02 C32 and Depo headlamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Well you have to factor in the integral of the curve to get the true color of the lamp, e.g. there is far more red/yellow (600-800nm) intensity in lower kelvin bulbs. I can show you some spectral plots from various lamps (you can see how different ballasts driving the bulbs can give different slightly plots).

And compare it to the theoretical spectral curve for a 10K bulb here:

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/Apple...BlackBody.html

Of course without a spectral plot of the bixenon's, it would be hard to see if it fills the 400-500nm region, or just spikes at 450 like the aquarium bulb.

Here is a 6500K plot:

You can input 6500 into the previous link and see how it matches up.

20K is supposed to be the equivalent of midday, full-intensity, equatorial daylight, and is that bulb on the right in my previous post.

Overall it is a general measurement of heating a theoretical black body to various temperatures and the emitted light is the "color temperature". I'm just stating what the aquarium industry uses for metal halide bulbs and the auto industry might do things differently.

(use the sand as a "white" reference)

6.5K tank photo:

10K tank photo:

12K tank photo:

20K tank photo:
I'm sure your correct in what your saying, but why are you applying a light rating system for aquarium bulbs to automotive bulbs?

The systems are completely different. When people refer to kelvins in color, its based on the system that i posted. So the 10k that the other posted isn't the same 10k on the system your using.

Its best to go off the standard form of measurement to make sure its clear to everyone what is be described. The Department of Transportation uses the same standard i posted, hence its the defacto standard everyone uses.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 08-04-2008 at 10:16 PM.