C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Changing headlamp DIY: You might need jackstands.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Changing headlamp DIY: You might need jackstands.

If you've never changed a headlamp bulb, make sure you have beer handy.

10 minutes job, right? First you unclip a "cup" that covers the back of the light and then you unplug the light itself. Now the fun part. The light is clipped in with a simple wire clip. But you can't just unclip one side and swing the clip away. Bulb won't fit out.

OK, now it's a 20 minute job. You need to unclip and then pinch the clip off the "hinge" side (down under where you really can't see it). Then it comes out.

Here's where the jackstands come in. When re-inserting the clip by feel (cramped space, no room for a light, your hand and your head), you inevitably lose the friggin' clip, and it sproings off in some unknown direction - generally down. It disappears into the bowels of the engine compartment/bumper assembly. It is conveniently suspended off the floor in one of the several under-engine plastic panels.

OK, now it's a 40 minute job. So, you roll out the jack and a pair of jackstands and lift the front high enough to crawl under. Assess the situation. There's a big middle panel and a smaller one near the wheel well. Where's my clip? Bang on the panels and determine it's in the smaller one, which has lots of screws holding it on.

Now it's a 60 minute job. Then I note a little access hole. So I bop the panel a few times and feel around inside the hole and nab the clip.

After a lot of knuckle-scraping, sweating and swearing, the light is replaced. Total time, 45 minutes (spread over 2 days since it took two trips to parts stores to find a bulb).
Old 10-01-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
If you've never changed a headlamp bulb, make sure you have beer handy.

10 minutes job, right? First you unclip a "cup" that covers the back of the light and then you unplug the light itself. Now the fun part. The light is clipped in with a simple wire clip. But you can't just unclip one side and swing the clip away. Bulb won't fit out.

OK, now it's a 20 minute job. You need to unclip and then pinch the clip off the "hinge" side (down under where you really can't see it). Then it comes out.

Here's where the jackstands come in. When re-inserting the clip by feel (cramped space, no room for a light, your hand and your head), you inevitably lose the friggin' clip, and it sproings off in some unknown direction - generally down. It disappears into the bowels of the engine compartment/bumper assembly. It is conveniently suspended off the floor in one of the several under-engine plastic panels.

OK, now it's a 40 minute job. So, you roll out the jack and a pair of jackstands and lift the front high enough to crawl under. Assess the situation. There's a big middle panel and a smaller one near the wheel well. Where's my clip? Bang on the panels and determine it's in the smaller one, which has lots of screws holding it on.

Now it's a 60 minute job. Then I note a little access hole. So I bop the panel a few times and feel around inside the hole and nab the clip.

After a lot of knuckle-scraping, sweating and swearing, the light is replaced. Total time, 45 minutes (spread over 2 days since it took two trips to parts stores to find a bulb).
Whew! Sorry man!
How many people did you cuss out?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Whew! Sorry man!
How many people did you cuss out?
It doesn't help that every time I go to an auto parts store, I spend about $10 on needless stuff. Usually injector cleaner, but this time I got "Gojo" hand cleaner.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Which headlamps do you have? I changed the bulbs in my BiX in less than 5 minutes. The clips swung out and I was able to easily take out the bulbs.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jgsx
Which headlamps do you have? I changed the bulbs in my BiX in less than 5 minutes. The clips swung out and I was able to easily take out the bulbs.
I have the much sought after "frosty" lights. Bulb base is too big to get it out (blocked by wire clamp).
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 198 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
How hard are the frosty lights? The bulb can be removed in under 20 seconds (10s if you know what you're doing).

Open black cup thing, untwist clip, pull out clip with bulb attached.
Getting the bulb off is a little trickier, but you just wiggle it out.

Bix aren't much harder. Maybe 30s.
Open black cup thing, unhook igniter, unhook 2 clips, bulb comes right out. What exactly are you doing mang?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by slammer111
How hard are the frosty lights? The bulb can be removed in under 20 seconds (10s if you know what you're doing).

Open black cup thing, untwist clip, pull out clip with bulb attached.
Getting the bulb off is a little trickier, but you just wiggle it out.

Bix aren't much harder. Maybe 30s.
Open black cup thing, unhook igniter, unhook 2 clips, bulb comes right out. What exactly are you doing mang?
The "pull out clip with bulb attached" was what hung me up; particularly after I dropped the clip into the engine bay.