Compressor intermittent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32amg
Compressor intermittent

Occassionaly when I punch it, the Compressor does not come on and it leaves me with slow acceleration and the engine pings. Anybody out there had this problem? This happened yesterday and will make appointment with dealer today. Will the computer show this as an event, if the test drive shows no problem.

Thanks for any reply

Bob
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by slobote
Occassionaly when I punch it, the Compressor does not come on and it leaves me with slow acceleration and the engine pings. Anybody out there had this problem? This happened yesterday and will make appointment with dealer today. Will the computer show this as an event, if the test drive shows no problem.

Thanks for any reply

Bob
There have been several posts about this in the past but here goes....

Change your intercooler pump. There is a how-to on this forum of how to do it with a cheaper/identical ford lightning pump. I am almost positive it is the intercooler pump. If your car is under warranty, then it may work out to just have them mess with it, but if your car is not, then there you go.

-Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 PM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V

Thanks for any reply

Bob
I had the same problem with my C32, and it's just like Corrosive says,... it's the intercooler pump. There's also a control module involved in the mix as well, but I'm not sure exactly what it's called. But I do know that if they replace your inercooler pump, they will most likely replace, or at least test, this control module. Basically, the intercooler keeps the air that's being pounded into your engine by the Super Charger cool. If the intercooler fails, the air becomes abnormally hot and heat sensors will shut down the Super Charger,... leaving you with the performance of a normal C320. Once the air cools, the senors will get out of the way and allow the Super Charger to do it's thing,... you got your C32 AMG back! The(se) senros intervene like this to prevent the super hot, super charged air from causing damage. From what everyone says in here,... it's a good thing.

Also,... the mechanic at my MB dealership told me that performance delcines well before the sensors shut down the Super Charger. There's a period just prior to shut down where the S/C is just blowing hot air into the engine. So even when the S/C comes back on line, you still won't have full AMG power, even though you can feel and hear that the S/C has returned to duty.

Get the pump replaced. Not only will a working intercooler pump keep the S/C blowing, it also makes sure the S/C is blowing cool heavy dense air.

Super charged cool heavy dense air + 93 Octane gas + C32 = Bat Outta Hell

Good luck!

Last edited by ericpd; 06-09-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:30 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by ericpd
I had the same problem with my C32, and it's just like Corrosive says,... it's the intercooler pump. There's also a control module involved in the mix as well, but I'm not sure exactly what it's called. But I do know that if they replace your inercooler pump, they will most likely replace, or at least test, this control module. Basically, the intercooler keeps the air that's being pounded into your engine by the Super Charger cool. If the intercooler fails, the air becomes abnormally hot and heat sensors will shut down the Super Charger,... leaving you with the performance of a normal C320. Once the air cools, the senors will get out of the way and allow the Super Charger to do it's thing,... you got your C32 AMG back! The(se) senros intervene like this to prevent the super hot, super charged air from causing damage. From what everyone says in here,... it's a good thing.

Also,... the mechanic at my MB dealership told me that performance delcines well before the sensors shut down the Super Charger. There's a period just prior to shut down where the S/C is just blowing hot air into the engine. So even when the S/C comes back on line, you still won't have full AMG power, even though you can feel and hear that the S/C has returned to duty.

Get the pump replaced. Not only will a working intercooler pump keep the S/C blowing, it also makes sure the S/C is blowing cool heavy dense air.

Super charged cool heavy dense air + 93 Octane gas + C32 = Bat Outta Hell

Good luck!

LOL - good explanation!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Almost a Member!

c32amg
ericpd, thanks for the reply,fortunately I had an aftermarket warantee that covered the entire job except for shop supplies, It cost me 35 bucks plus one day rental car. An interesting note is that while most cars run engine coolant at close to boiling, if you check your coolant temp with onboard computer, it, when warmed up, shows coolant temp at about 120 degrees farenheight.

Thanks, Bobpd
Old 06-10-2007, 11:18 AM

2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
ericpd, thanks for the reply,fortunately I had an aftermarket warantee that covered the entire job except for shop supplies, It cost me 35 bucks plus one day rental car. An interesting note is that while most cars run engine coolant at close to boiling, if you check your coolant temp with onboard computer, it, when warmed up, shows coolant temp at about 120 degrees farenheight.

Thanks, Bobpd
That's great Slobote,... my previous owner purchased the Merc extended warranty so I'm covered 'til December 2009/100k. I walked out not owing a nickel,... nice. I have a bay appointment this coming Tuesday for some more warranty work that they found.

Once I get all the warranty stuff out of the way, I think I'll move on to some of the stuff our elders are doing to their rides. I particularly like the clear headlights they're putting on their rides. My car looks like it's suffering from cateracts (sp),... the lenses are almost opaque! I wonder what causes that,... moisture getting into the assembly maybe? I dunno,... I just know it doesn't look good.

So is 120 degrees normal? I'll ask Tuesday!