C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 AMG brake clearance measurement needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sk8 brd, 76 Latina, 01 big body Avant, mk4 DD, and 1 of 3,704
C55 AMG brake clearance measurement needed

Hello, I was curious if anybody knows what the clearance needs to be in order to clear the brakes? I have a potential buyer of my wheels but I want to make sure they would fit his car. The size of wheels as well as tires & offsets are good, I just don't know about the bigger calipers rubbing the back of the wheels.

Thanks for any info
Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by B5in
Hello, I was curious if anybody knows what the clearance needs to be in order to clear the brakes? I have a potential buyer of my wheels but I want to make sure they would fit his car. The size of wheels as well as tires & offsets are good, I just don't know about the bigger calipers rubbing the back of the wheels.

Thanks for any info
The places that will rub are not addressed in the typical wheel sizing (diameter or offset). It is usually determined by the spoke configuration. You'd need to do a specific measurement of space from the face of the hub (where wheels bolt on) to the face of the caliper, and a the radius at which the caliper's face starts and ends. Then you need to reverse that and measure the new wheels.

If you're crafty, you could make a template using foam-board on edge from hub to and past the caliper. Then build a reverse template from the first template, and that becomes your hub/brake simulation.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 PM

I understand what I need to measure, the thing is I don't have a car to do the measurement with. So if anybody happens to have this car & can measure from the mounting hub of the wheel to the back of the spokes of the wheel then I can measure my wheels to see if they will clear
Old 12-10-2007, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by B5in
I understand what I need to measure, the thing is I don't have a car to do the measurement with. So if anybody happens to have this car & can measure from the mounting hub of the wheel to the back of the spokes of the wheel then I can measure my wheels to see if they will clear
Maybe you need to say where you are located. You can test on any C32 or C55. In addition to brake caliper, you need to make sure the inside edge of the tire does not rub the strut.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 PM

That would be great if someone in Chicago would be willing to help me out with a test fit! Anybody in the Chicago or NW Indiana area free this weekend?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG
i had this problem all ready the off set should be 35mm or more 38mm should do it in the front and the wheel design has a lot to do with the fitment and being that you have the i forged? correct? the design looks like its comes out then back in on the spokes.