C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

c55 vs. Audi S4 vs. 335i. Which one is best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' C32 Amg
i'd get a c55 or s4. The 335i is nice ( The thing handles like crazy) but it's still not an AMG or S. Thinking about this makes me want to trade in my c32 for a c55!! BUT...that is too much cash for me.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 AM

996 C4, previously owned 996 c2, c32 amg, 350z, R33 GTR, R34 GTR
why not a used m3?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
I own a C55 and have driven an S4 and 335i extensively. Without a single doubt in my mind, I would go w/ the C55. The biggest disadvantage the current C55 has it's available technology. Mainly because it's a dated design and the new C class has all the goodies in the tech. department.

The S4 is easily the 3rd best choice out of the 3 cars you mentioned. It's the most boring to drive and also the slowest. In addition, you will probably have the most problems w/ the Audi.

The 335 has the most features and almost equal road feel and handling to the C55 which is quite amazing considering this is not an M car. I'm sure the new M3 will destroy the current C55 at all facets.

For "raw" power, road feel and handling you should go w/ the C55. I also think the interior on these cars is the best of the 3 as well. The seats are some of the best I've ever seen and the feel of the buttons, materials, headliner, etc are all top notch for this class of a car. I also get quite a few compliments on the C55 which I doubt you would ever receive on an S4 or 335 due to their bland natures.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ash-c32
why not a used m3?
Good suggestion, although most tests of the 335 says that it's pretty much on par with the prior generation M3.

My views:

S4: Nice interior, good power, great traction, very good handling, a car that turns heads, manual tranny available.

C55: Lots of power, very good handling, a car that does NOT turn heads (very conservative styling - very little to distinguish it from a C230). No manual tranny available.

335: Good power, excellent handling, manual tranny, does NOT turn heads.

Anything used will have a higher risk of questionable reliability, but will depreciate less (so you'll get back more of your investment when you sell.

For the uses you indicate, any of these cars will make you very happy. So just drive them and decide for yourself.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
I'm sure the new M3 will destroy the current C55 at all facets.
W/ only 300 tq and max hp available at 8000+RPM, which is close to redline, I personally doubt it.... it may be faster but only marginally faster. But the jury is still out.... so we'll see.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:58 AM

'14 CLA 45
If I had the choice I would go with the BMW, because:

C55:
- used
- less warranty
- gotta pay for service
- soon to be an outdated model

S4:
- used
- less warranty
- overall its overrated IMO
- not as aggressive looking

BMW:
- 4 yrs free maintenance/ warranty
- very new model
- sporty
- best handling I'd say (comes close to RS4 on Nuerburgring)
- def enough power for americ. streets
- good (cheaper) performance upgrades than Audi or MB

reliability is a question, but BMW is always better than MB, at least whats known by the ADAC in germany
Old 04-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
I have over 25,00 miles on my c55 and theres havn't been any problems at all. Inside and out, the car passes for brand new. The c55 is an amazing all around car. it has an amzing engine and the interior is very nice too. The handling is very good for a mercedes and i believe rivals almost any bmw out there. (it ran just about the same time around the ring as the e46 m3) The car is considerably faster than a b6 or b7 s4 and is slightly faster than the 335. If you chip or do much else to a 335 then your warrenty is gone anyway. You could buy a used c55 and buy the extended warrenty and you would have most likely 6 yrs of coverage. Another memeber said that the c55 doesnt get attention but i dont agree with that. I think that it is one of the best looking benz;s out there and i get alot of compliments on it. Overall, the c55 is just a rock solid car that handles great and and is fast as hell for a little 4 door sedan.

note: i have driven all 3 cars (auto c55 auto 335 manual s4)
Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Audi S4 Avant and BMW X5 4.4
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
The S4 is easily the 3rd best choice out of the 3 cars you mentioned. It's the most boring to drive and also the slowest. In addition, you will probably have the most problems w/ the Audi.

I also think the interior on these cars is the best of the 3 as well. The seats are some of the best I've ever seen and the feel of the buttons, materials, headliner, etc are all top notch for this class of a car. I also get quite a few compliments on the C55 which I doubt you would ever receive on an S4 or 335 due to their bland natures.

Hope this helps.
thats a blanket statement if I have ever seen one.......not only does it not hold water, but clearly biased. How would one have the "most problems" with a new B7 S4? That's a ridiculous statement and complete farce in itself. The Audi is no more susceptible to problems than a C55 or 335i.....and if anything, LESS PRONE to problems. 335i has had its share of problems being a new model (from fuel pump, to overheating issues, etc). Also....MB build quality and reliability record is NOTHING to sing home about in the last few years.

Also......let's not even talk interiors....please. You may prefer the interior of you C55, that's fine. But to say its best in its class?!!! I LOL'ed at that one......since Audi interiors are one of the best, if not best around. "Market Leading" is usually the term used for Audi interiors for the tops 4 German brands (between Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche). And this last statement is an opinion on my part.....but a B7 S4 is more "aggresive" lines than your C55......which would easily get more "compliments" easily. 335i can hold its own in the looks department as well...despite being "bland" as you call it. Let's be fair at least when making comparisons
Old 04-13-2007, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE
thats a blanket statement if I have ever seen one.......not only does it not hold water, but clearly biased. How would one have the "most problems" with a new B7 S4? That's a ridiculous statement and complete farce in itself. The Audi is no more susceptible to problems than a C55 or 335i.....and if anything, LESS PRONE to problems. 335i has had its share of problems being a new model (from fuel pump, to overheating issues, etc). Also....MB build quality and reliability record is NOTHING to sing home about in the last few years.

Also......let's not even talk interiors....please. You may prefer the interior of you C55, that's fine. But to say its best in its class?!!! I LOL'ed at that one......since Audi interiors are one of the best, if not best around. "Market Leading" is usually the term used for Audi interiors for the tops 4 German brands (between Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche). And this last statement is an opinion on my part.....but a B7 S4 is more "aggresive" lines than your C55......which would easily get more "compliments" easily. 335i can hold its own in the looks department as well...despite being "bland" as you call it. Let's be fair at least when making comparisons
+1, its stupid to ask a bunch of C55 owners which one out of the 3 is the best, their minds are already made up. This was a dumb place to ask that question.

And as for looks???? S4 has it WRAPPED. And anyone who says the new 335 coupe is ugly needs some glasses.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32

I agree with most of what you're saying, but to me the entire 4 line up -- A4, S4, even the RS4 - are snoozers to look at. Not ugly, but they don't look sporty or luxurious.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by jgsx
I agree with most of what you're saying, but to me the entire 4 line up -- A4, S4, even the RS4 - are snoozers to look at. Not ugly, but they don't look sporty or luxurious.
And a C-class does??? I'm missing something here, seriously.

The RS-4 looks like it eats babies, its far more aggressive than any C-class or M3 to date. It looks like a damn DTM car on the road. There are two in my office complex that I admire regularly.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 04-13-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:43 AM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
+1, its stupid to ask a bunch of C55 owners which one out of the 3 is the best, their minds are already made up. This was a dumb place to ask that question.

And as for looks???? S4 has it WRAPPED. And anyone who says the new 335 coupe is ugly needs some glasses.

Not a stupid question (perhaps it could say why did you choose C55 over..., but answers would be the same). I am pretty sure that people asking such question can take into account who they are asking, which forum, and interpret information properly.

Most people answering the question here have driven these cars for a good amount of time (or own both) and clearly state what their opinion is based on.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I'd probably go for the 335i. Its fresh and its twin turbo
Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 PM

The RS-4 looks like it eats babies, its far more aggressive than any C-class or M3 to date. It looks like a damn DTM car on the road. There are two in my office complex that I admire regularly.
SRSLY........the B7 RS4 is sexy, aggressive, and just has that daunting look (and I'm not even a B7 Audi fan)....i have no idea what some people are taking about when they say "snoozers"

PS. BTW.....nice Sig
Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 PM

'14 CLA 45
Seriously ... the RS4 easily beats the 335, C55 and IMO even the new M3 in looks. It just looks so damn aggressive but at the same time shows some style. I think the look fades into any situation, if sporty or aggressive or classy (with just nice lines and the accents of the exterior in the right places)

but then again, the RS4 isn't up for discussion here now, is it?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by kickR

but then again, the RS4 isn't up for discussion here now, is it?
Exactly. That car is in a different price and performance range.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM

1973 Yugo
I know a 02 s4 that runs 11's,and active-autowerkes software can take a 335 to 370 whp(so they say) for like $700, and the C55 is gorgeous, plus for $45k you can also get a 03-04 E55, or an M3, look and do research, and also think about if you want to mod it or not
Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
SRSLY........the B7 RS4 is sexy, aggressive, and just has that daunting look (and I'm not even a B7 Audi fan)....i have no idea what some people are taking about when they say "snoozers"

PS. BTW.....nice Sig
That front end just doesn't do it for me. It too round and doesn't catch my eye. The RS4 is WAY more aggressive than the S4 and A4. The A4/S4 are both pretty boring looking cars. The RS4 catches the eye of a car enthusiast, but to normal people it's just another car. Even if you think that the Audis look sporty, one thing is for sure, they sure as hell don't look luxurious from the outside.

I wasn't suggesting that the C-class was sporty looking. I just think that they are a nice luxurious and clean looking car.

I think that the new 3s are the best balance of sport and luxury in terms of exterior appearance. The E46 M3 looks amazing.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32

I meant that the C-class looks luxurious. And no, I do not think that the A4/S4 look either sporty or luxurious. The RS4 is kinda over the top and still doesn't pull either off.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM

'14 CLA 45
The RS4 is kinda over the top and still doesn't pull either off.
so what does it pull off then? it can't pull a "nothing" off lol
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
LOL... this is entertaining...

I love when people arguing about cars... or flaming trolls.... makes this forum not boring... LOL.

But seriously, though (as objective as possible ):

For performance:
If you don't want to mod and don't drive on snow: C55. It's the fastest (not much... but the fastest) among 3.

If you want to drive on the snow: S4

If you want to mod: Either 2.7T S4 or 335i

For handling: I think all 3 are the same on dry... wet / snow, should be S4.

For the value, I honestly say 2.7T S4... the cons is it's couple body styles back.

For the reliability, I could only vouch for C55... and I'm sure most other members here agree... we pretty much have never seen any problems w/ C55 (of course, there should be some bad apples out there... but on average, no problem). S4, I could only say for 2.7T and based on my bro-in-law experience... not that reliable... but could be made fast as hell. 335i, too early to tell... I'd guess there should be a lot of bugs since this is the 1st time BMW goes back to mass production turbo car after 20+ years?

For ongoing maintenance, 335i. Free maintenance.

For resale value, 335i (at least for norcal).

For the look, I'll keep quiet.... *hiding from CH and evil empire*
Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
That front end just doesn't do it for me. It too round and doesn't catch my eye. The RS4 is WAY more aggressive than the S4 and A4. The A4/S4 are both pretty boring looking cars. The RS4 catches the eye of a car enthusiast, but to normal people it's just another car. Even if you think that the Audis look sporty, one thing is for sure, they sure as hell don't look luxurious from the outside.

I wasn't suggesting that the C-class was sporty looking. I just think that they are a nice luxurious and clean looking car.

I think that the new 3s are the best balance of sport and luxury in terms of exterior appearance. The E46 M3 looks amazing.

+1 It looks like a big vagina with 4 **** rings and a license plate.

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 04-13-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:25 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry

+1 It looks like a big vagina with 4 **** rings and a license plate.
Someone said "eats babies", just need to reverse direction to get the whole picture
Old 04-13-2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by zoink
LOL... this is entertaining...

I love when people arguing about cars... or flaming trolls.... makes this forum not boring... LOL.

But seriously, though (as objective as possible ):

For performance:
If you don't want to mod and don't drive on snow: C55. It's the fastest (not much... but the fastest) among 3.

If you want to drive on the snow: S4

If you want to mod: Either 2.7T S4 or 335i

For handling: I think all 3 are the same on dry... wet / snow, should be S4.

For the value, I honestly say 2.7T S4... the cons is it's couple body styles back.

For the reliability, I could only vouch for C55... and I'm sure most other members here agree... we pretty much have never seen any problems w/ C55 (of course, there should be some bad apples out there... but on average, no problem). S4, I could only say for 2.7T and based on my bro-in-law experience... not that reliable... but could be made fast as hell. 335i, too early to tell... I'd guess there should be a lot of bugs since this is the 1st time BMW goes back to mass production turbo car after 20+ years?

For ongoing maintenance, 335i. Free maintenance.

For resale value, 335i (at least for norcal).

For the look, I'll keep quiet.... *hiding from CH and evil empire*
more than fair enough assessment
Old 04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
This is hilarious. State an opinion and some non AMG owners come knocking to talk like idiots. Relax folks, they're only cars. Not people.

Also, I agree w/ the RS4 assesments, but we're not talking about that car in this comparo. There is a HUGE difference in my book when it comes to an S4 and RS4. S4 looks just like an A4 as does the C230 looks a lot like the C55. I also stand by my assesment of reliability. Of the 3, Audi is the worst. Not saying they are unreliable cars, but compared to BMW and MB they come in third. I've owned all 3 and have multiple friends w/ all brands and this is based on my experiences w/ the different vehicles.

Not that this proves anything at all, but my C55 has been to the dealer exactly 2 times and that was for regular scheduled maintenance both times. Honestly I have expected a little more to go wrong but so far, rock solid.

Last edited by SolidGranite; 04-14-2007 at 11:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c55 vs. Audi S4 vs. 335i. Which one is best?