Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
A few Akebono Euro brake pad replacement questions

Hey!

Brake lining wear warning came on a couple of weeks ago. Based on all of your recs, I ordered the Akebono Euros. Received them yesterday and put them on all four corners today. Fairly simple, for a first time task (on this car, at least!) In any case, I was left with a few questions:

1. It looks like Auto Parts Warehouse sent me the wrong wear sensors. The plug end of the ones they sent me only has one large female receptacle. The C32 has a two prong male connection. Anyone else run into this?

2. As far as the install goes, was I supposed to use any of the thin steel plates that sat between the stock pads and the calipers? I think they are called noise suppressors, or something like that. I noticed that the front Akebonos seem to have their own steel plates attached to the metal part of the pad. However, the rear Akebonos do not seem to come with any steel plates. My choice was to put the old stock plates on the rear Akebonos but not on the front Akebonos. What do you think?

3. I was surprised to see that my rear pads still had about 2/3 of their life left to them (at 56K miles). I was also surprised to see how small the rear pads are compared to the fronts.

4. Did anyone else who has done a C32 brake pad change feel a little queasy about the whole "pin system" which holds the C32 pads in place? It sure seems a little "iffy" to me!

5. Brakes seem a little squishy, but hopefully this will self-cure with time.

Thanks for any comments!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
tagging along, mine just came in the mail too.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
1. yes the wrong wear sensors are provided. i think i remember reading they are the ones for the crossfire. i just used the original ones and tied them back.

2. the pads themselves had a black plate on them already. you were supposed to reuse the metal backing plates off your stock assembly applying the anti squeal paste inbetween them.

3. yea i was surprised to but most of the brake bias is for the front anyways.

4. the pins are going anywhere unless you did not reinstall them correctly and all the way in.

5. did you do the bed in process found in the other threads? if you did and still hae squishyness you probably need to have your brake fluid flushed.