How to change fog lamps on a c55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:23 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink How to change fog lamps on a c55

So I figured I would do a write up for all those who might have a cracked fog lamp on a c55. The replacement if pretty easy and there really is only 1 trick that I found but I figured I'd give the step by step. Sorry I am writing this after so I don't remember the exact sizes of the tools but I will tell you what you need and the Trick to doing it easily that I figured out.

Open up trunk and grab the jack and tire iron. It's under the spare. It's a nice jack btw much nicer than the crap porsche one. There is also a tire block tool. It makes a wedge to stick behind the rear tire - very good idea.

Make sure to locate the pad behind the front tire and use the plastic end to stick in it to jack the car up.
Break the lugs first of course-
Jack up and remove the wheel

You will notice 3 bolts behind the bumper- remove those they're 8mm or 10mm I don't remember There is also that wierd plastic pull dealie on the lower right.
I use needle nose pliers that have grooves in them. I pull perpindicular and it comes right out. then you remove the other part.

Go under the bumper now you will see 3 more of the same deals and you need to remove them just the same.

After doing this you can swing the flap down and away. There is a last bolt holding it on but there really is no need to remove it as you can articulate for adequate clearance.

Now you're looking at the back. There are the two silver nuts you want to remove They are smaller than the first outside ones - maybe they're the 8mm I use a ratcheting box for the liner ones and a nut driver with an extension that I have which is also ratcheting and they pop out. Now you can pull it out a smidge. However there is a bracket on the front so do not pull it out too much!!!

you need to pull it out and away. Now looking from the front of the bumper I used the torx with the ratcheting nut driver and extension to unscrew it from the bracket. Now you can remove the assembly from the back.

You will then remove the dust jacket by just pushing it off slowly so you can reuse it along with the zip tie that's already on there. There are 2 springs that hold the fog in that you push in the move towards the center then have them pop back to release the bulb. Pull the bulb and then stick it in the new lense or simply move the connections to the new fog if it has a new light.

I got the replacement fog off ebay for 50 shipped a new one at the dealer is 170ish so I reused my bulb as I knew it was good etc. I also polished and waxed the lens before install etc.

Now you can remove the rest of the torx NOTING which screw not to install as you will install it into that bracket in the front!!!

REassemble in reverse order. I found it was easiest to stick the torx screw in the bracket stick the nut driver on the screw and then aim it that way back on the housing.

FWIW as I replaced my fog with a used one. If you note they are adjustable. I used a digital caliper and the used one was exactly the same setting as old so whatev. Dunno about new ones you might have to adjust.

Now i have a new fog. The funny thing is that the new used one looks better than the other- (it looks brand new) and the other is wayyy pitted.

I think a 3m clear cover is a great idea for the lights as well. If anyone knows a cheap place let me know as my lights have a few nicks in them and I would not want to have to replace them if they get cracked!!

Have fun

Total time of work was less than 1h. I also use a torque wrench to set the proper spec in a star fashion etc.

Last edited by spr; 05-19-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AW '05 C55
Thanx for the writeup. I'll be doing the same at some point.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:34 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure NP.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"One Man. One Engine."
What type of bulbs are they?