C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

air pump and ac condensor noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air pump and ac condensor noise

I know a lot of you had a discussion about this air pump that's there for the smog purpose but im still not sure if that is the problem that im having....
I have this noise coming from driver side inside the car at around 3500 rpm but only when the AC is on. It has this whistling sound to it. And also the AC unit has a hissing sound that comes and goes. does anyone have this problem? Is that the same as that air pump?
Old 12-06-2002, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes yes yes!!!!! Right on!!!

Is the noise coming from the driver side when the AC is on sound like a small motor is running somewhere? You can hear that noise even if you use the EC mode.

The hissing sound will go away if you turn on the front defroster for a while but will come back a few minutes later!!!

I dont think this is Air Pump related though!
Old 12-06-2002, 08:58 AM
JJM

I had the same problem on my 2002. My 2003 doesn't have that issue (yet - fingers crossed). The dealer fixed it on my 2002 by replacing the expansion valve I think. The hissing sound was so annoying you could hear it over the cd. It took me a long time to get them to admit to the problem and a factory tech had to inspect the car to suggest the solution. The hissing sound was not completely eliminated but was vastly reduced in volume.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:21 PM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hissing

The hissing you hear will be the precursor of your AC cooling going out entirely. Anyway that is what mine did.

1st trip to the dealer - denial. The car was "OK" and the problem was me
2nd trip to the dealer, with a Starbucks temp gauge in hand (1 day later). I showed the Service manager that the air out of the AC vents on max cool was 80 degrees. He said gee that isn't right and put a "better tech" on it. New expansion valve was one of the many things they fixed.

Now realize that my car was only really bad on VERY hot days, on cooler days the AC would appear to be able to "handle" the problem and put out semi-cool air. Once it was fixed properly I can freeze people out of the car anyday, never could do that before.

I originally described it as a "tinkling or jingle-noise" the dealer preferred the "hiss" description. Hiss is probably better. Harris is right, EC on or off it can sometimes be heard. Not real loud but very easily noticeable.

If you have the noise, I will bet that your AC isn't as good as it can be.

BTW the AIR PUMP these guys are referring to is the smog pump, not AC related.

Last edited by rrf; 12-06-2002 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:51 PM

05 CLK55
Question

A useful search brought me to this thread. I know it is a old thread, but I am experiencing the same problem as mentioned above, so I decided to resurrect this thread.

When AC is ON, there is this hissing sound coming from the front of the car, and there is a very loud humming noise from the driver side door, the sound is almost like a small motor running on its own.

Any of you guys had this problem? Please share. Thanks in advance!