C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Problem list C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55
Problem list C55

After about a couple months and a few thousand miles, I have the following things go wrong. After doing searches on the board I found these to be somewhat normal, but I have some questions that perhaps you've had the same experience with:

Driver side seat bottom not heating up - I’ve read where people have had this changed and were upset with the dealer for putting in a new seat bottom that doesn’t match up. Is this more prevalent among the C32 (where the seats have a colored center to them) or accross the board? I’m going to request to have them save the original seat bottom just in case.

Rear window defrost/ heater element works very slowly compared to other vehicle’s I’ve had. Takes a real long time for it to clear just a little fog. I didn’t see anything on this issue here except for cracking rear windows for too much heat (incorrectly wiring them back up).

Side mirrors don’t heat up to rid condensation on surface of mirrors, aren’t these wired up to the rear window defrost/fog?

Rear spoiler is separating from trunk lid on the right side – should I have this taken care of now, or wait until it falls off? I’ve read where people had this reattached and fell and separated again, I’m thinking of taking it to a specialized body shop to reattach with something strong(er).

I’ve played around with different air pressures but can’t rid the front shimmy/vibrations/constant humm sound at ~65mph, will need to have them re-balanced.

The stereo sound not working fixed itself and didn’t happen since.

As the list seems to grow, what do you guys do when you go in for service, do you give your SA the list of things wrong (along with a case of beer), and do you do this while you are in for services A or B or schedule a separate visit for the extra issues?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
I've had a lot of problems with my C55, but only 1 in common with your list (spoiler coming loose). Matter of fact, this was one of the things they fixed when it was in for the lifter tick issue the other week (which they didn't fix). From what I've heard this is a fairly common problem. Mine just won't stay down for long and it's been fixed 3 times so far (it's just stuck on with double sided tape). My theory is this... they molded the spoiler with a negative curve so the middle is always "flush" against the trunk (so no ugly gap), but this requires the ends to be securely fastened. I think they put a little too much curve in it for the double side tape to hold and it inevitibly it peels loose.

Just be careful of how they fix it... the fist time mine was fixed, it wasn't completely loose & they scratched the hell out of my trunk lid removing it! So I had to take it back for them to fix the trunk lid. Dealers...
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
Driver side seat heater.... common w203 problem. Similar to having an operation...just make sure you put a big sticky note on the seat where replacement is needed. The dealer here changed the passenger-side seat cover when they were supposed to replace the driver-side seat cover. Silly dealer.

Defroster & side mirrors...sounds like it might not be getting any juice. Maybe check the fuse before going any further?

Balancing... go to a competent high-end tire shop. They can resolve the balancing issue. Have the contents of your tires evacuated and replaced with nitrogen. They will be less susceptible to temperature and pressure fluctuations.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55
As I have posted before...

rear tires wear out too fast.

Sorry.....couldn't resist.