Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by dorikin_86
+1 for Renntech

If anybody knows Mercedes...It's Renntech.
Renntech is an excellent company though I think the main point is not who knows Mercedes the best, it's who knows software the best.

Renntech manufactures all sorts of Mercedes parts including exterior pieces, suspension components, as well as carbon fiber whereas Powerchip develops software, and only software. If a company has had a particular niche/expertise for the past 15+ years, I think they're in essence the true master of their trade.

Additionally, we all know many clothing manufacturers charge a lot for their clothing simply due to the name, not materials. The same is applicable with software, some companies charge a lot due to their name and other companies base their costs on other factors, such as R&D and equipment costs. I myself think Renntech's software is somewhat overpriced.

On a side note, I do love many of their other products, I have to say.

Just my $0.02

-Aaron

Last edited by StealthAuto; 05-23-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Quality products are never somewhat "cheap". Brembo is a quality product, but we have never seen a big brake kit for E55 less than $5,000. Some might say its overpriced, but hey, you get what you pay for.

I am not saying Renntech is the best out there, but I do recommend forumers to do their own homework when it comes to purchasing software or performance products. Sometimes its worth it to pay a little extra to have a peace of mind.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Quality products are never somewhat "cheap". Brembo is a quality product, but we have never seen a big brake kit for E55 less than $5,000. Some might say its overpriced, but hey, you get what you pay for.

I am not saying Renntech is the best out there, but I do recommend forumers to do their own homework when it comes to purchasing software or performance products. Sometimes its worth it to pay a little extra to have a peace of mind.
I totally agree. I recently threw away my Powerchip software and switched to Kleeman. The level of knowledge and support that Kleeman has provided makes me wish I went with them from the beginning. My custom Kleeman software was $1000 with free retunes and reflashes.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
So what have you guys actually gained from this mod??

$1k-$3k, I would hope there are some proven results.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by jgsx
I totally agree. I recently threw away my Powerchip software and switched to Kleeman. The level of knowledge and support that Kleeman has provided makes me wish I went with them from the beginning. My custom Kleeman software was $1000 with free retunes and reflashes.
Powerchip has not and will never been known to tune for cams which they do not know the profile/specs of; it's simply impossible. You purchased software (Powerchip) which is intended for stock and moderately modified vehicles that have bolt-on upgrades such as headers, pulleys, etc. Cams are in no way a bolt-on modification and you cannot expect a company to simply create a tune without dyno time or information on that particular cam. Cams come in all variations, from mild to aggressive, so your request, though reasonable, is simply impossible to perform.

On a side note, the software was $1000 for what vehicle?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites

I've seen leather bags and accessories in small villages in Italy cost 1/4 of the price of most things in Saks 5th Ave. but are 10 times better quality.

Research and development costs are fairly similar from company to company. The final cost of the product is determined by how much a particular company wants to make on the deal. I think the rest speaks for itself.

On a side note, I don't believe you always get what you paid for. I had an E60 M5 for about 6 months but it ended up being a lemon so I gave it back, did I get what I paid for? Also, I went to Spago's about 2 years ago and my scallops were extremely salty so I sent them back, did I get what I paid for?

I believe there is much more to quality than price and that's been proven time and time again.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
Powerchip has not and will never been known to tune for cams which they do not know the profile/specs of; it's simply impossible. You purchased software (Powerchip) which is intended for stock and moderately modified vehicles that have bolt-on upgrades such as headers, pulleys, etc. Cams are in no way a bolt-on modification and you cannot expect a company to simply create a tune without dyno time or information on that particular cam. Cams come in all variations, from mild to aggressive, so your request, though reasonable, is simply impossible to perform.

On a side note, the software was $1000 for what vehicle?
I have a C32 AMG.

Once again, I'll start out by saying that my Powerchip software worked well with my stage 2 setup. Once I wanted a remote custom tweak, you guys went fetal.

You guys are not Mercedes experts. I understand that you guys support many vehicles, so you don't have the ability or experience to tweak software without having the vehicle in front of you on a dyno. Both Renntech and Kleeman were able to remotely create new ECU tunes for these specific cams. It is not impossible to do remotely. I understand that it may be impossible for POWERCHIP to do.

As a side note, Kleeman reviewed my Powerchip software before they flashed my new tune, and the found a problem that was causing me to occasionally go into limp mode and have shift problems. Kleeman asked if I was experiencing the symptom, and I was like YEAH. That's experience.

So as I've said before, Powerchip software works well when they already have an exact tune for a specific configuration. If you want anything other than basic tuning on a Mercedes, or plan to change your configuration at a later date, Powerchip is not the best choice.

Stealth, I'm not attacking you personally, I just don't like seeing Powerchip twist the facts around. Powerchip has trolled these forums under several names to promote Powerchip, provide testimonials, and cut down other reputable ECU tuners. Even in this thread you are trying to suggest that Powerchip is a better Mercedes ECU tuner than Renntech. Come on, that's just not accurate. Powerchip's abilities are significantly lower than Renn's and Kleeman's.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by jgsx
I have a C32 AMG.

Once again, I'll start out by saying that my Powerchip software worked well with my stage 2 setup. Once I wanted a remote custom tweak, you guys went fetal.

You guys are not Mercedes experts. I understand that you guys support many vehicles, so you don't have the ability or experience to tweak software without having the vehicle in front of you on a dyno. Both Renntech and Kleeman were able to remotely create new ECU tunes for these specific cams. It is not impossible to do remotely. I understand that it may be impossible for POWERCHIP to do.

As a side note, Kleeman reviewed my Powerchip software before they flashed my new tune, and the found a problem that was causing me to occasionally go into limp mode and have shift problems. Kleeman asked if I was experiencing the symptom, and I was like YEAH. That's experience.

So as I've said before, Powerchip software works well when they already have an exact tune for a specific configuration. If you want anything other than basic tuning on a Mercedes, or plan to change your configuration at a later date, Powerchip is not the best choice.

Stealth, I'm not attacking you personally, I just don't like seeing Powerchip twist the facts around. Powerchip has trolled these forums under several names to promote Powerchip, provide testimonials, and cut down other reputable ECU tuners. Even in this thread you are trying to suggest that Powerchip is a better Mercedes ECU tuner than Renntech. Come on, that's just not accurate. Powerchip's abilities are significantly lower than Renn's and Kleeman's.
I understand and respect your opinion 100%

As stated previously, to tune for your cams you had to provide them with either a) the car or b) the cam profiles; neither of which were given to Powerchip.

In regards to suggesting Powerchip is a better tuner, I do not believe Powerchip is a better tuner than Renntech, Kleeman, etc. There is only so much power you can safely get with tuning alone and all of the reputable tuners will gain around the same hp/tq. A difference of 2-5hp is very nominal, basically the weight difference between you having on a t-shirt and tennis shoes or eating a big steak and wearing boots. Or, you driving in the early morning when it's 60-degrees out as opposed to driving at noon when it's hott out.

In summation, software and tuning are all about achieving the same result; an improved car for you to enjoy. Since most late model Mercedes vehicles utilize either a Bosch or Siemens ECU, knowing how to tune a Bosch or Siemens ECU is what tuning is all about. Simply said, there's a reason why companies like Performance Products and Evosport choose to deal with Powerchip and I believe it speaks for itself.

Let's not argue about this topic. The truth is, whether you purchase Kleeman, Renntech, or Powerchip's software for a moderately modified or stock vehicle you will be more than happy.

Last edited by StealthAuto; 05-24-2007 at 02:43 PM.