Apparent issues w/ the new BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Originally Posted by amgmark
Just installed my Xede.. Holy **** it made a huge difference.. yeah.. hopefully no fuel pump problems..
How big of a difference? What do you notice most?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by wawy
How big of a difference? What do you notice most?
It seems considerably faster.. I actually was just messing with a new porsche, non-turbo and had a couple of car lengths by 80mph from a stop. I would say the most noticeable difference is the lower end torque and I can definitely feel that the boost is much higher.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zoink
I certainly hope mine won't have the same issue... 535(x)i is not as popular as 335i so I haven't heard any problems yet.... not sure whether 535 uses the same fuel pump as 335... I hope not

Just want to share my new grocery getter (and my first wagon ever)... do you see my beast is lurking?

vishnu has your first mod

310RWHP and 330RWTQ

and according to him.. that is just the beginning.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It seems considerably faster.. I actually was just messing with a new porsche, non-turbo and had a couple of car lengths by 80mph from a stop. I would say the most noticeable difference is the lower end torque and I can definitely feel that the boost is much higher.
AA is the way to go..

I still like that Vishnu is not too far away to drive and get my tuning done at his shop.

The AA exhaust system is sweet!

I'm still thinking if I should pull the trigger on a 08 coupe or wait for the C63.

I'm concerned about the over heating. I just read on the e90post of one coupe owner with the oil cooler retro fit still got the limp mode.

coming from 2 cars that run hot.. I don't want to bother with IC pumps, bigger cores or cooling mods.

I love the mod potential of 2 turbos, but I can for see a warranty nightmare if something goes wrong.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I love the mod potential of 2 turbos, but I can for see a warranty nightmare if something goes wrong.
Anyone who owned one of the many Audi 2.7Ts (S4 or A6) knows that turbos are like bungee jumps. What a thrill, but if something goes wrong...

And on a $50,000+ car, the loss of warranty coverage could be devastating. On the Audi engine, it was clear that they chose two small-ish turbos in order to generate quick boost (and it worked), but that meant that the turbos had maxed out at about 1.0 to 1.2 bar of pressure. To go big, you needed to replace the turbos, and give up some of the early thrust.

BMW did two sequential turbos I believe in the 335. Not sure whether the tuners are working with just one or both, but you can be assured that if you have an engine failure and BMW sees a modification, you're in deep doo.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
From the above link...

July 16 - Dead Fuel Pump
July 16 - Issued 335i loaner

July 19 - Loaner 335i Fuel Pump dead.
July 29 - Car still in shop.

I would be pissed....hope they get everything worked out.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Just an FYI. The twin turbo 335 has 1 turbo per 3 cylinders. There seems to be some confusion on that...
By the time the C63 they comes they will (or should) have the 335 all dialed in. Although the C63 is more in line with the new M3 and not the 335.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Just an FYI. The twin turbo 335 has 1 turbo per 3 cylinders. There seems to be some confusion on that...
By the time the C63 they comes they will (or should) have the 335 all dialed in. Although the C63 is more in line with the new M3 and not the 335.

I just ordered an '08 335i sedan. I test drove one that didn't even have the sport package on it, and man it outdrove my C32 in every way except flat out acceleration (they were very close). And my C32 only has 28,000 miles on it. The main difference I saw was in the steptronic automatic....utterly smooth and rev matches with the manual downshifts.

Regards,
Pete
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
2001 vs 2007...go figure

if 6 years not enough for manufacturers to make a better car than I don't know what to say.

with this said I'm more impressed by my friend's new GTi the same day we test drove the 335.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many of the original supplier's pumps are going bad. BMW has a new supplier and making good on the pumps, including mine. However, due to the back order and the change in manufacturer, there has been delays of up to eight weeks to get one. They are now showing up at dealers and replacements are easier. The good thing is that the car can still be driven and it mostly affects start ups. It is actually a better condition to have than the more than typical C32 IC pump failure that has been all too common. I had three replaced! My first one when the car was new and Mercedes had me wait more than a week to get one.

New motor is bound to have some bugs to work out. And yes it does affect some 535's. All in all, the motor is sweet and the 6 speed manual is a pleasure to drive. In a straight line, the C32 pulls more, that is until it reaches 199 degrees IA temps and shuts down! And remember, many C32 owners have had to replace their supercharger, several times. And how about those nagging idler bearings that go out. A new IC is available for the 335i and a secondary oil cooler has helped others. The bugs between the two cars are just different animals. But the comparison does show you that the C32 is still a strong contender in todays high performance competitive automobile market.

Now if they would just make a Black Edition C63 ...
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by TopGun32
vishnu has your first mod

310RWHP and 330RWTQ

and according to him.. that is just the beginning.
Yeah, he's very local to me... but even so, the mods available out there currently are a true bolt-on. They're either piggy-back system like XEDE or PROcede, or just a wire tap like Turbo Tuner. So it would be hard to screw things up in installation on the user's side. This leaves us which one is a better product.

I know PROcede puts the highest gains, followed by XEDE and Turbo Tuner.

But XEDE is from a well known tuner (AA), whose reputation is beyond Vishnu. Turbo Tuner seems to be the simplest and safest (lowest additional boost? ).

So the jury is still out for me.... I'll keep an eye on feedbacks from actual users... plus the car is for my wife anyway. So no hurry...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by zoink
Yeah, he's very local to me... but even so, the mods available out there currently are a true bolt-on. They're either piggy-back system like XEDE or PROcede, or just a wire tap like Turbo Tuner. So it would be hard to screw things up in installation on the user's side. This leaves us which one is a better product.

I know PROcede puts the highest gains, followed by XEDE and Turbo Tuner.

But XEDE is from a well known tuner (AA), whose reputation is beyond Vishnu. Turbo Tuner seems to be the simplest and safest (lowest additional boost? ).

So the jury is still out for me.... I'll keep an eye on feedbacks from actual users... plus the car is for my wife anyway. So no hurry...

Turbo tuner.. just to start off.. and maybe work on a DP just to get things going.

but I do agree.. AA is a better reputation.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
The AA Xede has been fun so far.. hopefully I will never have bad news to report.. LOL
Old 08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Dyno your car w/ Xede, will ya?

Want to see the actual wheel gains.... My wife starts to get irritated every time I mentioned her old car (C55) could smoke her new car anytime
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 AM

"One Man. One Engine."
Originally Posted by power-fade
Reading some local E90 threads and apparently there are some problems with the new 335i....requiring a new engine!!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71386
Update on this 335i...

"It is not over yet and the car will be in next week again. The engine light is always on, fuel and fluid found in the air filter and other parts. BMW Germany suggested to replace the engine, DONE, and they are going to replace the turbos becoz the light is still on"

History of this 335i...

History)
Jan xx: engine light was on (NAV) but it went off went I restarted my car
Jan xx: sent the car to the dealer but no fault could be found
June 18: engine light was on again but this time both light on NAV and yellow engine icon was on
June 19: they found there were mis-fire and secondary fuel pump failure
June 20: took my car back and no light or anything
June 21: engine light was on again
June 22: was waiting response from BMW Canada
June 25: no fault could be found and gonna do a road test
June 26: no fault could be found also and inspected each cyclinder
June 27: no fault and picked up the car
June 28: no problem
June 29: Engine Light Was ON
July 9: Car was sent back to service
July 10: Engine mis-fire again
July 11: Spotted a problem: Engine oil somehow get on the spark plug and case sent to BMW Canada
July 12: BMW has no idea why
July 13: New Engine has been ordered and the old engine will be ship back to Germany to find out the cause. Hope this can be prevented in the future and hopefully the new engine will arrive next week
Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Ah well.. ***** happens and breaks.. It happens with all new models..

Look at all the problems with the 2002 c32! No new engines that I am aware of.. but superchargers, intercooler pumps, front suspension, tranny jerks, etc, etc..

I just sold my C32 today.. I was said to see her leave, but am happy I won't have to see my favorite SA at MB anymore!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
When bmws have problems,they have major issues. Fuel pumps,blown engines.. My 03 350z which was the 1st yr model only had minor problems. The 02-04 m3s have engines blowing!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
The AA Xede has been fun so far.. hopefully I will never have bad news to report.. LOL
I also have the AA Xede and would not trade it for anything else out there. If you look at every-body's trap speed they are all the same whether Procede or xede, with the exception of Vishnu's personal car which no one else has duplicated. .The car already has 20000 miles on the clock, my car was one of the test cars for their product. The only issue that my car has had is a rear light bulb malfunction, display shows light is out but all is fine.

Their latest map version really screams.

Last edited by rflow306; 08-15-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 PM

C32 AMG
Ah well.. ***** happens and breaks.. It happens with all new models..

Look at all the problems with the 2002 c32! No new engines that I am aware of.. but superchargers, intercooler pumps, front suspension, tranny jerks, etc, etc..

I just sold my C32 today.. I was said to see her leave, but am happy I won't have to see my favorite SA at MB anymore!
Darn. I was hoping to see you line up both cars and do some runs. Oh well.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by rflow306
I also have the AA Xede and would not trade it for anything else out there. If you look at every-body's trap speed they are all the same whether Procede or xede, with the exception of Vishnu's personal car which no one else has duplicated. .The car already has 20000 miles on the clock, my car was one of the test cars for their product. The only issue that my car has had is a rear light bulb malfunction, display shows light is out but all is fine.

Their latest map version really screams.

Is there a new map available? I need to get some info..