C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Stupid Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RENNtech C32 AMG
Stupid Question?

Hey guys, I just need to be sure about doing this, since prior to this car, I haven't had experience with forced induction. Just the other day I removed the intake boxes/SL splitter and took a look at the throttle body. OMG was there ever a lot of oil! at first I thought it may have came from the green filters, but then I looked down the filter box, and nothing but dry. It just seems a lil scary how much oil is going through the S/C. I was thinking of spraying some TBI cleaner down there, but then I remembered about the compressed air and WET nitrous setups not being a good idea( or was it just the coating of the fins on the blower stripping?). Is my only safe alternative to remove the S/C then clean it?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it would depend if the rotors are coated as to what would be ok to use or not-
Old 11-24-2007, 09:35 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calimax
Hey guys, I just need to be sure about doing this, since prior to this car, I haven't had experience with forced induction. Just the other day I removed the intake boxes/SL splitter and took a look at the throttle body. OMG was there ever a lot of oil! at first I thought it may have came from the green filters, but then I looked down the filter box, and nothing but dry. It just seems a lil scary how much oil is going through the S/C. I was thinking of spraying some TBI cleaner down there, but then I remembered about the compressed air and WET nitrous setups not being a good idea( or was it just the coating of the fins on the blower stripping?). Is my only safe alternative to remove the S/C then clean it?
just unbolt the throttle body, should be a T30 torx bit...4 bolts and one electrical connector...it will not hurt anything to unbolt it, as i have had mine off of the car probably at least 20 times in the 2 years i have owned it...just be careful with the gasket and you will be fine...

please do not spray anything down into your throttle body, as one of the rotors on the supercharger is coated and you really don't want to risk spraying something down there that will cause that coating to flake off and clog your intercooler...that would be bad news...
Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I dunno.... That just doesn't seem thorough enough to me to just wipe up the TB. Hasn't this oil been going past the intake manifolds for some time by now? I would think that some of the intricate cooling components are being affected by the oil as well. however I doubt only a can of T/B cleaner will solve much, if not damage the coating of the fins in the S/C. I guess all I can do is clean the T/B area and install a catch can.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:47 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calimax
I dunno.... That just doesn't seem thorough enough to me to just wipe up the TB. Hasn't this oil been going past the intake manifolds for some time by now? I would think that some of the intricate cooling components are being affected by the oil as well. however I doubt only a can of T/B cleaner will solve much, if not damage the coating of the fins in the S/C. I guess all I can do is clean the T/B area and install a catch can.
you are correct...if you really want to get rid of the oil, then you need to remove the supercharger and intercooler setup and clean the entire system thoroughly...

then install a catch can so it does not happen again...
Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
great sounds like a weekend project! were you able to reuse the gaskets, or did you get new ones? I'll find out the torque specs from my dealer.
You said you used brake cleaner? was it non chlorinated? and you sprayed it directly on the inter-cooler? what did you use to clean the S/C?