Interested in B6 S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Altima SE-R
Interested in B6 S4

Hey guys, I am currently in the market to get rid of my Nissan Altima SE-R with 19k miles and trade it in for a 2004-2005 B6 S4. I really need the AWD capability and the more power that it offers. I was wondering if anyone has any information about reliability, pricing, things to avoid, and any other important information that you feel is relevant about the vehicle. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just to make sure that you did not mis-post this under the wrong make of vehicle, you do realize this is a Mercedes board, right?

i know that there are alot of guys that own/have owned S4's, but you might be better served posting that question in an Audi Board...or maybe I'm crazy
Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Nissan Altima SE-R
Haha, yeah I know this is a mercedes forum, but I've seen a few audi guys posting here and I like this community because they always seem to provide helpful insight while the audi forums have not even responded lol. Figured I would try my luck out here, even if it wasnt driving impressions but just general impressions of the car.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
go to audizine.com.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 AM

C32 AMG
Having driven one the same day as my C32... I really think that the s4 is weak and thats 100precent why I bought my C instead of the Audi that I "thought" i wanted. If you want people to give you "good" input about the car, do as stated and check out audi forums; I assure you that people here will just give you negs.

I am sure you will hear this over and over, but Make sure to test drive everything before you buy your car. After you make the purchase, you will regret not looking at something and having a "one night stand" with a vehicle.

GL on your next purchase.

-Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
I had a 2001 S4 before the 2003 C32.

The S4 was a great car. Interior is very nice. Seat heaters work better than the Mercedes. They handle very nice. I like the fit and finish better than the Mercedes.

The Audi is not known for reliability.

The gas mileage is poor. They are very heavy.

The old B5 S4 Audi had a very bad throttle delay, through a sprintbooster may fix that.

The audio system is not very good, though the Mercedes audio is not too good either.

You see if you can rent an Audi for a week to see, if you really like it.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I'll chime in

I would stick with a late model '04 S4 if possible or go for an '05. The earlier '04s had some trouble with the engine, which resulted in a few engines replaced for owners. Audi use to have more problems than now. They have improved on reliability quite a bit in '04 and on.

Test drive it and see how you like it. We could give you all the opinions on why or why you shouldn't get the S4. It is up to you as you'll be paying for it and living with it.

That said, I like the S4. The V8 and the exhaust note is enough to sell me on it. Living in Boston, AWD is a plus and the 6-speed gearbox. I haven't driven a '04-'05 B6 S4 but I have driven a '08 B7 S4. Fit and finish is top notch, interior is one of the best out there, etc. Gas mileage is a bit low, but it is a V8 and heavy car plus AWD. I feel the 4.2 V8 puts out enough power, 340hp.

Get out there and test drive a few!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
B6 S4 is a great car. It's on the heavy side, but quattro is great for winter at where you live. As far as reliability you'll probably want to check audizine for more info. as long as you don't ask them about the "other" brands you also consider they should give you plenty of helpful information.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
How does the B5 compare to the B6 in terms of handling and all around performance?

I drove my buddy's B5 S4 with ecu and exhaust and the thing moved. Very stable at 120mph and very confidence-inspiring. My car definitely didn't feel any faster.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
hope this can help...

I drove more than a few b6 s4's at dealers around town around the same time i purchased my c55. The car looks great inside and out. Its a very nice car but is not in the same league as a c55 or m3 as far as performance goes in optimal conditions. The car is alot slower than a c55 or m3. That sad, its still pretty quick. I think the prices on them are insane. close to two years ago when i was looking for a c55/m3/s4, all 3 of the dealers i went to had over 5 s4's in stock and one even had a whopping 12 brand new untitled s4's on the lot. I think they cost way too much for the performance they offer. Also there fuel economy is pretty bad. I get about 16 city and 22 highway in my c55. I think you should take a look at the new 335xi's if you really need 4 wheel drive
Old 12-13-2007, 01:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
How does the B5 compare to the B6 in terms of handling and all around performance?

I drove my buddy's B5 S4 with ecu and exhaust and the thing moved. Very stable at 120mph and very confidence-inspiring. My car definitely didn't feel any faster.
in un-modded form the B6 trumps the B5 in performance because it had more power and probably handling. I said probably because I have not drove a B6. The B5 felt fairly nimble and quick when I drove my friend's car.

in modded form the B5's 2.7bi-turbo is by far more tuner friendly.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
i was thinking about trading in my C32 for a 2004 S4 but i noticed that the car isn't as wide as i thought... the trunk was really narrow... but it was a nice ride... i still might do that... but i have to see what the Wife says first.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM

2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
I drive a C32 and have owned a B6 S4.

The Audi is superior to the Benz in many aspects. Quality of materials, fit and finish, handling, and smoothness. In terms of power, you can extract another 20, maybe 30 hp out of the v8 with mods. The C32 is very mod friendly but the mods are typically more expensive than those on an Audi.

It's true, Audi had to replace a few bad engines, but overall the car was well built. In fact the 4.2 liter engine was voted as one of the 10 best engines in the world. The engine sounds amazing and has plenty of torque in its power band. The C32 engine sounds good for a 6 cylinder, especially with the supercharger whine. It will sound even better with the resonator removed.

The B6 is a pig and it sucks gas like a jet. The C32 fuel economy is nothing to brag about either. In fact, I got better fuel economy in my 4000lb S4 than I do in the C. In terms of resale, the C holds value like a Pontiac Aztec. The S4 fares slightly better in the resale arena.

The handling in the Benz is far from being world class. The quality of materials is driven more by Chrysler economics than Mercedes aesthetics. It will need at least two weeks of vacation and $2000 every year to go to the dealer. In spite of all this, I'm still happy with the baby benz. It is more thrilling to drive than the overly composed Audi.

The only way to tell which one is right for you is to drive both cars. Good luck.