C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New Owner Needs Help....Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Question New Owner Needs Help....Please

Well I picked up my MY 2003 C32 yesterday (pewter/charcoal, alaram, bose, bi-xenon, cd, COMMAND, phone, rain sensor, and sunroof)

Unfortunately after only 4 hours with the car I am off for a three week business trip in Europe. With 7+ hours to kill on the ride over, I decided to read the manuals and would appreciate clarification as to the following items:

1. COMMAND/NAV

I am somewhat confused as to the following:

a) If I power on COMMAND, select NAV then I can use the Navigation system WITHOUT any audio source (i.e. AM/FM/WB/CD) - so far so good.

b) If I power on COMMAND, select NAV, and select an audio source then I can use the Navigation system with AUDIO in the background (i.e. Navigation prompts will be "superimposed" over the audio source, and I can even either of navigation directions or the audio screen) -- so far still ok.

c) If I power on COMMAND, select an audio source, and select NAV then I end up using the Navigation system but STILL with the audio source in the background (i.e. it does not appear, at least from reading the manual, that selecting NAV after having selected an audio source will terminate/stop the audio source).

Put the problem/question another way... is there any way AFTER having selected an audio source to go to the NAV system AND KILLING/STOPPING the audio source other than pushing the MUTE button?

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something here?

2. Headlight Control

This should be simple but I am obviously brain dead....

"O" is the off position -- got it! As I live in Canada, the low beam lights will be on!

"AUTO" turns off/on the low beam, license plate and parking lights depending on brightness although the fog lamps cannot be turned on from this position -- got it, I think! As I live in Canada, the low beam lights will be on, hence only the license plate and parking lights are so effected!

")OO(" turns on all lights other than the low beam although the high beams cannot be engaged from this position -- once agin, got it, I think! As I live in Canada, all lights will be turned on!

"=()" turns on all lights with the flexbility of being abvle to turn on the fog lights or the high beam lights -- got it, I think! Guess what... no difference as a result of living in Canada.

So.... as I understand things, at least as applicable to a Canadian, why would I ever use positions other than:

"0" for daytime driving as this will engage the required daytime running lights; and

"=()" for night time driving as it is the ONLY position, regardless of where I live, that allows me to have full lighting control (i.e. low beam, high beam, and fog).

To the extent that my inderstanding is correct, please confirm. To the extent that my understanding is wrong, please correct my interpretation as needed.

Sorry that the last two symbols are a "little off"!

Thanks for your assistance.

PS. Reading the manuals was not a smart thing as I am now even more anxious to get behind the wheel and try things out!
Old 10-02-2002, 01:11 PM

2001 MB CLK55
Re: New Owner Needs Help....Please

Originally posted by Joelc

1. COMMAND/NAV {snippage} Put the problem/question another way... is there any way AFTER having selected an audio source to go to the NAV system AND KILLING/STOPPING the audio source other than pushing the MUTE button?
Based on experience with my MY01 CLK55:

Once an audio source is on, switching the display to NAV will do nothing other than switch the display. You can hit the MUTE button while in NAV, and it will kill the audio - just be aware that if you hit MUTE while the nice lady is talking, she will be muted as well......
Old 10-02-2002, 01:20 PM

C32
Re: Re: New Owner Needs Help....Please

Originally posted by jkelley
Based on experience with my MY01 CLK55:

Once an audio source is on, switching the display to NAV will do nothing other than switch the display. You can hit the MUTE button while in NAV, and it will kill the audio - just be aware that if you hit MUTE while the nice lady is talking, she will be muted as well......
Thanks for the timely feedback.

Although it is good to know that I can still read and understand a manual, this seems like a bit of a design flaw or bad ergonomics to me. Does anyone else agree?

As an aside a second design flaw appears to be that the volume button and the button while in NAV apply to the NAV voice or BOTH the NAV voice and audio source depending what is playing when adjusted. Do people also agree that this is either a design flaw or ergonomically poor?

Now, if someone would just be good enough to respond to the Headlamp Question.

Joel