C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Steering Problems????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Question Steering Problems????

Hello people, my wife's C32 is having some issues with the Steering. The steering is hard from a stand-still. I verified the power steering fluid. It was a little low so I topped it off. It didn't help. Compared to our Honda Accord, the steering is very hard. I guess what i'm trying to ask is....do you guys have any idea what it could be? We bought this car about 6 months ago and I don't recall the steering be so stiff. Do these C32s tend to have issue with the power steering? Any ideas????? Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
First off, Congrats on the C32! I hope all it's current/old bugs have been fixed. My question to you would be, do you have larger than stock wheels? It has been known, that the old design of the rack and pinion, has been more difficult to maneuver heavier/larger wheels at low speeds. The new speed sensitive rack and pinion works much, much better with larger/heavier wheels.

Last edited by calimax; 01-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by calimax
..... My question to you would be, do you have larger than stock wheels? It has been known, that the old deign of the rack and pinion, has been more difficult to maneuver heavier/larger wheels at low speeds. The new speed sensitive rack and pinion works much, much better with larger/heavier wheels.
Sounds about right - I've driven a bunch of later model W203 (as loaners) and an accord and it is much 'easier' to steer these cars from rest (and driving slowly).
As soon as I got back into my car (after 3 weeks in a loaner C230), the steering seemed like there was no power to it. I turned back around and brought my car back in and the SA got a tech out to check it out. The tech said that the steering systems are designed differently and my car is normal.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Well thanks for the replies guys, the currect wheels are stock. From a total stop I have to use both hands to make a turn in either direction, left or right. It's my first AMG car so I was assuming it was normal, but I wanted to get some feed back from other owners.