C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 in the Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by Al Bundy
I just got mine back, the total was $580. Took about a day to fix. They replaced the lower control arm and the associated hardware. All it took after that was a good 4-wheel alignment. I just drove it for about 30 minutes and everything feels just fine. I can consider myself very lucky.

He mentioned that my back tires were shot, so now it's on to that issue. I might go with the Kumho ASX's again, they worked out pretty well on the S2000 as an Ultra-High Performance all season tire. Cheap too, they're only $110 for the back at TireRack.

Since I live downtown Chicago, I don't have to worry about getting dedicated snow tires, they do a pretty good job of keeping the roads clear. And on the other days, there's always a taxi...
Still a great deal on those, plus they still come in the right sizes...

Anybody with experience using "all-season" high-perf rubber like this in light/medium snow? Couldn't be any worse than the half-dead Sumitomo gear that my orphan came with

ZR-rated, decent treadwear, AA traction + A heat (the best possible, right?), a price to make anybody drool, and a tread pattern that actually even looks pretty cool; am I missing anything?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rahulanand1130
Yeah so today on my commute to school i was running late and although there was no snow on the roads it was 25 degrees out. Giving it throttle at anything below 35 caused my traction control to get angry with me
A lot of Amurikuns (joke) think of "snow" tires rather than "winter" tires. Summer tires are simply the wrong compound and get hard and slick when cold. So, if you have summer tires, and you're in an area with freezing temps, then you really should have winter tires (or all seasons) whether or not it's snowing.

That being said, I still have my summer tires on the C32. Winter tires have to be mounted. Until then, I'm driving the TT if there's a risk of snow.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 PM

'10 GLK 350 Capri Blue/Black
Originally Posted by rlee02135
do you have the part number of that piece? left or right side?
thanks.

I just canceled my appointment, they wanted $124 just to diagnose the problem.
Sorry, I don't have a part number. It was the front right lower control arm. They charged me $199 for the part, I thought that was a bit high.

Check out http://www.performanceproducts4benz....cid=19&sid=478 It's only $138 there.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM

'10 GLK 350 Capri Blue/Black
Originally Posted by evilsaint
Still a great deal on those, plus they still come in the right sizes...

Anybody with experience using "all-season" high-perf rubber like this in light/medium snow? Couldn't be any worse than the half-dead Sumitomo gear that my orphan came with

ZR-rated, decent treadwear, AA traction + A heat (the best possible, right?), a price to make anybody drool, and a tread pattern that actually even looks pretty cool; am I missing anything?
I used to drive the S2000 with the Kumho's in light snow all the time. It wasn't the same as driving a Hummer, but the traction was decent enough if you're careful about it. No ESP or traction control on the S2000, so if they worked there imagine how they'd do with the C32 electronics in play.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by Al Bundy
I used to drive the S2000 with the Kumho's in light snow all the time. It wasn't the same as driving a Hummer, but the traction was decent enough if you're careful about it. No ESP or traction control on the S2000, so if they worked there imagine how they'd do with the C32 electronics in play.
With the price, other reviews, and this confirmation about 'em (from another Chicago driver nonetheless!), I think I'm ready to pull the trigger now. Thanks much
Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM

02C32AMG
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M/S

I have a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M/S (Mud and Snow) all-season tires on my C32 and the car handles great in snow. We just got 6" of snow yesterday here in Chicago and the car handled file - all things considering. Setting the tranny to "W" this time of year also helps.

Note, these are not snow tires - they're all-season and I have them on my C32 year round. Love 'em!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55
Too bad they don't come in size for the C55, in fact I don't think you can even get all season tires for it (would you really want to?). The Alpins did fine btw.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
No problem, no offense taken, but to clarify a bit more I was not blaming the AMG for her snow performance (thus my comment that she "... wasn't as bad as I would have thought"), just trying to impart what I hope was an entertaining story. I take her out everyday with a pretty good idea of how she will do in the current conditions and have no expectations beyond what your average high performance, well engineered, RWD sport sedan with summer tires should do. In fact she did better than I expected considering I have lightened her by 100lbs and added 20 hp so there is nothing to blame. Praise would describe it better. If I didn't think she could handle it I'd have taken the old lady's Quattro.
I also have an '06 C-55. Had trouble getting to a from work in the MD suburbs of DC that day also. Weather forecasters were wrong about when the snow would start, and they said it wouldn't stick to the roads, just the grassy areas, etc. Yeah, right. We ended up with 4-5 inches, and it all stuck to the road. I was very happy to make it back to my garage, traction control working to get me up that slight slope. I still have my summer tires on (Michelin PS-2s). I know I need snow tires, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Yes, the summer tires lose traction in the cold very easily!

What wheels do any of you C-55 owners use with 4 of the same size snow tires? Where do you get them, Tire Rack? Cost? Are they MB wheels? Was considering the Blizzak L-22s (tires).
Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Lagunatic
I have a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M/S (Mud and Snow) all-season tires on my C32 and the car handles great in snow. We just got 6" of snow yesterday here in Chicago and the car handled file - all things considering. Setting the tranny to "W" this time of year also helps.

Note, these are not snow tires - they're all-season and I have them on my C32 year round. Love 'em!!!
good to know...I found a set cheap! 235/40/18 all around
Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by fivepointfivev8
Too bad they don't come in size for the C55, in fact I don't think you can even get all season tires for it (would you really want to?). The Alpins did fine btw.
All-season tires do just that fine in all-season but nothing beats a set of purpose built summer or winter tires....I just got home with ICE on the roads and my purpose built tires handled fine with minor tripping of traction control with super control of the throttle.....Try all season if you guys desire but don't ever think thet are better then summer or winter tires.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by c32used
Try all season if you guys desire but don't ever think thet are better then summer or winter tires.
+1, Couldn't agree more... all-seasons are (by design) a compromise - won't be as good as summer tires in the spring/summer/fall months, won't be as good as winter/snow tires in the winter months.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
This is my first winter with the C class and my god it is horrible. I knew it would be bad but it really horrible. I'm still on the Pirelli summer tires which and the rear ones are almost bald. I just pulled the car out of the driveway and it slid ALL the way down to the bottom. My driveway it pretty flat too except on a very very slight tilt. I was suprised how easily it slid. It was even harder getting it up the driveway. That took about 30 minutes of going up and sliding back down. I think I should put my winter tires on now But I think I'll just drive the explorer in this snowy weather.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

[QUOTE=Shake;2542842]This is my first winter with the C class and my god it is horrible. I knew it would be bad but it really horrible. I'm still on the Pirelli summer tires which and the rear ones are almost bald. I just pulled the car out of the driveway and it slid ALL the way down to the bottom. My driveway it pretty flat too except on a very very slight tilt. I was suprised how easily it slid. It was even harder getting it up the driveway. That took about 30 minutes of going up and sliding back down. I think I should put my winter tires on now But I think I'll just drive the explorer in this snowy]

Listen to all that think any car thats rear drive SUMMER tires are NO good in SNOW or ICE the all season tires do a good job but WINTER tires are a MUST if you want great traction in the snow and so so traction on ice! It doesnt matter the car or truck summer performance tires will be no good PERIOD!!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Listen to all that think any car thats rear drive SUMMER tires are NO good in SNOW or ICE the all season tires do a good job but WINTER tires are a MUST if you want great traction in the snow and so so traction on ice! It doesnt matter the car or truck summer performance tires will be no good PERIOD!!
Thanks for the info, I usually drive an Explorer in the winter so i'm not used to it. I did get some winter tires with the car (I think Michilen something ), I'll throw them on or I'll just drive the Explorer for the rest of the winter.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Two week review of new Blizzak LM-25 snow tires from Tire Rack (225/45-17).

Installed 1/2/08 on my '06 C-55. Of course, since then, no snow in MD. In fact, we've had some record breaking high temps. Figures, huh?
But, when it has been cold (under 45 degrees), the softer rubber of these tires is a real blessing compared to my summer tires. And traction in cold and wet weather is greatly improved. Handling is excellent considering these are snow tires. No real road noise. Very smooth. Wish I had done this before the '06-'07 winter season.

I also got 4 17" OZ Racing Superturismo wheels. Cleaned and waxed them before installation and they are staying very clean. Used Meguiar's #21 on them. Nice look, but sorry, no pics ready at this time.

I will try and post an update after getting a chance to drive in the snow/ice. Not sure when that will be....

Last edited by ricc55; 01-17-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 CLS450 4matic, 2013 CLS550 4matic (totaled), 2005 C55 (traded), & a Ford F150
Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
My normal 12 mile, 20 minute commute...
A 20 minute commute in NoVA? You are soooo lucky! My 16 mile commute normally takes 45 minutes to an hour
Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM

2005 C55 AMG
This has been an educational thread for me regarding tire usage. It also lets me know I've taken for granted my good fortune of living in Texas. What is snow???

I drove my C55 in heavy rain for the first time Tuesday night, and I've gotta' say I've never felt so safe in the rain. I'm accustomed to having some rear wheel waggle and/or hydroplane issues, and the C55 was absolutely stable at 70mph with remarkable traction control abilities. Just another example of why I'm so happy w/ this new ride! I have the BFG T/A KDW's on the front, and Goodyear Eagle F1's on the rear (on the car when I bought it), and they seem to work well. However, I have noticed in "dyno mode" the rears go up in smoke. Kinda' makes me miss being able to use Nitto Drag Radials on the rear like I'm accustomed to, but I don't miss 'em that much...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok, got my wish: snow in MD today!

So, I got to try my new Blizzak LM-25 snow tires. This was anywhere up to about 3" of snow which then turned to a rain/sleet mix, not freezing rain.

It is just amazing that I'm driving the same vehicle! These tires are amazing! It actually took some effort to force the traction control to come on, just to see when it would. Felt extremely confident driving in the conditions.

My commute from the DC suburbs to home is about 16 miles with a mix of highway and local roads.

Previously, my summer tires, as expected, were slipping very easily in wet conditions when the temps were in or under the 40's.

I highly recommend snows for wet and/or cold conditions, with or without snow.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
how's the braking?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C55
I rode on the snow for the first (slushy mix) time today as well, and the Alpins were great. Traction, braking... overall ride (even after about 2k miles) run great, I couldn't imagine on summer tires.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by fivepointfivev8
I rode on the snow for the first (slushy mix) time today as well, and the Alpins were great. Traction, braking... overall ride (even after about 2k miles) run great, I couldn't imagine on summer tires.
Even though I have had the car 2.5 years, today was my first foray into snow. I have Pilot Alpins and was very happy. The stability control is amazing. Slip out a little sideways and the system clamps the correct brakes to bring you back in line.

I had one tough hill to climb. I started at 15-20MPH and tried to hold a steady speed. The t/c kept the tires from spinning, but that slowed my progress little by little. Luckily the tires had enough grip to keep me moving forward. THAT is where AWD makes a difference. There's no way 2WD can equal AWD (assuming tires are equal) when you need absolute traction; but with good tires, traction control and stability control, there are very few situations where AWD makes that much of a difference.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
There is only one situation I fear in the winter with my C55 with winter tires:

going up a unshoveled, slippery incline from a standing stop.

I almost got stuck last year, unable to get up the hill at all after stopping in the middle of the hill because cars in front of me also could not get up. Stepping on the gas just caused ESP to cut engine power to both drive wheels because neither wheel had enough traction. When I pushed the ESP off button to turn off the power cutting aspect of the traction control, both wheel just spun with no traction and I got nowhere. I actually had to turn around and go back down the hill. Waited a while for the remaining cars to clear.....then I tried again. Fortunately, I didnt' have to stop this time, and the traction control got me up the hill (albeit slowly).
Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
There is only one situation I fear in the winter with my C55 with winter tires:

going up a unshoveled, slippery incline from a standing stop.

I almost got stuck last year, unable to get up the hill at all after stopping in the middle of the hill because cars in front of me also could not get up. Stepping on the gas just caused ESP to cut engine power to both drive wheels because neither wheel had enough traction. When I pushed the ESP off button to turn off the power cutting aspect of the traction control, both wheel just spun with no traction and I got nowhere. I actually had to turn around and go back down the hill. Waited a while for the remaining cars to clear.....then I tried again. Fortunately, I didnt' have to stop this time, and the traction control got me up the hill (albeit slowly).
That's exactly it. Just this AM, I stopped at the bottom of my driveway (short but steep) and could not get re-started. I had to back up and use momentum. But for the few times each year that you need it, I'm not sure AWD is worth it. That said, I will probably always have one AWD car or SUV in the family.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by rlee02135
how's the braking?
Braking is also very good. Forgot to mention that before.

Also, I'm sure you all know that if you are trying to brake in slippery conditions driving an automatic transmission, it can really help to slide the shifter into neutral as you slow down, especially downhill. This would be even more important if you were driving a front wheel drive car.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:33 AM

05 C230K SS
i drive 80 miles everyday up here. from stafford to herndon. computes to about hour in the mornings and an hour and a half in the afternoon. this day i left before the snow and stayed at work till 830 when they had all the roads plowed and salted.

this is the most guys ive seen from my area in one thread. we should all get together once i get my wheels on and do a photo op

Last edited by MidnghtPressor; 01-20-2008 at 11:40 AM.