C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Wheel Aligment Question - Tire Size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wheel Aligment Question - Tire Size

So, I have this little problem (I hope). I just recently got new tires for my C55 (BFG 275 Rear Only - Replacing the factory tires I think they were 245). And the left side seems to be scrapping a bit ( A jarring sound). So the tires are within spec of what MB recommends.

Considering that my car was rear ended like 2 months ago, and the body shop did not do a wheel aligment. I took my car back to the body shop, and he says I migth have suspension damage, but will not know until I do a wheel aligment, so:

1. With a rear end acccident do I need an aligment?
2. With the new tires (275) in the rear replacing the ones from factory will it need an aligment?
3. Can i just take it to any shop for the aligment, the stealer charges $280, what is your experience with aligment with MB?

The scrapping is not bad, I only hear it when I go thru heavy dips on the road. Have you guys had any similar problem like this? Any advice, comments, recomendation will help.

Thank you!!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by rhernand07
So, I have this little problem (I hope). I just recently got new tires for my C55 (BFG 275 Rear Only - Replacing the factory tires I think they were 245). And the left side seems to be scrapping a bit ( A jarring sound). So the tires are within spec of what MB recommends.

Considering that my car was rear ended like 2 months ago, and the body shop did not do a wheel aligment. I took my car back to the body shop, and he says I migth have suspension damage, but will not know until I do a wheel aligment, so:

1. With a rear end acccident do I need an aligment?
2. With the new tires (275) in the rear replacing the ones from factory will it need an aligment?
3. Can i just take it to any shop for the aligment, the stealer charges $280, what is your experience with aligment with MB?

The scrapping is not bad, I only hear it when I go thru heavy dips on the road. Have you guys had any similar problem like this? Any advice, comments, recomendation will help.

Thank you!!
Are you saying that you have 275mm rear tires on the car? If that is the case they are NOT in factory spec at all and you are hearing the tire rubbing the body in one of several places likely. No alignment will fix that as its just to wide for the body of the car. I have fit a 275 on a W203 for racing (really a 285 in section width) but that took totally insane amounts of body modification to make it fit. Even then the tire still rubs on the inside a slight bit.

I think you need to go back down to a 255 size tire at most. You can get 265 to fit with not too much work but it all depends on the wheel off-set. If you are running a factory wheel 265 is also to big for the wheel... let alone a 275.

Please post some more info so we can get your issue solved.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

My car is in the shop at the moment. Taking care of some other issues. However if I recall rigth, the new tires are 275 in the back. I will double check once I get my car back from the dealer.

Discount Tire told me that the new tires arewithin spec of what MB recommends, so I follow his advice.

1. What is the widest I can go?
2. What does MB recommend in width of the tires?

The new tires ride good ( I will take pictures and post ponce I get my car back). The noise comes only from the left side, and only when I go thru deep dips.

I will post some pics, and more info of the exact size of the tires once I get my car back, hopefully today.

Thank you very much for your help Cyn!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:29 PM

2018 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by rhernand07
My car is in the shop at the moment. Taking care of some other issues. However if I recall rigth, the new tires are 275 in the back. I will double check once I get my car back from the dealer.

Discount Tire told me that the new tires arewithin spec of what MB recommends, so I follow his advice.

1. What is the widest I can go?
2. What does MB recommend in width of the tires?

The new tires ride good ( I will take pictures and post ponce I get my car back). The noise comes only from the left side, and only when I go thru deep dips.

I will post some pics, and more info of the exact size of the tires once I get my car back, hopefully today.

Thank you very much for your help Cyn!!
It definitely sounds like you have some rubbing issues. That's exactly what happened in my BMW when i put on tires that were too wide. With my lowered suspension, it made the rubbing even worse. it's a real safety issue, so I'd get it taken care of as soon as possible.

I'm no expert, but from my experience I can tell you that if it's coming from one side it could just be some alignment issues.. sometimes a little camber adjustment can help too.

The one thing you'll realize is that if you switch the rear tires, you're gonna have a helluva time selling them. You'd be lucky to get $100 a tire no matter what you paid. I have 1 tire sitting around that was too big (popped the other for a different reason) and I can't give the damn thing away.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
I had a similar problem and took it back to Discount tire the next day and told them to downgrade the tire width to what it originally was, although i think I was trying 255's or 265's and went down a size. They replaced it for just the cost of the installation of the new ones (and then no more rubbing)
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 PM

So here is more information. I have confirmed:

1. My rear tire size is 275/35 BFG G-Force
2. Attach are some pictures, I hope they help.
3. the sound only comes from the left, from what I can hear.

a) So, will a wheel aligment fix my problem?
b) Sears charges $69 and Autoscope (Specialty MB Repair shop) charges $139, which one??

Thanks you for your help!!!
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Aligment Question - Tire Size-leftside.jpg   Wheel Aligment Question - Tire Size-rigthside.jpg