C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Door Lock Clicking Problem (Wont Lock)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Door Lock Clicking Problem (Wont Lock)

Hello, thanks for reading this post. Just recently my 03 C32's drivers front door lock is acting up. When I try to lock it or the auto lock tries, it does this weird clicking up and down almost like its trying to lock but doesnt. My question is, does anyone know what exactly is wrong, or have instructions on how to remove the door panel so I can check and see what the problem is so I can buy replacement parts. I am good with cars without instructions but this has an airbag so I want to do it properly. Thanks so much.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
you may need to replace the unit same thing happened on my brothers E500 take it in for service.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:30 PM

2002 C32 AMG, 1991 SL500 AMG sport
Door lock

Door lock actuator. I just put a new one on mine. Wholesale at dealer was only 65 dollars. Book called for 2.5 hours. Thats what it took. Next time only half that as i had to use all data to see how to remove door panel without doing any damage..Any reasonable mechanic can do it..Although I dont trust any
Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM

2003 C32 AMG
does anyone have directions on how to do it?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:42 PM

C32 '02 silver 70K
Actuator - drivers side (and a "couple of other issues)

Driver door Actuator replacement:

1. Dealer "guesstimate" was $450.00; when I showed up, they had messed up my appointment (set up 2 weeks prior); they apologized, tried to "fit me in" - I left
2. Dealer Parts counter quoted: $116.00 (1 actuator)
3. Took the car to a Euro Import shop at about a 50% savings; total cost $207.00 (incl. part was $65); they stated, it sometimes is the computer and not the actual actuator (I ignored that statement and asked them to proceed "Install the actuator" - it's working just fine)...

I complained in writing to Mercedes Benz USA (Feb. 2007), because those items just should not fail!! And, the way they require the old part to be removed, drilling out rivits.... A BAD JOKE. I have received a letter from Mercedes in response to my gripe about this part-failure; in summary they say:

BSBSBS - followed by...
"Mr. xx. we recognize that you have experienced diminished faith in connection to your automobile and apologize for this. However, we seek your understanding that no manufacturer can guarantee uninterrupted service, or that a vehicle will never need repair as age/mileage accrues."
signed by moron

Honora D.
Customer Relations Liaison

Here is my point:

- Family's old Mazda Mini Van doesn't need ANYTHING (service), it runs and runs and runs....
- Family's Mazda Miata runs and runs and runs, doesn't need anything
- Family's Toyota Truck (V8) runs and runs and runs and doesn't need anything...
- Guess what: Family just bought another NEW Toyota.... RAV4 (V6 auto. 4x4) - hmm, could have been a G or ML.... (you say no comparison - right you are!).

Yes, I like the idea of driving a C63: but there is no way I would buy one for the stated reasons on this and other forums, regarding the overall negative "Experience" of owning a Mercedes:

Here is why I say that:

1. just replaced the Intercooler water pump (60K miles on car)
2. Will replace the radiator - because there is no inexpensive reliable and DEPENDABLE way to check for the transmission contamination, which may have been caused by the radiator leak (if it exists)...; if a leak exists, it is also possible, that transmission oil will find it's way into the cooling system and guess what, soon there will be goop circulating through the engine. To avoid the possibility of this from happening, I will replace the radiator at my expense (car is out of warrenty); to avoid the possible $8K transmission dilemma several members have talked about.
3. If the car is "loosing" coolant, it may also be caused by an Intercooler leak... loosing coolant into the intake. Hmm, that's another $1,300.00 I think. So, what's to be done?

If one does all these steps, one can have fun driving the car - or get frustrated and sell it. Installing a separate transmission cooler may be a solution I will consider; who has done it?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uweb
Installing a separate transmission cooler may be a solution I will consider; who has done it?
AMG-Jerry will have an solution for this in about a week...PM him for details
Old 07-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C240
Someone has posted instructions (no photos) on the W203 section of the forum. It's under "W203 Door Lock Pogo Fix". It's most likely the the door actuator. Mine did the same thing and when I replaced the actuator, problem solved. It took me a better part of 2 hours and you do have to drill out 3-4 pop rivets. What took me the longest was the re & re of the actuator itself. It's was a very tight fit in that part of the inner door. The door panel, wiring, etc. is fairly straight forward. Good luck.