Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by c32used
I got my copy today...
in the article i made an amazing "4hp" from pulley kit, ecu, and intake.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by None
I am a forced induction guy always have been but you can do some simple mods to the C55 and exploit the advantages of the NA motor. Throw an ecu in for high octane fuel, Evo pullies, filters, headers, a snow meth inj kit and nitrous. You will be pleanty happy with the power have no heat soak issues tons of tq and it will drive almost like stock untill you want to have fun. Your out just under 5 grand and have the advantages of the newer upgrades and trust me it will be deadly fast
I guess it's all relative... Personally, I'd never consider $5k as being "simple mods", per the cost. Headers for the C55 are $3k+, and they offer a very nominal gain. Certainly not worth the money.

I do agree, a little nitrous on the C55 would make it very formidable, however you then have to deal with all the idiosyncrasies that go with it, for example; constantly refilling your nitrous bottle at $40+, and then having to make sure it's turned on when you want to go fast, which typically means getting out and going into the trunk to open the bottle, etc, etc.
Personally I prefer to have hp on tap whenever you want it, instead of having to say "I can't race because I'm out of nitrous...", or "I have to stop and open my bottle first..."
If you're only running it at the track, then it's not as big of a deal since you're there to race. However if you're on the street, well then it's much less practical, unless you always go out in "hunting mode"...

Bottom line with the C55 is we have a very nice, relatively fast car from the factory that can be made to be a little more ferocious with a few minor mods, but if you really want it to be a contender, you'll need to spend an exhorbinant amount of money to achieve it, and at that point you'd be better off just buying something that's mod friendly, or already much faster from the factory.

My goal will be to wait for the C63 to drop in price, as suggested by others. I paid $32k for my $60k C55 after it was only 3 years old, and as is the case with all MB's, the C63 will likely follow the same path in price reductions after 3 years. Think about that 451hp beast being offered at $35k-ish! Score!!!

Just my .02...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by None
I am a forced induction guy always have been but you can do some simple mods to the C55 and exploit the advantages of the NA motor. Throw an ecu in for high octane fuel, Evo pullies, filters, headers, a snow meth inj kit and nitrous. You will be pleanty happy with the power have no heat soak issues tons of tq and it will drive almost like stock untill you want to have fun. Your out just under 5 grand and have the advantages of the newer upgrades and trust me it will be deadly fast
If I may request in the newbie search I was asked to input mods for C55 but my lack of knowledge of the C55 puts me at a disadvantage so can you post what mods atnd price that can wake up that beast?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Jaguar STR
[QUOTE=JToups386;2786931]I guess it's all relative... Personally, I'd never consider $5k as being "simple mods", per the cost. Headers for the C55 are $3k+, and they offer a very nominal gain. Certainly not worth the money.

I do agree, a little nitrous on the C55 would make it very formidable, however you then have to deal with all the idiosyncrasies that go with it, for example; constantly refilling your nitrous bottle at $40+, and then having to make sure it's turned on when you want to go fast, which typically means getting out and going into the trunk to open the bottle, etc, etc.
Personally I prefer to have hp on tap whenever you want it, instead of having to say "I can't race because I'm out of nitrous...", or "I have to stop and open my bottle first..."
If you're only running it at the track, then it's not as big of a deal since you're there to race. However if you're on the street, well then it's much less practical, unless you always go out in "hunting mode"...[\QUOTE]

Your right it is all relitive to me simple mods are bolt on, and I had all the mods I listed and more on a leased car that I sold but I was prepared to return to stock if need be. To me 5k for the gains you get are worth it. I fullly agree its not the most mod freindly car by far but I have never owned a stock car and I race for a living so to bolt on a few parts and some wiring is not a big deal but as you said its all relitive I can see were to some people that would be to much to me its a mild street car.

As for the nitrious remote bottle opners and a thermo bottle wrap solves most problems and a standard ten pound bottle will get about seven hits on a good stacked fill so unless your squeze happy your rarly out. Heck I love to run and a 15# bottle will last months in a Benz, the supra was a bit diffrent . Now I agree its not for everyone its all in how serious you are to mod.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM

Jaguar STR
Originally Posted by c32used
If I may request in the newbie search I was asked to input mods for C55 but my lack of knowledge of the C55 puts me at a disadvantage so can you post what mods atnd price that can wake up that beast?
I would be happy to. I will do it Mon when I am around a computer with a key pad and not on my handheld. I will look and see if I can find my old dyno sheets as well.