C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need Advice - C32 Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice - C32 Repair

I have a 2002 C32 and the engine light went on. I took it into Autobahn Motors in Belmont, California (San Francisco Bay area) and they basically told me we are looking at a $4k+ repair job. Here are the following things that require repair/replacement:

(price includes part+labor)
Supercharger Air cooler pump - $890
Purge Control Valve - $250
Torgue Strut Bushings - $590
Transmission Control Module - $1346
Second Air Injection Pump - $680

The car has less than 40k miles and I am thinking about whether I should just sell the car or do the fixes. Also, should I just fix this at the dealership or take it to a mercedes repair shop? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by inflectionptc32
I have a 2002 C32 and the engine light went on. I took it into Autobahn Motors in Belmont, California (San Francisco Bay area) and they basically told me we are looking at a $4k+ repair job. Here are the following things that require repair/replacement:

The car has less than 40k miles and I am thinking about whether I should just sell the car or do the fixes. Also, should I just fix this at the dealership or take it to a mercedes repair shop? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
So suddenly and simultaneously FIVE things all went bad at once???

I think you are getting shafted. All of this was a diagnosis of the check engine light?

PS: Mercedes has a recall involving the Secondary Air Injection Pump.

I hate to say it, but you may want to visit a .................. dealer.

You have a LOT of C32 owners on this site, and with the exception of the intercooler fluid pump (I think that's the first item) I can't say I've seen any failures like the others noted. And the fluid pump is not a $1,000 job, even if you use MB parts and expensive labor.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 PM

I tried to look for recall info online for c32 but couldnt' find any. It's weird that my service rep did tell me that there is a recall but why is he also trying to charge me for that? This is messed up.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by inflectionptc32

Dude, two words: "Bend Over". All right, two more: "Rip Off!"

First of all, did you buy with a CPO warranty? How did the TCU and strut bushing set off the CEL? I do not understand. Was this a dealership or indendent?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
There is a recall on the air pump relay and ECU program for this air pump control.

Since this is part of the smog control equipment, it should be covered under the emissions warranty.

The supercharger coolant pump is a minor item. One can just adapt the Ford IC pump from the Mustang. Do a search on this website. The pump costs less than $100 from Ford.

Did they indicate what the cause of check engine light was?

The TCU should not be an issue, why do they want to replace that?

The Strut Bushings have nothing to do with the engine light, although they are known to go bad.

The purge control valve I doubt, check to see, if a hose came off. It should be simple to replace, if one needed to.

Check out this guy:

http://pacautocare.com/index.html

Personalized Auto Care
1394 North 4th Street
San Jose, CA 95112

Telephone: (408) 453-1010
Fax: (408) 453-3834
Email: pac99@pacbell.net

Hours of Operation:
Weekdays: 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Weekends: Closed
Old 07-19-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The last thing on the list is the only thing that could set off the CEL, except maybe the Purge Control valve. Have them replace the Secondary air pump under the emissions warranty which is 8 years or 80k miles, then if the car runs fine and has no CEL do nothing else on the list. The purge Control valve may be a covered emissions item as well.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:01 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
Yes, definitely pursue the emissions warranty and recall for the air pump. The
purge valve may be considered part of the emissions, since it helps vent the charcoal canister for the gas tank emissions. This requires using a MB dealer.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG, 1997 C5 Corvette (sold)
I recently had the CEL set off by the Air Pump issue. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the pump and relay due to the recall - all covered, no cost out of my pocket.

Definitely sounds like you need find another dealership. These guys sound like they're trying to take you for as much as they can. Don't fall for it. Like other's have said, address the Air Pump issue through the recall, and change the I/C Pump yourself using the Ford replacement.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
So suddenly and simultaneously FIVE things all went bad at once???

I think you are getting shafted. All of this was a diagnosis of the check engine light?

PS: Mercedes has a recall involving the Secondary Air Injection Pump.

I hate to say it, but you may want to visit a .................. dealer.

You have a LOT of C32 owners on this site, and with the exception of the intercooler fluid pump (I think that's the first item) I can't say I've seen any failures like the others noted. And the fluid pump is not a $1,000 job, even if you use MB parts and expensive labor.
Autobahn is a dealer though. I assume that since they're in Belmont, they're used to quoting high and expecting people to pay it.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 PM

C32 '02 silver 70K
Emissions Warrenty = yes, forget the rest (for now)

Zeppelin states: " Have them replace the Secondary air pump under the emissions warranty which is 8 years or 80k miles, then if the car runs fine and has no CEL do nothing else on the list."

I agree - but take it to a different place!! They tried to ripp you off the first time, why give them a chance to "make things come true" (your loss).

Trust is good, but it must be earned. Your Q. tells me, you don't trust them - so why go back?

Best of luck, if that's what it takes.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
Try these guys, you may get better warranty service. It is not far from Caltrain.

Park Avenue Motors

3290 Park Boulevard
Palo Alto, California 94306
Service: 877-647-5785