C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Gasoline Odor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Gasoline Odor?

When I drive the car in this cold IL weather now, you can really smell gasoline inside the cockpit. It's stronger when the car is first started but it's there even after the car warms up. I've scrutinized the car, both while running and turned off, and I can find no gasoline leaks but the odor seems to be coming from somewhere in the driver's side of the engine compartment -- though it's difficult to pinpoint exactly where.

It's going in to the dealer tomorrow morning to be checked out but I figured I'd solicit the Board to see if anyone else has had this happen. Thanks guys.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM

C32
Originally Posted by Slater126
When I drive the car in this cold IL weather now, you can really smell gasoline inside the cockpit. It's stronger when the car is first started but it's there even after the car warms up. I've scrutinized the car, both while running and turned off, and I can find no gasoline leaks but the odor seems to be coming from somewhere in the driver's side of the engine compartment -- though it's difficult to pinpoint exactly where.

It's going in to the dealer tomorrow morning to be checked out but I figured I'd solicit the Board to see if anyone else has had this happen. Thanks guys.
Had the same problem a couple of months ago, eventually found out it was on the carpet. Prob stepped on spilt gasoline at the station. Pls have the fuel lines and injectors checked.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by cnchung
Had the same problem a couple of months ago, eventually found out it was on the carpet. Prob stepped on spilt gasoline at the station. Pls have the fuel lines and injectors checked.
Of all things, the dealer says it's the fuel filter. Per the dealer, it is clogged to the point where fuel is being pushed back into the charcoal cannister or something along those lines. I don't know, I've never heard of anything like this before -- would the car even run if the filter was that clogged? Anyway, the filter's due to be changed anyway so I told them to just replace it (too damn cold to crawl under it myself). I'll let you guys know if this works. Can't say I'm 100% confident but stranger things have happened I guess.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM

E55 AMG, C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Slater126
Of all things, the dealer says it's the fuel filter. Per the dealer, it is clogged to the point where fuel is being pushed back into the charcoal cannister or something along those lines. I don't know, I've never heard of anything like this before -- would the car even run if the filter was that clogged? Anyway, the filter's due to be changed anyway so I told them to just replace it (too damn cold to crawl under it myself). I'll let you guys know if this works. Can't say I'm 100% confident but stranger things have happened I guess.
Hi Slater:

I have the same problem. When I start it up in the morning and turn on the air conditioner, there is the odor for like 5 minutes, and then it's gone. Does not happen on a warm start or sometime when it is warm outside.

Did the fuel filter change fix the problem? Also, is the fuel filter covered under warranty, and if not any idea as to would you be paying for that?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by archangel100
Hi Slater:

I have the same problem. When I start it up in the morning and turn on the air conditioner, there is the odor for like 5 minutes, and then it's gone. Does not happen on a warm start or sometime when it is warm outside.

Did the fuel filter change fix the problem? Also, is the fuel filter covered under warranty, and if not any idea as to would you be paying for that?

Thanks.
Seems like it may be cured but it's the first day back. I could smell a little gasoline but that could be left over from before. I'll give it a few days and post whether it worked or not.

The filter is considered a maintenance item that's supposed to be replaced at 45k miles. So no, it's not covered under warranty. It's about $400 for the dealer to do it. I haven't looked at a shop manual for this car but I imagine it's a DYI job in good weather, so you could do it for a lot less than that if you're mechanically inclined.

Unfortunately for me, this happened in the middle of winter, and I wanted to get it done ASAP, so I had to pony up. I wasn't going to mess around with raw fuel vapors swirling around in the engine bay if you know what I'm saying.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:08 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Well I'll be dipped in you-know-what, this appears to have worked. I've never heard of a fuel filter being so clogged that it caused a fuel back-up into anything. Guess you learn something new every day. Damn gas nowadays. Car of course feels a bit more sprightly.

I've also ordered a set of Green Filters and will put 'em in as soon as the weather breaks. Can't wait to see what the old air filters look like!