Apparent issues w/ the new BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by zoink
Man If all goes smoothly, I'll be getting a 535xi soon (my first wagon ever ) and hope it is not problematic.

Not sure what I was thinking especially after having nightmare w/ 1st year of W211 E55 couple years ago Must be the wife and $11K off MSRP for <1 month old car.
I wouldn't worry about it man.. sounds like you got a great deal..

I leased my 335 and I'm driving it like I stole it!! If the engine blows it's not going to cost me anything.. LOL..
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
LOL... yeah, won't cost me anything other than leaving the car at the dealership and get like 328 loaner, which are certainly annoying. If my dealer gives me an M5 as a loaner, hell, I wouldn't mind having the car at the shop for months...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh BTW, when did you start leasing your car? And how long for BMWFS to receive the title? You may not know that as it doesn't matter for you....

The reason I'm asking is b/c the car I'm about to buy is currently being leased... and the seller cannot do anything before BMWFS receives the title. It has been almost a month since he picked her up and it's been almost 2 weeks since I sealed the deal w/ the seller. So I wonder how long it usually takes for BMWFS to receive the title.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Basically what I'm saying is that it's too general a statement to say a "Blown Engine is typical" for all new first yr cars. Show me a Lexus,Acura or Infiniti that has experienced this and I'll stop buying cars all together. I have not heard of major problems with the Dodge /Chrystler Hemi engines in the first yr. The Dodge Viper does not have a Hemi Engine and the majority of Z06 vettes and H.O. Stangs are not plagued with the problems BMW has been having with their first yr cars.

So basically I'm negating the" Engine failure" statement as being something that's "typical" for a car in it's first yr. Another thing is I don't see how BMW wins Engine of the yr with all these problems
Absolutely, I agree with you, in that saying a "Blown Engine is Typical for all first yr cars" is pure BS in this day & age. I think our points are getting crossed up here... I'm just trying to point out that other cars DO have engine problems in general (I've experienced several of them either first or second hand, even with beloved Japanese brands like Honda), and that almost all cars are likely to experience more problems during their first year new model intro than in later year runs. I recall cam & head problems with my GF's Honda Accord, CV joint issues, bad synchro rings in an S2000, turbo'd Mitsu with bad trans bearings, manifold, valve gear, ECU dying on a new Lexus GS (1 week old), etc. You don't even wanna know the problems my Vettes & Mustangs had! The Mustang's mod-motor sounded like it was gonna die within the first year! That's born out by statistics & cars I've owned.

I'm NOT the one that said those engine failures on BMW's should be considered normal or were to be accepted!!! That's one of the reasons I didn't get an E46 M3, as BMW ruined their reputation in my eyes with all their engine problems, especially by dealers covering them up & arguing with owners about who was "at fault" for nearly the first 2 years of the M3 production. Which is really sad, as most of my previous BMW's were very reliable.

I do think BMW's engine problems are related to them constantly trying to push the envelope & introduce new technologies & manufacturing methods before the competition, and simply not having/taking enough time to test them well enough. But if they did that, they might not be the "first kid on the block" with a new feature and I think that means more to their marketing & sales guys now than reliability does. Besides, I don't think they care when all they do is push the 4/50 free maintenance that the competition doesn't have & say "who cares" as it doesn't cost you anything...

Last edited by rbaker; 07-19-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra/E55
I think it's a typical first year and problem and BMW will need to become more familiar with turbos on their vehicles.

After all, as long as you're under warranty there's really nothing to worry about.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by StealthAuto

After all, as long as you're under warranty there's really nothing to worry about.
LOL! If it's your only car I guess it's no big deal for it to be down for a month or two for an engine rebuild by the dealer after just taking it off the showroom. Whoohooo Warranty!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Oh and BTW.. no where in the original posters link does it say anything about replacing an entire engine!! It was a reference to the fuel pump that is a known issue..

FYI, I just ordered my Xede today.. Booya!

Last edited by amgmark; 07-19-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by amgmark
Oh and BTW.. no where in the original posters link does it say anything about replacing an entire engine!! It was a reference to the fuel pump that is a known issue..

FYI, I just ordered my Xede today.. Booya!

the typical issues are the
oil cooler on non sport models
minor electrical problems
fuel pump
running hot "limp mode"

variation in power, 335's are making inconsistent power. But all are making the claimed 300hp, some just have more. Way more.

higher rpm pull, the engine looses steam on top, low and mid power is great. New procede v2 is set to fix this issue.

I'm still on the fence, I'm thinking on getting one just when the new M3's hit the show rooms. Look at the 08 or maybe pick up a used 07 certified.

or I might just wait for the C63 and just get natural power out of the V8.

let's see what the procede v2 put down on the dyno and 1/4..
Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Well this just makes us C32/55 owners feel better that we aren't driving one.

But, I was driving behind one the other day, wasn't sure if it was stock or not, but it sounded SICK!
sounds good but looks like a civic
Old 07-21-2007, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by power-fade
Reading some local E90 threads and apparently there are some problems with the new 335i....requiring a new engine!!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71386
way to exaggerate the situation.

It is just a faulty fuel pump. How did you conclude that it requires a new engine?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by AMG BRED

way to exaggerate the situation.

It is just a faulty fuel pump. How did you conclude that it requires a new engine?
one of the users (Vansky) has a similar issue and is in the process of getting a new engine to be swaped as we speak.

Last edited by 14cue; 07-21-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by 14cue
one of the users (Vansky) has a similar issue and is in the process of getting a new engine to be swaped as we speak.
They are swapping the engine because of a fuel pump? or was it the same symptoms and that was the remedy?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
They are swapping the engine because of a fuel pump? or was it the same symptoms and that was the remedy?
sorry, it was the same symptoms which lead to the swapping of the engine.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Sure,if the fuel pump fails and the car is making boost when it failed, it could run lean,detonate,and ruin the motor. Unlikely though but it could happen. I'll also mention that those motors have a tendency to run real hot also. They are only now on the 2k7 cars starting to place engine oil coolers on both the automatics and manuals.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by 14cue
Vansky is one rare case. The only most common problem with those cars are the fuel pumps. Yes, the over heating is a problem, but like any 1st year production car, it's all fix it as you go. The had just as many if not more problems electronically the first year of production.

The only reason i am being defensive is because i have 335i and the car is an absolute gem. It feels like it has more power then the CLK55 or the C32.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"One Man. One Engine."
Here is more info on the problems that vansky had...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67793
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by AMG BRED
Vansky is one rare case. The only most common problem with those cars are the fuel pumps. Yes, the over heating is a problem, but like any 1st year production car, it's all fix it as you go. The had just as many if not more problems electronically the first year of production.

The only reason i am being defensive is because i have 335i and the car is an absolute gem. It feels like it has more power then the CLK55 or the C32.
I think my c32 feels faster 0-60.. but the the 335i has a serious kick from about 60-120... I should be installing an Xede soon then there won't be a question which is faster.. I have a sport package with oil cooler so mine won't have an overheating problem.. I have never even seen my needle go more than half way on the gauge..
Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Didn't know where to post pics of my new wheels but I wanted to share..

Just got the wheels installed today and these were the first pics.. the car isn't even clean.. Xede goes in this weekend.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Those wheels look sharp. The 335i looks pretty good as delivered. You have already improved upon the Bavaria design. Just today, I saw at least a half-dozen while out and about. They are very popular in SoCal!

Perhaps more importantly, from our MBWorld perspective, is how are you enjoying your new ride? Build quality, fit and finish, handling and overall dynamic handling prowess. What are your initial impressions? For some of us, the 335i could be the next to inhabit our garage.

My recent issue of Bimmer goes on about several of the relatively cheap and easy tweaks that are available for your fine machine. Which, besides Xede, are you contemplating?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by splinter
Those wheels look sharp. The 335i looks pretty good as delivered. You have already improved upon the Bavaria design. Just today, I saw at least a half-dozen while out and about. They are very popular in SoCal!

Perhaps more importantly, from our MBWorld perspective, is how are you enjoying your new ride? Build quality, fit and finish, handling and overall dynamic handling prowess. What are your initial impressions? For some of us, the 335i could be the next to inhabit our garage.

My recent issue of Bimmer goes on about several of the relatively cheap and easy tweaks that are available for your fine machine. Which, besides Xede, are you contemplating?
I am happy with the performance and the styling. I think the car handles a little better than my c32 with the Brabus suspension. The C32 feels a little looser around the corners. I noticed that some trim on my dash is starting to come loose.. Otherwise no other problems so far.

I was thinking about the AA sport exhaust also, but I'm not sure yet. I am also planning on adding a lip spoiler, the Hartage lip looks pretty cool and so does the Hamann..

I'll post an update after the Xede install.

Last edited by amgmark; 07-25-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
very nice Mark, congrats on the new wheel. nice choice on the tires too.

as for the trims getting loose etc. remember your C32 has seen 120k miles and 5 years on the road while your 335i is brand new. based on my experience new car versus new car (from my 2000 328Ci and the 2002 C32) the MB has better interior quality and fit and finish. It also had less problem for the first year. In the long run I don't think any car can escape the squeaks and rattles.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"One Man. One Engine."
Another 335i bites the dust...this one during a meet...doing drags and donuts...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...33#post1231033
Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by power-fade
Another 335i bites the dust...this one during a meet...doing drags and donuts...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...33#post1231033
lol - did you see that one guy's sig? his fuel pump died, got a 335i loaner and THAT fuel pump died. hahaha
Old 07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I certainly hope mine won't have the same issue... 535(x)i is not as popular as 335i so I haven't heard any problems yet.... not sure whether 535 uses the same fuel pump as 335... I hope not

Just want to share my new grocery getter (and my first wagon ever)... do you see my beast is lurking?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Just installed my Xede.. Holy **** it made a huge difference.. yeah.. hopefully no fuel pump problems..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Apparent issues w/ the new BMW 335i