C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

camber bolts in rear ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
camber bolts in rear ?

I was in an RS4 the other day and the guy floored it around a roundabout, and it just sticked like glue going around the corner. I know the RS4 is 4WD, but the C32 would have just smoked up the tyres and gone sideways like it had 2 bars of soap under the rear wheels.

I am pretty sick of having to baby the car around and not being able to floor the accelerator without the tyres going up in major smoke, even in a striaght line ....... and the price of getting an LSD shipped to Aus, and then fitted would probably run into something like 5K, which is crazy.

The tyres still have like 60 % tread on them, so they are not bald. As it is lowered, but not majorly, I was wondering if decreasing the rear camber would make a major difference ?

There has to be something that can be done so I can enjoy the car more
Old 05-27-2008, 01:56 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
you mean you want more camber (as in negative camber)? I wouldn't recommend that. It'll only make your rear tire wear out on the inside even more.

to improve the handling from your mod list you can add sway bars. going from stock C32 bars to Eibach sway bars it did help dramatically. but make no mistake, the RWD will never glue down like the AWD.

better tires also help. what tire are you using right now?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by FrankW
you mean you want more camber (as in negative camber)? I wouldn't recommend that. It'll only make your rear tire wear out on the inside even more.

to improve the handling from your mod list you can add sway bars. going from stock C32 bars to Eibach sway bars it did help dramatically. but make no mistake, the RWD will never glue down like the AWD.

better tires also help. what tire are you using right now?
I agree 1000% FrankW

Camber bolts are for FINE tuning, what you are looking at is a leap ahead in handleing. Try the bigger bars first, then maybe springs, or PS9.

Above ALL else, TIRES will change your cars handleing the MOST, period. Get some good glue like Bridgestone 050 PP's, Goodyear GS-D3's, etc. Then think about the other options you have.

See yeah
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM

C32
its not handling I am trying to fix .... I am super happy with the way it handles with the PSS9s, I think with the rear tyres sticking how they should, my C32 on PSS9s would have handled as well as the RS4 ....... it is completely a traction issue.

Anotyher example, I was driving home in 10 degree weather a few nights ago, so I could feel the difference in HP due to the cold weather. In second gear, wow .... only problem was, I couldnt use any of it in first without smoking the tyres completely......... it is totally a traction issue

I was looking to use the camber bolts in reverse to decrease negative camber.... hence get more tyre patch on the road.. Any ways to increase traction apart from buying an LSD would get greatly appreciated ?

Tyres are 265 Falken 451, 60% tread left.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by steve_bris
I was looking to use the camber bolts in reverse to decrease negative camber.... hence get more tyre patch on the road.. Any ways to increase traction apart from buying an LSD would get greatly appreciated ?

Tyres are 265 Falken 451, 60% tread left.
In a word NO. For ultimate rear grip the LSD IS the only way to go.

See yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 05-28-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 AM

C32
surely as the suspension compresses, the negative camber increases, not decreases .... and I am not talking about anything extreme ... just a slight adjustment with the bolts to take it back from say 2 degrees negative, to 1.5 degrees negative (no idea what it is at the moment, the 2 is an indicative figure)

Can they be used in the rear, and in reverse ?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by steve_bris
surely as the suspension compresses, the negative camber increases, not decreases .... and I am not talking about anything extreme ... just a slight adjustment with the bolts to take it back from say 2 degrees negative, to 1.5 degrees negative (no idea what it is at the moment, the 2 is an indicative figure)

Can they be used in the rear, and in reverse ?
Sorry me bad, on our cars, with a multi link rear, you are correct that we GAIN negative camber as the suspesion compresses. Sorry still thinking Mustangs on another board. Anyway, take a gander at this:

"Camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design; in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it places the tire at a more optimal angle to the road, transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire, rather than through a shear force across it. Another reason for negative camber is that a rubber tire tends to roll on itself while cornering. If the tire had zero camber, the inside edge of the contact patch would begin to lift off of the ground, thereby reducing the area of the contact patch. By applying negative camber, this effect is reduced, thereby maximizing the contact patch area. Note that this is only true for the outside tire during the turn; the inside tire would benefit most from positive camber."

I can tell you from a road racing perspective, there is NOTHING to gain by DECREASING the rear negative camber. If anything, you want to INCREASE it my frined. I have said it before, that I would KILL to have 1.5-2.0 degrees negative camber in the front. Now I will get it as another memeber has taught me a little trick

Oh well, sorry for the mis information, see yeah