Air Filter replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Which leads me back to my question...Why?

If the K&N's lowered your time, the oil is a risk and they allow more particulate into the engine, is this a good thing?

I am not trying to pick a fight over filters, but I just don't get the whole "spend extra $$ for worse performance or possible engine damage" thing at all.

My fleece filters seem to do just great and get replace at each service. No worries.
Hey there ScottW911:

I understand you point, except for the oil risk. There is none! I have never seen/heard/or witnessed ANY engine, including MAF's that I have/had on four K/N euiped cars. Yes you are right that ANY filter that flows more air, is accomplishing this, by filtering worse than stock. Simple physics here. But for real world difference, this is NOT an issue. My brother's 89 stang, with K/N's brand new, ran over 275,000 miles with NO engine issues, MAF, etc, etc. I cleaned the K/N for him 4 times during the life of the car.

My point is, that K/N DO give you an increase in porformance, and for only $80 they are WELL worth it. I truely do understand you point about changing the stock fleece often, and yes I am not talking 20-30 HP here, but for the 5-10 they give you, its a GREAT return on investment, IMHO.

See yeah my friend
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey there ScottW911:

I understand you point, except for the oil risk. There is none! I have never seen/heard/or witnessed ANY engine, including MAF's that I have/had on four K/N euiped cars. Yes you are right that ANY filter that flows more air, is accomplishing this, by filtering worse than stock. Simple physics here. But for real world difference, this is NOT an issue. My brother's 89 stang, with K/N's brand new, ran over 275,000 miles with NO engine issues, MAF, etc, etc. I cleaned the K/N for him 4 times during the life of the car.

My point is, that K/N DO give you an increase in porformance, and for only $80 they are WELL worth it. I truely do understand you point about changing the stock fleece often, and yes I am not talking 20-30 HP here, but for the 5-10 they give you, its a GREAT return on investment, IMHO.

See yeah my friend
OK. I see your point. You'll have to forgive my backwards thinking at times also. It was a late night last night and I'm running on very little sleep at this time. I can sometimes read things backwards when I'm this tired.

You are correct about the cheap mod. Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
I too have used K&N's on every performance vehicle I've ever owned, and with great results and have never hurt a MAF as some have suggested can happen. The only threat to the MAF is letting the "filter oil" accumulate on the MAF elements which can cause them to mis-read. The key is to not over oil them when you clean and treat them. The K&Ns fit perfectly. As stated previously, I gained 8 rwhp w/ them over the stock filters.
The Green filters may flow well, but they are not as durable in overall longevity, assuming you'll be taking the time to clean whichever ones you purchase.

Also, it's a very simple 15 minute job to replace just the filters, if you use an electric drill/screwdriver device.
However, you may want to take time and clean out all the ductwork, inlets, etc while you've got it all apart. Mine had much debris in and around them, ie leaves, feathers, etc.

Whichever brand you use, it's certainly a cheap investment for a worthwhile gain.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by ohlord
at www.autohausaz.com order an oil filter kit to get above $50 and shipping is free.
OE out flow k/n,who could ask for anything more.

Wow great price! I think if you let the filters sit open for a day its good the extra oil will flow away...I use the dryer option with no heat and it takes away the extra oil then put the filters away til I need to use them...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by c32used
Wow great price! I think if you let the filters sit open for a day its good the extra oil will flow away...I use the dryer option with no heat and it takes away the extra oil then put the filters away til I need to use them...
Um, you realize ohlord is showing OEM filters with this link, and claiming they "outflow" K&N, right? As one of the strongest supporters of aftermarket filters, I was surprised by your reply to his comment.

I agree too though, that is a great price for OEM filters, if that's what someone's looking for.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Um, you realize ohlord is showing OEM filters with this link, and claiming they "outflow" K&N, right? As one of the strongest supporters of aftermarket filters, I was surprised by your reply to his comment.

I agree too though, that is a great price for OEM filters, if that's what someone's looking for.

I feel like an idiot I though it was for K&N filters
next time I will not speed read and read everything first...

Either way its a great price for OEM filters