C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Poor driving dynamics after 2 separate events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 and 2009 Audi S5
Red face Poor driving dynamics after 2 separate events

I am wondering if any of you have some thoughts about what my next step should be based on what I am about to relate:

I had two new rear tires (conti 2 sports) put on to match the fronts (obviously the sizes were different, but the same brand and model). Hours later, without having paid too much attention to how the car handled because 1) they weren't broken in yet and 2) I used the same company and the same tires previously and they had done a good job, I hit a large trough on an on-ramp at 65mph that jarred the car pretty hard.

I didn't notice any ill-effects until the next day, as again I wasn't tearing into the corners or driving aggressively.

The moment I felt something strange (a very unstable feeling as if I had sponges for suspension parts) I dropped it off at the dealer. They noticed fluid "coming from the front end" and told me they fixed it. Stupid me can't remember what they did but I figured whatever it was had been fixed so I went on my merry way.

I then realized that the squirrely feeling I had previously was still there, so I promptly brought it back in and was told after inspection that everything was tight and in good shape. Well the thing still felt like crap, so I called them after getting home and was told that possibly I had separated the belts in my front tires from the impact.

It feels like I am riding on tires that are much too large for the rim, as if the sidewall is flexing an inordinate amount. It basically feels like absolute crap.

Has anyone had a belt separation from an impact such as I described or is the Mercedes dealership not looking closely enough in your opinion?

Finally, I cound't find the paperwork from the fluid leak repair and my service advisor is on vacation, so I can't recall what the issue was that caused the leak up front (seals?).

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
what size tire are you running?

if the inner belt of the tire is broken you would see a bubble, but generally it would not affect the handling, but you could risk of blowing it out.

it sounds more like your sway bar endlink gave out whih resulted in losing function of the sway bar i.e. a boaty feel in the corner.

OR one of your shocks gave out.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FrankW
what size tire are you running?

if the inner belt of the tire is broken you would see a bubble, but generally it would not affect the handling, but you could risk of blowing it out.

it sounds more like your sway bar endlink gave out whih resulted in losing function of the sway bar i.e. a boaty feel in the corner.

OR one of your shocks gave out.
I agree with this. Fluid leak could be shock oil, and "fixing" may mean it's all leaked out!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks to you both.

I am leaning toward a shock issue, which is the message I left for them awhile back but had to cancel my appointment because my daughter was born on that same day (my first).

Thanks for your input, it is really appreciated!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:29 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
congrats on the new born
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it.