C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Disappointing Track Results - C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
I seen it mentioned in several threads but me being a newbie at drag racing I am lost...why does everyone put so much stock in the 60'? I always thought if you take off right with no spin its the best all around.
Typically the race can be won in the first 60' (all things being relatively equal). It's a crucial area, in that the first 60' is where you really get the vehicle moving. In most cases, if you can drop your 60' time by 1/10, it's worth a approximately 1.5/10 on the total elapsed time. That's not an absolute, but it typically works out that way. However, in my recent results it did not.

Now, this theory would not apply if you've got a 12 second car running against a 10 second car, whereas the 12 second car runs a 1.70 60', and the 10 second car spins with a 1.9 60', but can easily make up for the difference through the mid range and top end pull of the run. Again, it's all relative.

60' times are an excellent gauge though for how good a run can be. Getting "out of the hole" is critical in a drag race. Consider a top fuel dragster, who is already running 100 mph in the first 60', and then running 285 mph by the 1/8, and then finishing the 1/4 run at 325 mph. Think about him going from 0-285 mph in the first half of the track, and only picking up an additional 40 mph over the second half of the track. A key portion of that was all achieved in the first 60'.

I'm not sure why it was chosen to be marked at 60', instead of 50' or 75', etc, but that's simply the marker that has always been used to measure a very crucial part of the overall run. Obviously if you don't have traction, ie spinning off the line, your 60' time will suffer tremendously, and your overall ET will suffer. The only variation is that if you spin through the 60' marker, your overall mph will typically register higher assuming your car pulls up top. I'd prefer a better ET, therefore I'll accept a little lower mph assuming I'm not spinning.

I hope I didn't add to your confusion. It makes sense in my head...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
I seen it mentioned in several threads but me being a newbie at drag racing I am lost...why does everyone put so much stock in the 60'? I always thought if you take off right with no spin its the best all around.
Yeah, you can inch forward at snails pace and you will never have wheelspin either. But obviously your 1/4 mile time will be embarrassing. Thus, it is a balancing act.

Since our cars are automatic, after the first 75 ft or so you just mash the gas. So there's not much debate as to what to do there?

The launch is the key.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 P30 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JToups386
I went to Houston Raceway Park yesterday to verify the published numbers on the C55. I was optimistic, as the car feels relatively quick. The results however were very disappointing. Mine is a pig compared to what I assumed it should run!

Car weighed 3920 lbs w/ me in it, (and approx 75 lbs in truck items), etc.
Temps were 72* at start and 67* by end of night.
Barometric pressure was 29 inches. HRP is at sea level.

1st run = 2.22 60', 8.93 @ 82.22 mph 1/8, 13.68 @ 104.01 mph 1/4.
ESC in "off" position, yet it still kicked in enough to kill the run.

2nd run = 2.22 60', 8.94 @ 82.26 mph 1/8, 13.67 @ 104.65 mph 1/4.
ESC in "off" position, yet it still kicked in enough to kill the run.

3rd run = 2.08 60', 8.74 @ 82.58 mph 1/8, 13.47 @ 104.19 mph 1/4.
Put car in Dyno mode, and manually shifted it myself.

The car felt like it was being held back by something. I honestly expected 107+ in the mph. I've gotta' figure this out, as these results do not sit well with me. I realize part of my disappointment stems from going from a mid-11 second daily driver to a mid-13 second driver, but I honestly expected to get much lower results

I remember reading something about bad catalytic converters with a MB recall or TSB on a certain range of the C55's, and I'm wondering if I might have some restrictive clogging there. Anyone know about this?
Those 60fts don't look bad for how bad HRP is prepped now-a-days.

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Looking at your sig I'd like to say that I NEARLY bought a Regal/Grand National with a T-70 turbo in Channel View.

The owner and I had a "falling out" when I made him my offer on the car. We lost touch after that.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM

C55
ahhh my car is waiting for me....
Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by JToups386
Yes, yes, yes, I'm quite aware of "the details". I've been an avid drag racer since 1991, and back in the day of Westheimer gatherings, I had quite a bit of "street cred" per my countless nights of street racing, before the ricer crowd killed it for everybody. I've also spent countless time at the track, with many event wins. So, I fully acknowledge the problem w/ the extra weight in the trunk, but as I stated previously --- I wasn't willing to allow some schmuck to walk off w/ my tools and stuff, per us not having a secure pit area this time.
Now, regarding the mismatched rear tires, that's irrelavent since I was able to get a 2.0 60' out of them. You really cannot expect much better than that from any radial tire aside from a drag radial, which these are not. The lousy 2.22 60' times I had on my first two runs were per allowing the car to think for itself and engage the ESC even with it being in the "off" position. Once I switched it to "dyno mode", and manually shifted it myself, the 60' time dropped by 2 tenths, which typically would equate to a drop of 3 tenths in overall 1/4 times, but this time it only worked out to an even .20 drop for whatever reason.

As for trying to match a magazine time, well, "yes" I had hoped to at least get close to the Motor Trend published times. My past dealings w/ magazine times is that I've always matched or beaten them in various GM vehicles I've owned, ie my Grand National(s), and my Z28. I've grown accustomed to having vehicles that were underrated by the OE MFR, as opposed to ones that appear to be accurately stated, ie my C55.

I'm not complaining about it. I was just a little disappointed because I tend to over achieve w/ track results, and this time I did not. However, it simply gives me something to shoot for by making some improvements, as well as taking care of the givens such as weight. Next time I'll get to the track in time to claim an upfront secure pit spot, therefore emptying all "dead weight" out of the trunk.

I'll also probably put some fresh plugs in it, as I don't like having 53k miles on any set of plugs, regardless of what the factory says they're good for. Personally, I'll take a good copper plug over any "long lasting" platinum plug any day, as I know a copper plug has a better burn rate overall, but it simply won't have it for as long of a timeframe, ie 100k miles. And I'll also change my oil before the next track trip, as I don't agree w/ MB's once a year plan, or 10k+ mile plan for oil changes.

So, to summarize, I agree I had some "rookie mistakes" per the weight issues, but I still expected a little more. Maybe I've just grown a bit greedy as time has gone on, and come to expect more, with less... Either way it's nothing we can't overcome in the future, and I look forward to posting some better times thereof.
Seems from all your posts that you would be better off in a GM vehicle. GM has made some great strides with their recent fleet of performance cars - Camaro, Corvette - so why not dump the C55 and get one of those? I think they are making high output versions of the Camaro with the ZR1 motor in it.

For the longest time, I would never even look at a GM vehicle due to the appalling quality of the interior. No matter how fast they go, I can't stand the lego bricks. But I hear the new Buicks are pretty nice on the inside too.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Say hello to 2008!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Cool thread, I beat you all with a 27 second quarter mile.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Wow westheimer racing back in 91 brings back memories... as does Miami Subs

I used to think I was something back then in a warmed up fox mustang.

Have you run your car again.?? (reviving this OLD post)>