C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Two Items for a New Year: Racing Batteries and Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Two Items for a New Year: Racing Batteries and Oil

Well we got down to 21 degrees here, all day, and it killed my Odyssey racing battery. It had been starting fine in 30 to 32 degree weather so I held out hope. But today it was toast so I plopped my stocker back in for the duration of the Winter. Man I hate feeling the heavy nose plowing and will have that little 15 pounder back in as soon as it warms up. The car is an under-steering pig (not really) with the 54 pound stocker in there!

And I have noticed a small oil leak coming from under one of the coil packs on the passenger side bank. It's not bad, just a drip now and then, but it hits the exhaust manifold and stinks inside when the heater is on. It usually stinks after it warms up but then stops. I noticed this after I changed the oil at 10K. I went with Mobil One 0-40, is that too light? Could that be the reason? I used a good 'ole Hangst cotton filter.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
Well we got down to 21 degrees here, all day, and it killed my Odyssey racing battery. It had been starting fine in 30 to 32 degree weather so I held out hope. But today it was toast so I plopped my stocker back in for the duration of the Winter. Man I hate feeling the heavy nose plowing and will have that little 15 pounder back in as soon as it warms up. The car is an under-steering pig (not really) with the 54 pound stocker in there!

And I have noticed a small oil leak coming from under one of the coil packs on the passenger side bank. It's not bad, just a drip now and then, but it hits the exhaust manifold and stinks inside when the heater is on. It usually stinks after it warms up but then stops. I noticed this after I changed the oil at 10K. I went with Mobil One 0-40, is that too light? Could that be the reason? I used a good 'ole Hangst cotton filter.

When I was pondering batteries I had this one in mind also but felt the cold weather here would make it a bad choice so I bought tthe Optima Redtop instead and it 20lbs lighter then stock....
Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
Hey there Drop-a-Daimler:

Okay first thing first, 0-40 mobil one is GREAT for those COLD morning starts. I too live in a VERY cold climate, ie PA and have ALWAYS used it for the cold months. IF, and I do say IF, you race on her HARD, autox or road course, I would changed it to the thicker oil, 10-40 or even 20-50 in the summer. Keep in mind, one or two passes at the drag strip WILL NOT generate that much heat, ie 13 seconds of fun vs 30 minutes of tortue on the track.
ALL engines make more power with thinner oil, and it is easier on start ups. Now before I get beat up on this one, syntetic oils are VERY different from conventional oils in there ratings. A dyno would be VERY hard pressed to see ANY differnt from a syntetic 0-40 to a 20-50. It would see the difference with a convential oil 0-40 to 20-50. The thicker oils simply protect better at HIGHER operating temperatures, which you will NEVER see in a daily driver.

Oh yeah, your slight leak should not change from a simple vesciosity change. You propbaly have a bad valve cover gasket and ANY synetitic will find its way there simply because they can pass through easier than a convential oil of differnt viscosities.

See yeah

PS: My ex crew chief worked at the GULF research center here in Pittsburgh dealing with engine oils and additives and I could give you reams of paperwork on oil here, just don't want to get too complicated or write a story.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 01-04-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
... IF, and I do say IF, you race on her HARD, autox or road course, I would changed it to the thicker oil, 10-40 or even 20-50 in the summer...
Alright, this sounds like great advice. Thanks. Last week I went around an re-torqued all the valve cover/cam cover bolts just in case but that did not have any noticeable effect. So I guess I'm gonna take her in to the stealership. I think I could change out the gaskets but it's under warranty until 2011 (assuming this is covered, it better be) so I might as well let the pros do it.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM

GL 320 CDI 2007
Do you know where is located Tele Aid box /including two units - for Cellular conection and GPS conection/ on GL 2007 ?