C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Magnecore wires / rough idle

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG - Supra Turbo
Magnecore wires / rough idle

Picked up the 8.5mm magnecore wires and now the car has a rough idle

Before/mods:
Car had a great idle
Resonator delete
knn filters

Exact work done:
Replaced stock wires with magnecore wires
spark plugs were left alone
coil packs were left alone

Situation:
Rough idle
idle speed variance (occasionally hops up over 900rpms and drops down to near stalling)
sputtering sounds
noticable misfire felt inside the car

Things i checked:
-Made sure magnecore wires clip onto spark plugs correctly
-sprayed water on the wires to see if they are arcing (they are not)
-put stock wires back in (and car idled fine again)

Heres the question- Is there possibly something i missed while doing this install? can any other connections possibly be loose with the magnecore wires? Do i need to step down to a colder plug with these? does plug gap have to be adjusted with these to maintain idle? Are the wires possibly just faulty?

anyone's experience will help cuz this is pissing me off

(btw, im doing a before and after with every single mod on my car to date, which i am hoping to compile after i fix this and install a couple more parts... thanks to SPRacing for letting me use their dyno for free!)
Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
Do you have a check engine light on?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by CNCRaceParts
Picked up the 8.5mm magnecore wires and now the car has a rough idle

Before/mods:
Car had a great idle
Resonator delete
knn filters

Exact work done:
Replaced stock wires with magnecore wires
spark plugs were left alone
coil packs were left alone

Situation:
Rough idle
idle speed variance (occasionally hops up over 900rpms and drops down to near stalling)
sputtering sounds
noticable misfire felt inside the car

Things i checked:
-Made sure magnecore wires clip onto spark plugs correctly
-sprayed water on the wires to see if they are arcing (they are not)
-put stock wires back in (and car idled fine again)

Heres the question- Is there possibly something i missed while doing this install? can any other connections possibly be loose with the magnecore wires? Do i need to step down to a colder plug with these? does plug gap have to be adjusted with these to maintain idle? Are the wires possibly just faulty?

anyone's experience will help cuz this is pissing me off

(btw, im doing a before and after with every single mod on my car to date, which i am hoping to compile after i fix this and install a couple more parts... thanks to SPRacing for letting me use their dyno for free!)
If you are ever in the Aurora area, let me know. I would love to see the car.

I got rid of my Magenecore wires because of the issues I had. I'm now using the LET Motorsports plug wires. They are truely much better.

http://www.letmotorsports.com/c32.as...2&category=all

Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I had also had problems with magnacor wires on my C55. Four of them just stopped working and temporarily knocked out 2 cylinders. Went back to OE wires, no troubles. The magnacors were great on my C43, never had a problem with them then.

Regards,
Marc
Old 10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
They appear to be hit and miss, my magnecors have been perfectly fine. I also changed spark plugs, and regapped them at the same time.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 AM

Mercedes C32 AMG
You had a bad wire. Thats all. Sometimes they do come new bad or you pulled on the boot or something and damaged it by accident. Change wires one at a time from old to new. starting up car after each wire. You will notice when you find the bad new one or Send them back and get another set.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG - Supra Turbo
Originally Posted by neihouma
Do you have a check engine light on?
nope, id assume this would only happen if there was a significant misfire (like both plugs missing)
I also hate the fact that i dont know of a way to get a reading from the knock sensor on this thing (if you know of one... please tell me!)

Originally Posted by iceking6943
You had a bad wire. Thats all. Sometimes they do come new bad or you pulled on the boot or something and damaged it by accident. Change wires one at a time from old to new. starting up car after each wire. You will notice when you find the bad new one or Send them back and get another set.
i actually just thought of doing that today while i was at the shop... however it did not solve my problem

this leads me to assume that 2 or more of the wires are bad, but only 1 of 2 on the cylinder based on the fact that it still runs

i guess ill give magnecore a call tomorrow and try to get another set

any more ideas? should i try swapping the plugs?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by CNCRaceParts
nope, id assume this would only happen if there was a significant misfire (like both plugs missing)
I also hate the fact that i dont know of a way to get a reading from the knock sensor on this thing (if you know of one... please tell me!)

i actually just thought of doing that today while i was at the shop... however it did not solve my problem

this leads me to assume that 2 or more of the wires are bad, but only 1 of 2 on the cylinder based on the fact that it still runs

i guess ill give magnecore a call tomorrow and try to get another set

any more ideas? should i try swapping the plugs?
I would put the old wires back on and swap in the new ones one at a time. That way you know which ones are bad.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 AM

02 C32 AMG sold!
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
I would put the old wires back on and swap in the new ones one at a time. That way you know which ones are bad.

I wanted to that this morning & on top of that, run the car with 11 Magnecor
installed properly and the 12th one incorrectly to see if I can simulate the
problem or set off the CE light.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 AM

SLK32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
If you are ever in the Aurora area, let me know. I would love to see the car.

I got rid of my Magenecore wires because of the issues I had. I'm now using the LET Motorsports plug wires. They are truely much better.

http://www.letmotorsports.com/c32.as...2&category=all
Instead of hitting up LET I will ask here so everyone has the answers.

Any additional information on the plug wires? How do these compare to the EVO wires? How do they compare to the stock wires? What makes these wires better? $315 is kind of pricey for plug wires.

I am not knocking these wires at all I am just looking for some additional info.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by 430
Instead of hitting up LET I will ask here so everyone has the answers.

Any additional information on the plug wires? How do these compare to the EVO wires? How do they compare to the stock wires? What makes these wires better? $315 is kind of pricey for plug wires.

I am not knocking these wires at all I am just looking for some additional info.
The wires are made better than the OEM wires and hold up much better than any others I have used.

The LET wires and the EVO wires are exactly the same! They come from the same manufacturer. LET has them for $50 less (LET includes shipping).

Here is the technical description from the brochure.

"LET Ignition Wires create the most powerful spark possible. Our wires are engineered with a special built-in capacitor. This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful. The result is faster, more complete combustion, and most importantly, MORE HORSEPOWER that's 100%. Smog Legal."

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE=AMG-Jerry;2482166]The wires are made better than the OEM wires and hold up much better than any others I have used.

The LET wires and the EVO wires are exactly the same! They come from the same manufacturer. LET has them for $50 less (LET includes shipping).

Here is the technical description from the brochure.

"LET Ignition Wires create the most powerful spark possible. Our wires are engineered with a special built-in capacitor. This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful. The result is faster, more complete combustion, and most importantly, MORE HORSEPOWER that's 100%. Smog Legal."

thos are nice wires!

look just like OEM.

its well known around here how I feel about aftermarket wires.. starts with the letter M

i suffered for about 1 year with a rough idle, CEL's and poor MPG and it turned to be the wires.

I would not change the wires.. unless you buy the ones above.

don't even bother with the spark plugs either, unless you really need them.

Just spend your money on a pulley, a good IC pump and IC HE.. that is where you will see the most bang for your $$

i tried the wires, plugs, filters, ect.. its not really worth it.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
I wanted this mod, but guess i'm going to hold off for a while.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
ok... this is a good posting, by the way.

quick question, i changed my plugs a about 6 months ago and started shortly afterwards having a "rough idle" searched and talked to a few members on here about the problem and not really being able to really isolate the problem... went down the route of putting new things on the car that didn't need to be replaced... but now that i've read this post... could it be that i damaged my OEM wires when i changed my plugs? b/c every now and again i'll get a check engine light popping up of Cylinder misfire (p0300 or p0301, p0302,p0303) which is either multiple cylinder misfires or just an single misfire... b/c when i try and think back on it i did have one HELL of a time trying to pull off the wires to get to the plugs......... and to add to it i was thinking about getting the Magnacore's but kind of worried i'll be having them burn a hole in my pocket... b/c i know if i replace the OEM wires... i should just but the LET/EVO wires for about the same costs...
Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by edtv82
ok... this is a good posting, by the way.

quick question, i changed my plugs a about 6 months ago and started shortly afterwards having a "rough idle" searched and talked to a few members on here about the problem and not really being able to really isolate the problem... went down the route of putting new things on the car that didn't need to be replaced... but now that i've read this post... could it be that i damaged my OEM wires when i changed my plugs? b/c every now and again i'll get a check engine light popping up of Cylinder misfire (p0300 or p0301, p0302,p0303) which is either multiple cylinder misfires or just an single misfire... b/c when i try and think back on it i did have one HELL of a time trying to pull off the wires to get to the plugs......... and to add to it i was thinking about getting the Magnacore's but kind of worried i'll be having them burn a hole in my pocket... b/c i know if i replace the OEM wires... i should just but the LET/EVO wires for about the same costs...

Sorry bro, it sounds like a bad wire. My idle has improved since the LET wires were put on and I have cams and a long history of idle issues.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
yeah i think im going to try my shot at the magnacore wires... im figuring i can get my money back if they are faulty.... hopefully... or at least change them up and work out a deal with Magnacore