C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Normal Operating Temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal Operating Temp

What is the normal operating temp for a C32? Mine runs between 80-100 degrees Celsius. If the intercooler shuts down, will the temperature rise quickly?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by TrojanStealth
What is the normal operating temp for a C32? Mine runs between 80-100 degrees Celsius. If the intercooler shuts down, will the temperature rise quickly?
Do you mean intercooler-pump?...the intercooler has no moving parts and can't really shut-down. If the pump stops, IAT will rise quickly, but I don't think engine temp will go up any right?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Do you mean intercooler-pump?...the intercooler has no moving parts and can't really shut-down. If the pump stops, IAT will rise quickly, but I don't think engine temp will go up any right?
correct, you will not notice any difference in coolant temps...the only way you will know if the I/C pump has gone out is when the supercharger clutch does not engage...
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by TrojanStealth
Mine runs between 86 and 92 degrees Celsius (approximately).

Regards,
Pete
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 PM

C32 '02 silver 70K
IC pump went out after recall/Relay replacement Jan. 23,07

Jan. 23rd, 07 recall relay replacement was done; since then I have noticed, that sometimes the Supercharger "stuttered" at high RPM (feels like ignition is cutting out). Did not pay too much attention at first. But I just read the posts, describing the IC pump issue. Couldn't hear the pump spinning after turning off the car - started to be concerned.

Ordered the Ford (Bosch) replacement IC pump ($89 + shipping as per above tel. #) and bought the Ford fitting connector "prewired"; special order from the local Ford Dealer (overnight delivery) to make the installation look best and prevent future wire-mixup/reversed voltage (DC) later on.

Now, after I completed the installation, I am reading about the possible Recall having caused the IC pump problem in the first place.... Do I smell a rat?

Anyone here, who had to install the pump again... and again... and again? My assumption is, that if the Relay is the culprit - shouldn't the IC pump fail again? Did anyone read the circuit drawings - please confirm, that the pump is on the same leg; i.e. fused separately? It seems to have some "brains/thermostat-switch" which keeps the IC pump spinning after the engine was turned off. I did not get any error message, when I removed the IC pump power cable... Very POOR DESIGN, having to "listen" to the pump, to confirm it's spinning!!! What a blunder!! AMG, are you listening?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by uweb
...My assumption is, that if the Relay is the culprit - shouldn't the IC pump fail again?...
There has been considerable discussion on this forum about just this issue. I’m certain you have read these threads, but for those wrestling with these same concerns, invest some worthwhile time perusing -

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/146457-1fastc32-s-cheep-intercooler-pump-replacement.html
and
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/147115-question-those-who-have-taken-their-cars-service-campaign-2006-030011-a.html

I’ve replaced my intercooler fluid pump once at 40k. Still working perfectly almost 20k miles hence. For ~$100, it has thus far proved to be the least expensive consumable in the car.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:25 PM

C32 '02 silver 70K
IC pump/recall relay replacement (related issue?)

Thanks Splinter;

I think, I've read most/all posts regarding the IC pump issue (repair instructions were most helpful). Don't recall reading whether anyone had replaced their IC pump multiple times - AFTER replacing the relay (recall). That would be a bummer (uncertainty).

Did you have the recall relay replacement done before or after the IC pump failed/replacement?
Thanks much.