what kind of offer should i make to Renntech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by racetested
One last thing before I shut up on this subject.

Most people don't realize the cost in equipment to make parts and this has to tally in. I gained understanding and respect working with quality machine shops and seeing how much they have invested in tools alone not to mention experience.

A person may look at a small part and be like "$100 for this piece of metal" and not think about the $100K+ the machine shop has invested in one lathe, mill, and CNC machine that has to be paid for someway.

I don't know Renntech much beyond their name but maybe they have a $50k engine dyno to develop those headers or maybe they just are way overpriced.

I'm just saying there is much more than just the material cost and small labor of a part to consider.

Now people want to cut corners and find a part cheap and think they deserve to. That's fine but what if those "overpriced" companies stopped doing proper R&D and the knock off companies have no reputable part to copy anymore. Now were back to square one *****ing we have no quality parts to buy.
WAIT a minute here racetested:

First of all I agree that to make one, it might cost 20,000, two 10,000, etc, etc. But don't try to tell us that they needed to buy a NEW lathe, mill and CNC machine for headers. THEY are not required, period. A jig, test car, tubing bender, mig/tig okay, and a plasma cutter I will go along with.

Secondly, NO company out there uses a chassie dyno to make headers, they all make/sell what fits. NOBODY sells headers that were individualy tested and changed per dynoed HP gains/losses. Thats simply ridiculous to assume that that much RD goes into any of them. Look at Hooker, Headman, JBA, Eldebrock to name a few and NONE of them were DYNO built.

It is simply a supply and demand issue, whith a TON of mark up. Unless they are made of rare earth, which they are not, they just don't cost that much to make. Heck, look around these boards and you will see horor stories of crack welds, poor fitment, etc from these so called $50,000 R/D headers.

Oh well sorry to rant, but the real world is they, like other companies, are simply hoseing us becuase we are Mercedes.

See yeah

PS: Thank GOD for LET, VRP and Code 3 for making real world pieces at real world pricing

Last edited by MRAMG1; 06-04-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
WAIT a minute here racetested:

First of all I agree that to make one, it might cost 20,000, two 10,000, etc, etc. But don't try to tell us that they needed to buy a NEW lathe, mill and CNC machine for headers. THEY are not required, period. A jig, test car, tubing bender, mig/tig okay, and a plasma cutter I will go along with.

Secondly, NO company out there uses a chassie dyno to make headers, they all make/sell what fits. NOBODY sells headers that were individualy tested and changed per dynoed HP gains/losses. Thats simply ridiculous to assume that that much RD goes into any of them. Look at Hooker, Headman, JBA, Eldebrock to name a few and NONE of them were DYNO built.

It is simply a supply and demand issue, whith a TON of mark up. Unless they are made of rare earth, which they are not, they just don't cost that much to make. Heck, look around these boards and you will see horor stories of crack welds, poor fitment, etc from these so called $50,000 R/D headers.

Oh well sorry to rant, but the real world is they, like other companies, are simply hoseing us becuase we are Mercedes.

See yeah

PS: Thank GOD for LET, VRP and Code 3 for making real world pieces at real world pricing
I officaly allow this thread Hijack because this is something worth talking about I agree 100% with ^^^ this. I am part owner of a family biz that Manufactures Cleanroom and anit-static products. a while back we use to hand cut dissipative mat used to discharge and ground static in work environments. The then bought a $100,000 machine to help do the work and our prices on our matting did not raise one cent. Companies buy these machines to expedite the manufacturing process. its the difference of 1 set of headers a week to 15 sets a week. being able to sell 15 sets aweek your going to make more money and after time the shop equipment you have invested in will pay for its self. we invested 20k in products development only to sell it for $5 a piece. We do this because we can move enough product to offset the development coast and then some. if companies like Renntech, Kleemann and others, realized that they would move more product offering them at a lesser price they would make more money in the end. The C-class is MB's money maker they sell tons of them because they are not badly over priced. IF they made parts at a price that appealed to this demographic they would sell more. MB owners are getting taxed only because we are MB owners.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Renntech clearly would rather sell 10 widgets at $1,000 than 1,000 at $1. Nothing wrong with that. We are simply not their target market any longer.

A guy I know visited the local CEC shop and was told they tune 10-12 cars a year (and most of the "tune" is really a wheel and tire package and a body kit). So you can imagine what their gross margins must be

So along came Evosport, Code3, LET to take advantage of a business opportunity. Kudos to them.

PS - I am the 2nd owner of my car and it came with the R-tech upgrades
Old 06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
offer i should make?
An offer they can't refuse
Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Renntech clearly would rather sell 10 widgets at $1,000 than 1,000 at $1. Nothing wrong with that. We are simply not their target market any longer.

A guy I know visited the local CEC shop and was told they tune 10-12 cars a year (and most of the "tune" is really a wheel and tire package and a body kit). So you can imagine what their gross margins must be

So along came Evosport, Code3, LET to take advantage of a business opportunity. Kudos to them.

PS - I am the 2nd owner of my car and it came with the R-tech upgrades
When you have that kind of selling power why not....we are the idiots that pay high dollars for this stuff...we deserve to be thought of as little people to them cause we helped create the monsters that places like Brabus, Renntech and Klemmen..etc are now.