C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Thinking of getting a C32. What's the maintenance schedule like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55
not sure where this is going but the difference here is that with an MB, you have to rely on having the dealer fix the issues and pray that warranty covers it. At least with the 911, you can do mostly all the work yourself. It is an excellent track car, and the ownership and comaraderie of other 911 owners is priceless. I've done the going to the dealer for service every month bit, and don't wish to repeat that -ever. Don't get me wrong, the C32 is a stunning car, hell, I almost bought one before deciding on a buying a C55. I agree that this forum is loaded with helpful information, for which I've decided to use and make a decision. What I didn't expect were the ricer comments, especially on an AMG forum.
The following users liked this post:
Zeddz (11-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Yeah, haven't had many problems with my 02. We had the differential replaced during the first few months of having the car, but at least it was driveable while the part was being shipped. Otherwise it hasn't been any trouble and I got lucky with the valeo radiator thing (despite a nov. 01 build date) after checking the sticker this summer as well as doing the glycol test.

Compared to my friends' M3's, this car has cost me way less in repairs and downtime. We do have the extended warranty from back in 02 so that eases any concerns now. I'll probably keep the car through 09 when it's up since it has been pretty good. Plus I only just hit 36k mileage so it should be fine.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM

ice cream truck
Originally Posted by m444
Fortunately most of the C32 weaknesses are well documented in this forum, so the forum is an encyclopedia of C32 repair knowledge.
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. This is a pretty good forum and I hope to be a "real" member of it soon.

I like what you said about the weaknesses being well documented in this forum. I feel like as long as the weaknesses are small (i.e. replace some components) and can be dealt with by myself (i.e. no major transmission/engine overhal problems), the maintenance costs shouldn't be crazy.

On a side note, I was discussing this w/ my mechanic today and he said MB are have less problems than BMWs.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by bo0osted
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

From the sounds of it, many of you love your C32 as long as it's under extended warranty. Do you guys plan on selling your C32 once warranty is over? I ask because the one's I've been looking at are nearing the end of their warranty.

I lean towards the C32 because it's an automatic. After driving manual all these years, it'd be a nice change. I also love the way it looks. My friend a few years back owned a C320. By simply lowering it and getting rims, the car just looked amazing.
Definitely a great car all around. Fast, stylish, comfortable and easy to drive. Your passengers will not have a clue it's a fast car (if you consider that a good thing).

The bad -- it isn't a very reliable car and very expensive to fix. I've owned my 36k mile '02 since March and it has probably racked up at least $2,500 in repair bills -- all covered under the CPO warranty. Whew! I wouldn't buy this car without a W, seriously. I can't stress that enough. I intend to extend mine as long as humanly possible. Also gas mileage isn't great. Mine gets between 15.5-17 MPG depending on how I drive.

'02s are the most common but the hardest to buy as a CPO with the MB warranty now. They're getting too old. I'd get as new of one as I could afford, and again be sure you get a warranty, preferably the MB warranty. There's a lot of fly-by-night warranty companies out there so do your homework if you have to go aftermarket.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
I have considered getting another 911, many times, but I really want a four door sedan.

Some people seem to have less problems with the C32 than others. One should consider buying the newest model 2004 C32s, if they are in the market. The 2002 models did seem to have a few extra problems.

For now, the C32, has been pretty good to me. I may update the battery, to preclude sudden failure (it is over 5 years old, now).
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by fivepointfivev8
...probably the funniest ricer comment I've ever heard!

Dude, get a girlfriend.
A comment not praising a 20 year old low end Pcar is ricer? Ok pal. Don't overstate what it is you have... its a 20 year old Carrera not a Turbo, nothing special.

Girlfriend? Coming from a guy with that avatar, perhaps you should take your own advice. And its cute, right after I make fun of you for putting me in your sig you go and change it. Grow a backbone.

And perhaps respond once your ********* drop, or after you get out of your teens.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 PM

C55
dude, get over it. Do you even own an AMG?

Hate the 911 all you want, no need for you in our ownership pool, you simply don't belong.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
i really like the c32 especially the moddability. 430hp is within reach for $4-7K depending where you source the parts.

the one BIG thing with 02's- GLYCOL CONTAMINATED TRANNY. seach "glycol" for lowdown. I would not get an 02 unless it passes tranny fluid testing. and righ after you get it- change the rad if it's the valeo.

i've done 67k in mine...the seat heater failed 2x, the battery failed, the alternator failed (may have been related to the defective battery). rear bulb relay. thrust arm bushings. and that's it. i replaced the rad, the ic pump on my own before probs and as part of mods.

my car has 72k (bought starmarked at 5k) and runs very well for age and use, no rattles creaks (save my urethane camber bushings!)

i know you don't want to mod but -if you can -test drive a stg 2 car, i'm sure you will be impressed.
Zeddz (11-10-2021)
Old 10-14-2007, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dude, get over it. Do you even own an AMG?

Hate the 911 all you want, no need for you in our ownership pool, you simply don't belong.
hahaha, cute coming from the kid with that av and the used car.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:01 AM

C55
Is it me, or is this really how it is here? Are all of you on this board clueless?

What a disapointmant....

wow...
Old 10-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Is it me, or is this really how it is here? Are all of you on this board clueless?

What a disapointmant....

wow...
Dude, what is up with you? You and Pointman have taken your little pissing match seriously OT here. Now you are calling everyone on the board "clueless"? Have we collectively offended you in some way?

As someone that has not yet achieved "Member" status, you are alienating a lot of people right now.

You seem to like to push people's buttons. Comments like "the C32 is a piece of junk" on a C32/C55 forum is just retarded. Changing your avatar to the gay thing is certainly making friends fast. Hell, you are even taking satisfaction in offending an entire state.

You know, most of us seem to get along just fine here. There is a wealth of knowledge that exists in the minds of the board members here. Let's hope that someday, you won't need to tap into it. You may be hearing crickets in response.

edit: thanks for dropping the negativity from your profile and signature now.

Last edited by ScottW911; 10-15-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Zeddz (11-10-2021)
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What a disapointmant....

wow...
Hahaha, you are such a sad little kid. I make fun of your av once.. you change it. I make fun of it again, you change it again. Pathetic.