....i'll be up there at some point. u have an amg?

Last edited by AWDman; 04-05-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM
OPM

To the best of my knowledge it’s a 2day event like ALL other Audi events. I believe the third day(or rather the first day) is for instructors only. They have the same setup for Mt. Tremblant events. When you drive that far – 2day events are the best, especially if the weather sucks. I’ll double check this and I’ll let you know because I do not have 3days either.

I have 2001 S4 and 2006 C55. However, this year S4 is being turn into a club-racer so it should be even more fun to play with it. C55 never been to a track and unlikely to ever see it while I own it.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Looked liek a lot of fun. Makes me wish I lived by the track still Nothing close enough to go to on a regular basis.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
If you have the remote thought about tracking your car... I recommend you pull the trigger. It is definitely a experience that needs to be in your checklist.

I already know what I want for my birthday this summer!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
OPM

AWDman, I had confirmed it to be a 2day event. June 30 is only open to instructors. So all you need is Monday and Tuesday off. I am planning to drive there on Saturday; race Sunday and Monday; and drive back Tuesday. Hope you can make it.

code3smith, where do you live? I am sure there is a track near you. Look here for help www.na-motorsports.com
Old 04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OPM

For now, I stick with VIR (Southern VA - 4 hours drive) and Summit Point (about a 70 minute drive). If I venture, it would probably be to BeaveRun or Pocono. As noted, I do a couple each year, so proximity is nice.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM
OPM

For now, I stick with VIR (Southern VA - 4 hours drive) and Summit Point (about a 70 minute drive). If I venture, it would probably be to BeaveRun or Pocono. As noted, I do a couple each year, so proximity is nice.
Fifth, you live in DC correct? If so, I would try to make it to WG instead of BeaveRun or Pocono. It’d be a 6+ hours drive, but it’s worth it. And yes Canada is a bit tooooo far.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OPM
Fifth, you live in DC correct? If so, I would try to make it to WG instead of BeaveRun or Pocono. It’d be a 6+ hours drive, but it’s worth it. And yes Canada is a bit tooooo far.
WG would be cool. Any track that I've seen on TV or "driven" on computer sims is fun in real life.

I've got 3 little kids and a demanding job; and until the kids get older or I get disbarred, I have to squeeze in the track fun. At some point, I'll stop dragging my lard-*** C32 to track events and buy a real track-worthy car for these things.

(Yes, I live in the DC area. There are at least 6 or 7 tracks in a 6 hour driving radius.)

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 04-10-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WG would be cool. Any track that I've seen on TV or "driven" on computer sims is fun in real life.

I've got 3 little kids and a demanding job; and until the kids get older or I get disbarred, I have to squeeze in the track fun. At some point, I'll stop dragging my lard-*** C32 to track events and buy a real track-worthy car for these things.

(Yes, I live in the DC area. There are at least 6 or 7 tracks in a 6 hour driving radius.)

how about dragging your lard *** and the c32 to summit point 4/21? i'll be there. $195 - 4 x20 mins sessions and a time trial.

3 kids! and has time to post! wow!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OPM
AWDman, I had confirmed it to be a 2day event. June 30 is only open to instructors. So all you need is Monday and Tuesday off. I am planning to drive there on Saturday; race Sunday and Monday; and drive back Tuesday. Hope you can make it.

code3smith, where do you live? I am sure there is a track near you. Look here for help www.na-motorsports.com
thanks i'll check my schedule. i may have made some biz plans that could prempt that day. not to mention that weekend is my wedding anniversary!

i'm an early riser (4:30/5:00 am) so getting to pocono 160 miles away is a piece of cake. that why i love the one day events. the drive back is usually ok even tho i'm tired i'm on cloud 9.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AWDman
how about dragging your lard *** and the c32 to summit point 4/21? i'll be there. $195 - 4 x20 mins sessions and a time trial.

3 kids! and has time to post! wow!
I'll be at VIR the 23rd/24th, so I'll have to pass. I'm going to do a Benz club (Tri-O-Rama) in the fall at Slummit Point. They have competitive lapping, acceleration and autocross.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll be at VIR the 23rd/24th, so I'll have to pass. I'm going to do a Benz club (Tri-O-Rama) in the fall at Slummit Point. They have competitive lapping, acceleration and autocross.

Greg, if you can pl spin by anyway. You welcome to try my c32 for first hand feel of renntech springs......oh yes 420bhp may also be of interest..
Cecil.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AWDman
Greg, if you can pl spin by anyway. You welcome to try my c32 for first hand feel of renntech springs......oh yes 420bhp may also be of interest..
Cecil.

Long shot, but I won't rule it out. Today I joined a buddy and his firm at their annual "Grand Prix" at a local indoor go kart track. What a hoot. I've never Karted before.

Have you thought about coming out to the MB "Tri-O-Rama" at Summit? The only downside is that I lose any chance of winning any of the competitions!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM

2005 Renntech C class
[QUOTE=
Personally, I don't think I'd want more HP on track. First, I really get no thrill about top speed. I've topped 135 at VIR and frankly it's just a shorter trip to the next turn. Second, high horsepower can give you the impression of success (you keep up with better drivers) and prevent you from focusing on better car control techniques. The best drivers are the guys who win in Spec Miata and other low-HP classes.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more!