C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Got the larger heat exchanger installed last night! ~ Pics ~ News

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra/E55
Brandon is THE MAN! I can't wait to see what other products he comes up with.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I think the next project should be a good set of inexpensive headers
Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Magician
I think the next project should be a good set of inexpensive headers

1FastC32 has tackled this project and they will be done soon.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Yeah, I left the headers alone. But I agree, we definitely need a well priced set of headers
Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
UPDATE:

After talking with many people, I have decided to make this a completely bolt-in affair with no trimming. The unit will be smaller than the one pictured previously, but still much, much larger than the stock unit. The inlet and outlet will line up with the stock hoses perfectly. I talked with the fabricator, and I will have the new design the beginning of next week. This new unit will still be far more efficient than the stock piece, and will handle any of the power the C32 can throw at it, stock or modified. Stay tuned...

On a side note, it was 90 in LA today when I was visiting. Normally after spirited driving, the car starts to feel very sluggish. Today however, all day long, the car felt strong. At no time did I feel like I had any power loss. I am very excited we are finally coming close to releasing this, as I think its a great upgrade for every C32.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by code3smith
UPDATE:

After talking with many people, I have decided to make this a completely bolt-in affair with no trimming. The unit will be smaller than the one pictured previously, but still much, much larger than the stock unit. The inlet and outlet will line up with the stock hoses perfectly. I talked with the fabricator, and I will have the new design the beginning of next week. This new unit will still be far more efficient than the stock piece, and will handle any of the power the C32 can throw at it, stock or modified. Stay tuned...

On a side note, it was 90 in LA today when I was visiting. Normally after spirited driving, the car starts to feel very sluggish. Today however, all day long, the car felt strong. At no time did I feel like I had any power loss. I am very excited we are finally coming close to releasing this, as I think its a great upgrade for every C32.
Hopefully you release it well before summer ends.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
UPDATE:

sweet
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 AM

c32 AMG
Sounds awesome ..I like the no trimming part.. An install instructions manual would be nice tooooo
Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
UPDATE:

Count me in!!!

I'll take one, with or without instructions

See yeah
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
i would like one as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I just wanted to illustrate to everyone the size difference between the stock unit and the upgraded unit. As you can see from the picture below, the increase is still quite dramatic, even though smaller than the unit first pictured. Of course there are numerous other improvements over the stock unit in terms of material and construction. The upgraded HE will outperform the stock unit in every way. The core material is in, and the first new unit will be here soon for final approval. I cant wait.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this picture represents the size difference of the core size itself, and is to scale.

Last edited by Code3 Performance; 08-10-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
So, the smaller rectangle is the stock HE, and larger rectangle is upgraded HE? Or... the smaller rectangle is stock, and the whole diagram is upgraded? Or, something else?

Sorry for being dense... thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
The two rectangles represent the size of the heat exchanger cores without the end tanks. They are sitting right up against each other. The larger one is the upgraded unit. The smaller one is the stock unit. The larger one is the same length, but both taller and thicker. The end tanks are aluminum on the upgraded unit, instead of plastic. Also the upgraded core will be a bar and plate design, versus the stock tube and fin.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
If anyone wants data on this upgrade i have file and files of track time where I logged IAT, throttle position and I think ignition advance.

Temps NEVER went over say 172 even on a 105 degree day in Lancaster. This is was when driving the car flat out for 40 minutes of serious track time. Willow springs is a big fast track and you sit at WOT for a good portion of it. Temps do climb on the straights but they start to come down around 170 since by then the car is traveling at 140 mph and there is so much airflow through the core etc.

I mean in the end anyone can do this job. Its just a big core with some hoses installed to make it work. We used the factory pump since it flowed enough liquid for the job. We had plans for moving the batt to the trunk, puting a water tank in that location, installing a bigger pump, and even top mount cores like the SLR but this front mounted liquid cooler worked so well we did not need to go that far. The core shown in the photos above is a core that was designed for a supercharged E46 M3. It was good up to about 600 hp according to the manufacturer (on the M3 setup).

But we did take the stock core in the V of the engine and re-plumb it to have the liquid flow more directly and we also increased the holes carrying fluid in and out of the core to 3/4 of an inch to allow for better circulation (same size as the 55k cars). I dont know how much of the increase in efficiency was due to the larger piping through out and the reworked IC core in the V but the combined package was amazing.

Good luck everyone and enjoy the power.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-11-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
The two rectangles represent the size of the heat exchanger cores without the end tanks. They are sitting right up against each other. The larger one is the upgraded unit. The smaller one is the stock unit. The larger one is the same length, but both taller and thicker. The end tanks are aluminum on the upgraded unit, instead of plastic. Also the upgraded core will be a bar and plate design, versus the stock tube and fin.
Any updates...? Timetable/Pricing...?

TIA!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I will have the first, redesigned unit in my hands this weekend for approval. If all is well, pictures, data, and pricing will all be available by the end of next week. I have now dedicated all of my time to getting all five of my current projects released. Sometimes getting fired is the best thing to ever happen
Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 PM
SPONSOR

I will have the first, redesigned unit in my hands this weekend for approval. If all is well, pictures, data, and pricing will all be available by the end of next week. I have now dedicated all of my time to getting all five of my current projects released. Sometimes getting fired is the best thing to ever happen
what else do you have in the works besides this?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:58 AM

2003 C32 AMG
^^^^^ Yes please explain.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Yes, please tell.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
For now, I will just tell you this. There are two other cooling projects, one power project, and one suspension project. I am also looking into the viability of an additional suspension project. I have been working on these projects part-time for months. Like I said, I am now working on them full time, so things are developing much faster. I promise, more news will be coming very soon
Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
For now, I will just tell you this. There are two other cooling projects, one power project, and one suspension project. I am also looking into the viability of an additional suspension project. I have been working on these projects part-time for months. Like I said, I am now working on them full time, so things are developing much faster. I promise, more news will be coming very soon
I can't wait to see all of the finished products. From what I've seen so far the heat exchanger is top-quality and offers much greater surface area over stock. Kudos to you Brandon!

-Aaron
Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM

SLK32
Here is a picture of my seconday heat exchanger installed. It has been in for a couple of weeks and is fantastic. There is no drop off in performance, period. With the secondary heat exchanger in place I have added ~1 gallon of coolant to the system. The stock heat exchanger is still in place adding its surface area to the the cooling process.

Yes, the heat excahnger is full height. It goes all the way to the bottom splash guard.

In addition to the larger heat exchanger we installed the Johnson CM90 pump set to run all the time and have put in a check valve to keep the systems seperate (for the most part).

Rich @ Benzwerks did a great job.
Attached Thumbnails Got the larger heat exchanger installed last night! ~ Pics ~ News-front-no-grill-1.jpg  

Last edited by 430; 08-21-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
It looks like a very nice job. Although I think it might be overkill. Get any IAT data? Any coolant temp data? It seems like you are blocking all of the radiator. As a former QA Engineer, I would rather have less potential points of failure in a system to deal with. It seems that simply replacing the stock unit with an upgraded unit is all this car needs, stock or modified.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
How much longer until this unit is available? If I can't enjoy it this summer, I probably won't do the mod.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
The first unit will be here tomorrow. I have pics and a tracking number, so I know its on the way I am going to test fit it. If all is well, they will hopefully be available by the end of the week to purchase, and shipping next week. The unit turned out great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got the larger heat exchanger installed last night! ~ Pics ~ News