C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Possible C55 purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 M3 CS
Originally Posted by JToups386
I was able to get 22mpg on my recent road trip of 130 miles w/ the sunroof closed. With it open I averaged 21.5. I typically average 14.9 in the city, according to the onboard display stats. I've had very little maintenance issues in my first 6 months of ownership and the car has 59k on it as of today. The worst thing being the need for engine/transmission mounts due to them leaking hydraulic fluid and causing a bit of a rough idle feel. I hope that helps answer your original questions.

Now, on a personal note, I have to agree with the response of ScottW911, in that you really need to check your attitude at the door. I hesitated in providing any feedback whatsoever simply after seeing your username. It wreaks of immaturity! The fact that you came into this forum and spoke poorly of both the C32 and C55 is not a good start. And then you immediately trashed several people for their responses, (some of which are longtime senior members here), simply indicates you lack common sense and forum etiquette. Per your quick jump to defensiveness, I'd imagine you were the kid that got beat up a lot in school. Let me express a sincere apology to you for being that kid, and therefore causing you to be such a "tool" now...
Honestly, I don't give a rats **** about your personal note, or those of Splinter, Scott, et al. I am not sure where you got the notion that I spoke poorly of the C32/C55 because I only recall saying that I thought the C32's interior wasn't as well built as the C55, and I didn't think the C55 would be an ideal track car, even though I recommended it to him as a good performing daily driver. The other clown (Scott) has drawn his own conclusions, simply from my owning a BMW (mind you, I never mentioned anything about whether my car is better or worse than any other.) How you go conclude that I lack common sense from that probably speaks more about you, than it does me.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM

2005 M3 CS
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
My C55 has been a daily driver (even in the winter), a family car, and occasional track car (I go about 3-5 times a season). In 3 years of ownership, the car has been very reliable with no major mechanical or electrical problems other than some blown external bulbs and a sunrooof control unit which needed replacement earlier this year.

As a track car, the C55 can keep up with a E46 M3 (assuming no major differences in driver skill and both stock on street tires). In fact, I suspect for the average driver on your typical lapping days, it is EASIER to go faster in a C55 than a E46 M3 (mainly because of the fast shifting automatic transmission), as my personal experience has revealed to me. What many people don't realize is that the C55 has objective handling numbers which are VERY close to the M3. Laptimes in head to head comparisons are very close. The M3 does have an edge in the slowest, tightest turns, but the advantage is a relatively small one. Just look up your major magazines (like R&T, C&D, MT, Evo, Sport Auto, etc....), and you'll see what I mean when it comes to numbers like skidpad grip, slalom speeds, and laptimes.

The main difference between the C55 and E46 M3 is really about the subjective driving experience......the M3 does have better steering feel and sense of "balance" when at the limit. The flipside to that is the C55 is a superior daily driver with a touch more comfort and a more "relaxed" demeanor on the streets.

I've always looked at it this way: the C55 has 95% of the handling and 105% of the straight line acceleration of the E46 M3.

As others have indicated, the rated fuel economy of the C55 is very similar to the 6 speed manual E46 M3 (which is another fact many people don't realize).

Back in 2005, the C55 was my car of choice because I wanted the performance of the E46 M3, but in a much more practical and conservative 4 door package that my wife can drive too. Later on, the RS4 came out, which outperforms both on a track, but it was also much more expensive (at least in Canada).
Valk, More151: brilliant thoughts. I totally agree. As I said, I merely mentioned to him that if he wants to have a single car (he lives in NYC and pays $550/month to park one car) that he plans on tracking, the C55 might not be the ideal choice simply because it might be a better choice to get a manual. That said, given that he does live in NYC, I thought the C55 would be the best of both words (traffic) so I suggested either the C63 or C55. He liked the design of the C55 better. I also agree that the E36 M's interior was worse than the C32 in every way.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by whoover
Likewise, absolutely zero issues with my wife's C55. As far as reliability goes, the C55 has a built-in advantage over the C32 in that there's no supercharger and, especially, intercooler pump to cause problems. The normally aspirated AMG 55 engine is about as bullet proof as they come and the lack of complicated systems (like Airmatic, ABC or SBC) that plague other series helps keep the car trouble-free.

Easily fixed on the C32 for about $125.00(Johnson pump and then add an HE) . There are C32s on the forum with 0 problems and the car is a LOT easier to mod than the C55, so its really 6 to one, 1/2 dozen to another. I agree that the engine is bulletproof on the 55, my ML sure is too!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 AM

05 C55
wow, i thought this place was a little friendlier than it is. back to the OP...i bought my car used with 20k on it from my BMW dealer. i traded in a 540i that had served me well. there was a white M3, and a white C55 side by side on the lot, talk about a tough choice at the time. i prefer a manual trans hands down, and that is one complaint i have about my Benz. i have a huge dog, and i really need four doors, so i ended up with the Benz. on the downside for the MB...its value has really tanked in two years. when i bought it, it was very much on par with the M3 of an equivalent year. now it appears that the M3 has held its value, while the C55 has not. there seems to be more, and less expensive aftermarket support for the M3. i grew up in the 5.0 mustang days, and its pretty damn difficult for me to get excited about a $5,000. set of headers for the Benz. Thankfully it seems people like LET and VRP and starting to do more with the C55. Overall, im very happy with my car. daily driven without any problems. if your brother is intending on sharing a car with his wife, having kids etc. i think the 4 door, automatic car is the better choice in the long run.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM

2005 M3 CS
Originally Posted by mkonei
wow, i thought this place was a little friendlier than it is. back to the OP...i bought my car used with 20k on it from my BMW dealer. i traded in a 540i that had served me well. there was a white M3, and a white C55 side by side on the lot, talk about a tough choice at the time. i prefer a manual trans hands down, and that is one complaint i have about my Benz. i have a huge dog, and i really need four doors, so i ended up with the Benz. on the downside for the MB...its value has really tanked in two years. when i bought it, it was very much on par with the M3 of an equivalent year. now it appears that the M3 has held its value, while the C55 has not. there seems to be more, and less expensive aftermarket support for the M3. i grew up in the 5.0 mustang days, and its pretty damn difficult for me to get excited about a $5,000. set of headers for the Benz. Thankfully it seems people like LET and VRP and starting to do more with the C55. Overall, im very happy with my car. daily driven without any problems. if your brother is intending on sharing a car with his wife, having kids etc. i think the 4 door, automatic car is the better choice in the long run.
Mk, that is partly the point I made to him regarding getting the C55. I figured once he got his practice off its feet, he can then get a dedicated track car if he wants. I've got the M in NYC and it can be a genuine pain at times when it comes to the traffic here. I drove the C63 and it's a fantastic car but there are some of us who simply prefer a manual over an automatic. I thought I would never drive a car without a clutch pedal but after driving the DSG in the VW GTI, I am willing to give up with clutch.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 AM

06 C55
milage

C55 will get 19 - 22 if you baby it and drive 75% highway.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 AM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
Originally Posted by tech_frog
C55 will get 19 - 22 if you baby it and drive 75% highway.

sounds about right. But if it's highway only, look towards consistent 22-24

But it's no fun babying it haha