New Diamond Black C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by JToups386
My bet would be they did their testing in completely different atmospheric conditions. The C55 is advertised at 13.2 @ 107.3 in the 1/4 mile.
Unfortunately they did not do a true "apples to apples" comparison. However, I must say whoever drove the car to a 13.95 must've either only ran it at 1/2 throttle, or they were dragging a boat anchor behind them. There's really no excuse for a .75 difference in the two ET's, even if the outside temp was considerably higher. Typical variance between winter and summer runs will range between .20 to .40, but certainly not .75.
Here's the Motor Trend article on the C55.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html
Actually, temperature, humidity, and other weather conditions affect the DA (density altitude), which affect the runs greatly. At Fontana, we ran the same cars, same drivers, same time of day, same track of course, but two different DA: one was 1450 ft while the other was 3200 ft. The E/CLS63 dropped from 13.2 seconds to 12.3 seconds in the lower DA environment. That is almost a 1 second difference in ET because of DA. At Palmdale, even though the track is at higher elevation, DA was even much higher, and these cars were averaging 14.2 seconds while C6 Z06s were averaging 13.7 seconds . Weather conditions affect the DA, which can affect the times immensely. We have experimented with this so much, and I think most of the timeslips are still posted in the E55 section of the forum.

Please note, I'm not saying one car is definately faster than the other, I'm simply saying their performance is very close to each other, and the race will likely be determined by the driver. I actually think the C55 has a slight edge due to the better top-end pull.

Wawy, sorry for the side-track, congrats on the car; Diamond Black is one of my favorite colors........

Pictures please.........
Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by wawy
Thanks everyone for the congrats. As far as the ease of modding the C55 vs the C32 - believe me, after looking at prices for V8 headers, the difference is becoming painfully obvious!
One wonders how they could charge so much when Sponsors like LET sells them for the C32 for like 1k....(and people still complain they are too much) cause they compare them to American V6 and V8. Its MB AMG and vendors know they can charge more thinking we are still willing to pay...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Actually, temperature, humidity, and other weather conditions affect the DA (density altitude), which affect the runs greatly. At Fontana, we ran the same cars, same drivers, same time of day, same track of course, but two different DA: one was 1450 ft while the other was 3200 ft. The E/CLS63 dropped from 13.2 seconds to 12.3 seconds in the lower DA environment. That is almost a 1 second difference in ET because of DA. At Palmdale, even though the track is at higher elevation, DA was even much higher, and these cars were averaging 14.2 seconds while C6 Z06s were averaging 13.7 seconds . Weather conditions affect the DA, which can affect the times immensely. We have experimented with this so much, and I think most of the timeslips are still posted in the E55 section of the forum.

Please note, I'm not saying one car is definately faster than the other, I'm simply saying their performance is very close to each other, and the race will likely be determined by the driver. I actually think the C55 has a slight edge due to the better top-end pull.

Wawy, sorry for the side-track, congrats on the car; Diamond Black is one of my favorite colors........

Pictures please.........

You are absolutely correct about "DA". I should've stated that more clearly in my response. I was simply assuming they were testing at the same track, just possibly at different times of the year therefore different weather elements.
Believe me, I understand about loss of horsepower at altitude. When I drove my Z28 from Houston to Aspen, CO one year, it went from feeling fast and fun to feeling like it was choking for air and dragging an anchor. The average hp loss equates to 3% per 1000 ft, therefore when I reached the 8000 ft altitude of Aspen I was down about 24% hp. It's an art to get a car to run well at altitude per all the air/fuel ratio adjustments necessary to compensate.
Anyway, thanks for adding the additional technical clarification. You are correct sir!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Here's a quick pic for now. It's in our underground parking so it's not the greatest. I've parked it for the winter and will take better ones when I bring it out in the Spring/Summer...
Attached Thumbnails New Diamond Black C55-car-004.jpg