track day $325....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by AWDman
Thanks John. Indeed it was. the boosted c32 was MUCH faster than the rs4s- cornering and straight line speed....i have ~10-30 hp more and 400 lbs less. the caymans and elises also no prob. it's like i have an all new car. incredible. my tranny guy called me this am with a $2600 installed price on the quaife lsd. I'm working him down but will do that next.

also...i'm out of intermediate into advanced (at lime rock only). cool.
Did you ever get that Quaife and how did it help???
Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Tires

I bought them on a recomendation from Tirerack after I was going to purchase my old trusted Goodyear GS-D3's. They are the Bridgestone 050 Pole Positions. They were made for Autocross regulations, ie treadware is only 140, the minimum that the SCCA allows for stock/street class. All I can tell you is that they are one AMAZING tire on the track. They are almost as good as Kuhmo R tires, for lap times. So far, about 1000 miles they have proven to be quite, good in the rain, EXTRA sticky, and just plain FUN/Predictable on the track. I have run 1 1/2 events with them now. The 1/2 was stock perriels up fornt with them in the back. As long as you understand that you won't get 10,000 miles out of them they are a MUST HAVE. By FAR the best street tire that I have ever taken to the track.

See yeah

Any update on these tires. I am in market for new set and was wondering how they'd do on a Daily driver (not in winter)??? How are they holding up??

PS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position[/QUOTE]
Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Newchspy no i never did get that quaife lsd installed......i was still thinking about it but since i don't track the car, don't drag race and don't drive it in snow there is really no need at this point.

Steve yeah the whole towing issue is a pita. still don't know if ill get a cheap truck just for towing or get a suv to do it all. i am leaning to getting something aluminium tho. great advice, thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Renntech C class
not sure if you're still on yoko A048's but they're not that great....

Try the toyo r888 or nitto nt01 for the best bang/buck track day tire =)
Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Any update on these tires. I am in market for new set and was wondering how they'd do on a Daily driver (not in winter)??? How are they holding up??

PS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
[/QUOTE]

Hey Newz:

Well, they are still on the car, and I am still LOVEING them I would HIGHLY recomend them to anyone that really enjoys driving their car, the way it was meant to be driven. I have about 2000 miles on them, with 2 1/2 track days and they still are holding up well. Heck, you really can't even make a mistake from a launch, unless you brake torque it

In a word "YES" they are that good.

See yeah
Old 09-10-2008, 01:01 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Im running those bridgestone tires on AMG monoblocks. They are great at autocross, very sticky tires when warmed. Although my rear tires have been wearing out fairly quickly but i think it has to do with the negative camber the 9" rear wheels have created.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no i don't use the yokes anymore. i've tried hankook z214 and now on to a set of bfg r1s. way stickier than r888 or nt01s. the bfgs are wearing very well. on track next week at nj - thundebolt.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Hey Newz:

Well, they are still on the car, and I am still LOVEING them I would HIGHLY recomend them to anyone that really enjoys driving their car, the way it was meant to be driven. I have about 2000 miles on them, with 2 1/2 track days and they still are holding up well. Heck, you really can't even make a mistake from a launch, unless you brake torque it

In a word "YES" they are that good.

See yeah[/QUOTE]

For the October drags in IN, would they work for me??? The Michelin PS II's I am running suck for the drags!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Newchspy no i never did get that quaife lsd installed......i was still thinking about it but since i don't track the car, don't drag race and don't drive it in snow there is really no need at this point.

Steve yeah the whole towing issue is a pita. still don't know if ill get a cheap truck just for towing or get a suv to do it all. i am leaning to getting something aluminium tho. great advice, thanks.
My ML 55 tows like a son of a gun and can be had for cheap now too
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
For the October drags in IN, would they work for me??? The Michelin PS II's I am running suck for the drags!!!
YES Newz, they are also good for draggin. Just keep in mind that they are NOT as good as a drag radial, however they WILL help ALOT

They dropped my 0-60 times by alittle over 0.15 seconds, aka from a 4.95 with Perriel's down to 4.8 with the Bridgstones. Overall, a VERY nice improvement my friend.

See yeah
Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 PM
OPM

My ML 55 tows like a son of a gun and can be had for cheap now too
Well, that depends on what and where you tow as well as how comfortable you want to be while doing it. Can you comfortably tow Trailex with 944 on top across the plains of Nebraska? Of course! How about 28’ enclosed fully loaded with tires, tools, fuel and car across the Rockies? Although ML55 might make it – it sure will not be a fun ride. BTW ML55 is rated for 5000lb which is about the empty weight of 28’ enclosed. I bet trainy will be the first thing to die – that is if you do not crash sooner. If I was forced to use ML, than CDI would be my choice and I would only use aluminum. GL CDI is a slightly better choice for towing. With GL you can comfortably due 18’ open steel.

However, nothing is better than a dedicated tow vehicle. With prices these days you can pick up F350 7.3 turbo diesel with under 100K miles and only 5-8 years old for $4-8K. I’d get utility body, it has a ton of external compartments for tools, fuel, cloths, etc., and you can setup tirerack in the bed. It will comfortably tow any open trailer or most enclosed.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
OPM

...on track next week at nj - thundebolt.
I think you will like T-bolt. It’s a high hp track, consequently, C32 is better suited for it than M3. So take benz if you can. Take a look at this video http://www.vimeo.com/1604036 He has a very good like trough most of the course. He is leaving a little bit on the table, but overall his line is great. This track is about tires and power (assuming you are on the right line). 2 high brake turns, 3 mid brake turns and the rest do not need brakes at all – may be a lift here and there if you get too hot. Watch out for sand and if it rain the track gets slick in a hurry. In the rain I would lift in the back straight hump. You will complete offload your front at the top of the hill – even more so than at LRP. And they do not have a flagger at the top of the hill. So if there is a slower car in front you can easily rear-end it in the rain. So I lifted, loose a second, save a weekend. Some of the turns are WOT, so pack your ***** and have fun.

PS – there is a video of a guy in the Evo. Do not watch it. His line is totally wrong.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steve thanks so much for both posts above, excellent info as usual. i will study the video in conjunction with a track map (i have). weather looks great i was worried about remants of Ike.

the m3 is turning laps faster than c32 and is more fun to drive.....so i'm done tracking the c32 anyway i may have a buyer. (i'm a reluctant seller...i do love this car).

i realise the tow rating is only one piece of the puzzle. i'll prob contact you offline for advice. i'm thinking a dedicated vehicle is the way to go. like you pointed out- you can store tires, tools etc in the vehicle. no need to unpack hell i may not even need to unlatch the trailer.

me and some buds are heading to LRP 9/27 to spectate the narcc scca event. dunno if you're interested. that event is usually blessed with beautiful weather.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
OPM

...me and some buds are heading to LRP 9/27 to spectate the narcc scca event. dunno if you're interested. that event is usually blessed with beautiful weather.
On the 27th I’ll be at Mt. Tremblant with NEQ. One of these days we’ll meet – may be next season. Shoot me an email about towing and I’ll share what I know, which is not much.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok cool enjoy the day and i'm sure we'll catch up at some point.

this is my friend who shot the vids above. he's a hot shoe. he won the redline time attack last week at thunderbolt for RWD street class. he's running on runflats :-O i just had him coach me using the vid you posted plus his below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDkofsHGeHo
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Willow Springs:

http://www.opentrackracing.com/

Thanks to CynCarvin32 and SMG for their hospitality. They chased down and ran away from many a ‘faster’ machine. They’re highly skilled and know how to get after it. With any luck, I’ll chase ‘em during the next event a lop ~five seconds off my time.

Kindly forgive the threadjack, AWDman.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by OPM
Well, that depends on what and where you tow as well as how comfortable you want to be while doing it. Can you comfortably tow Trailex with 944 on top across the plains of Nebraska? Of course! How about 28’ enclosed fully loaded with tires, tools, fuel and car across the Rockies? Although ML55 might make it – it sure will not be a fun ride. BTW ML55 is rated for 5000lb which is about the empty weight of 28’ enclosed. I bet trainy will be the first thing to die – that is if you do not crash sooner. If I was forced to use ML, than CDI would be my choice and I would only use aluminum. GL CDI is a slightly better choice for towing. With GL you can comfortably due 18’ open steel.

However, nothing is better than a dedicated tow vehicle. With prices these days you can pick up F350 7.3 turbo diesel with under 100K miles and only 5-8 years old for $4-8K. I’d get utility body, it has a ton of external compartments for tools, fuel, cloths, etc., and you can setup tirerack in the bed. It will comfortably tow any open trailer or most enclosed.
OPM, we're talking a couple of miles and he can use the ML55 like I do as a DD, try that in a pig of a F-350 and park the thing too. CDI is nice truck BUT 1. They do NOT discount them much and 2. Diesel in Chicago is still about 75 cents more per gallon than regular and about 55 cents more than premium. I don't think he's talking about High Plains Trucking here. BY the way, nice vid, I watched the whole thing. Those Minis sure do handle nice BUT don't seem to have a lot of oats??

Last edited by Newzchspy; 09-18-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM
OPM

Re: spliter – this is an ongoing “track” post so your photos add value. They are very nice. Was the racers tape on sale that week?

Re: Newzchspy – I am not arguing. If one already has or wants to have ML as a DD, it sure can perform double duty as a tow vehicle. I know a few guys who tow with ML and X5. However, in such case it’s best to get a very light trailer e.g. Trailex. If you do a few track events per year and they are close to you – I see no issues at all. However, with long tows and heavy track schedule one could benefit by more truck. Having convenience of a garage on wheels is cool. I was suggesting F-350 utility body strictly as a dedicated tow truck. Who would want a utility body as a DD anyway?

As for CDI – 1) I am not in the market for either, so I am not familiar with current prices or resale values, but isn’t 320 costs about $6K less than 500? 2) I sure hope you are filling your ML55 with premium. Although there is a price difference between diesel and premium, there is also MPG difference. CDI will get you 6-8 miles more. So the operating costs are actually very similar.

Back on topic: Cecil so what do you think about T-bolt?

-
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OPM
Re: spliter – this is an ongoing “track” post so your photos add value. They are very nice. Was the racers tape on sale that week?

Re: Newzchspy – I am not arguing. If one already has or wants to have ML as a DD, it sure can perform double duty as a tow vehicle. I know a few guys who tow with ML and X5. However, in such case it’s best to get a very light trailer e.g. Trailex. If you do a few track events per year and they are close to you – I see no issues at all. However, with long tows and heavy track schedule one could benefit by more truck. Having convenience of a garage on wheels is cool. I was suggesting F-350 utility body strictly as a dedicated tow truck. Who would want a utility body as a DD anyway?

As for CDI – 1) I am not in the market for either, so I am not familiar with current prices or resale values, but isn’t 320 costs about $6K less than 500? 2) I sure hope you are filling your ML55 with premium. Although there is a price difference between diesel and premium, there is also MPG difference. CDI will get you 6-8 miles more. So the operating costs are actually very similar.

Back on topic: Cecil so what do you think about T-bolt?

-
splinter nice pix...

i loved t-bolt. here's some video. me following the pesky elises, exiges. i missed some heel and toe and cab carry more speed through the corners..... i had a really good 1st time. OPM thanks for the tips...look forward to next year. http://www.vimeo.com/1890170
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
OPM

Thanks for the video. Overall great run. You could have turn-in a bit earlier here and there to gain a few miles, but overall and especially for the first day at the track, it was nicely done. The only place that seemed to be an obstacle is the octopus. It seems you were searching for a right line, but could not find it. Although I was not in the car and therefore cannot be sure, I have a feeling the line you settled on is not the best. It combined slow portions of 2 possible lines through those corners. I too battled the octopus most of the weekend – tricky b*st*rd. But I think in the end I found a good line. Unfortunately I do not have any data to confirm my impression. That is why I am planning to install data acquisition for the next season.

How much work do you have left on the M until the next season? What is the overall target?

Last edited by OPM; 10-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M3??? tons of work i'm afraid. this was last monday- lost it coming onto the banking at pocono south. tried to catch it but couldn't..was sliding sideways nose pointing to the wall, nosed in, tires then grabbed i had it locked left the car went backwards square into the wall. i'm ok the chassis is toast. will rebuild into a new chassis over winter.
Attached Thumbnails track day 5....-sspx0183.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
OPM

M3??? tons of work i'm afraid...
Oh… f*** me raw!!! Cecil, I am so sorry to hear this. I am happy you are ok. I know it must be painful, but in the end it’s just metal. Still, this news spoiled my day.

By the looks of it you should be able to pickup 328 and transplant almost everything. It sure looks to be a busy winter. Do you have video?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
M3??? tons of work i'm afraid. this was last monday- lost it coming onto the banking at pocono south. tried to catch it but couldn't..was sliding sideways nose pointing to the wall, nosed in, tires then grabbed i had it locked left the car went backwards square into the wall. i'm ok the chassis is toast. will rebuild into a new chassis over winter.
Sorry to hear about this Cecil

But VERY glad to hear your okay

As the man said, its only sheetmetal, and that my friend is EASY to replace. Good luck over the winter, and maybe we can play next year

See yeah
Old 10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the sympathetic commiserations Steve and Marty. thankfully I'm fine. I expected to bend the heck out of it but not so soon. this car was a treat to drive....but i'll be back. it's hard not to go looking for 318s or 325s even tho the need is distant 4-5 months away. my heads still in it you know how that goes....a lingering red mist...just wanna get in and GO..rip up track...boy it's gonna be along winter.

i was scheduled to run my last event with scda at lime rock tomorrow but i canceled (vs running the amg) and will spectate as my friends enjoy the day.

next year i'm looking at the maxq unit for $600 or so. hey you guys on facebook?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
cyncarver......too late i ruined my two front tires..sucks. one was a brand new ps2. ordered replacement kumho spt ($154 @ discount tire).

got the car back a few hrs ago with brandons heat exchanger installed. left the bumber off- drove straight to the body shop for fender rolling and paintwork. hopefully this takes care of the interference issue. rather than replace the mirror housing i got the chrome covers from formymercedes so now i'm blinging....

the car just feels awesome with the kmac bushings. i had my guy take them out and lube the inner sections. they don't squeek now hopefully the extra viscous lube holds and is a permanent fix. however the control arm bushing did have some play, will have to moniter.

my front 245/40 bfg r1s were mounted and just dropped off- they are wide but hopefully they will fit without hitting strut tube.

the car was not holding charge whilst at the shop for the HE install past week. may have a short somewhere.....will address that when i get it back.
AWD, got my extra set of rims from Scott(stock sizes , all original) , NOW what is your strong recommendation for the tires?? Bridgestones or what??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: track day $325....