C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

I NEED HELP ASAP ON HOW TO DRAIN THE COOLANT OUT FROM LET HEAT EXCHANGER?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Question I NEED HELP ASAP ON HOW TO DRAIN THE COOLANT OUT FROM LET HEAT EXCHANGER?

is there a drain plug or something to drain out the coolant from the LET heat exchanger? I want to drain the coolant out because i have the gold PEAK brand coolant/antifreeze 50/50 that does not require adding any water that is supposed to be ok for any make/model plus a bottle of water-wetter. I guess I am not supposed to be running that coolant from what i have read so I want to drain that out and put in 20-25% MB antifreeze + a bottle of water-wetter and 70-75% distilled water. Think this combo should be pretty good?
What is the best way to do this? Is there an easy way to get the coolant out or do I have to take apart the bottom bumper panel to get to the radiator drain plug? Please Help, I want to do this now but dont know which way to do it so I am waiting to hear what you guys think.
Thanks in Advance,
Bobby C.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Heat exchanger’s drain petcock:

Radiator’s drain plug:

Accessing them necessitates removing the undertray.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
John,

Do you really just happen to have a photo of every possible DIY at your fingertips?

Really, I am constantly amazed at your wealth of expertise.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Just sneaking a glance at the laptop during a hydration & sunscreen break.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by splinter
So, yes. You do keep pictures of all DIY stuff with you at all times!

Thanks for the pics.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM

2002 C32 AMG
thanks for the response.
Is there an easier way of getting the coolant out without removing the under-tray? Also, is it worth draining the system with what i have in it already?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
John has a thumb-drive on his key ring and is ready to help out at any time!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

Splinter, you the man

Just how much hard drive space do you have filled up with AMG DIY's?

See yeah
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by bobby02c32AMG
thanks for the response.
Is there an easier way of getting the coolant out without removing the under-tray? Also, is it worth draining the system with what i have in it already?

Bobby - it doesn't get any easier than that. Jack the car up from the passenger side, remove the tray, put a bucket underneath it and unplug the plugs. Make sure you do it when the car is cold so you don't burn yourself. Bring the car back down and refill it. Turn the car on, let it recirculate a bit and refill it again.

Splinter - you are an asset to this forum. Keep it up!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
don't add antifreeze or MB coolant.. that is just marketing hype.

all you need is water and if you like to use Water Wetter is fine.. its not going to make a huge difference.

Unless you expect to get snow this time of the year.. Water is all you need.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32

all you need is water and if you like to use Water Wetter is fine.. its not going to make a huge difference.

Just water? I thought that the antifreeze or the MB coolant helps protection against damaging rust and corrosion? If I just ran water would my car cool better?
Or, just water alone, or MB+water(20/80)+a bottle of water-wetter , or just some PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze & Coolant(50/50) that does not require adding any water+a bottle of water-wetter(This is what I have in there now), will all of these combos cool about the same and protect too about the same?
So I guess what I am asking is, which water/coolant combo will work the best for cooling the car (lowering the engine temps) as well as protecting everything? Is it worth changing what I have in there now, or should I just keep running it as is?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Heat exchanger’s drain petcock:

Radiator’s drain plug:

Accessing them necessitates removing the undertray.
+1
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by TopGun32

Who gets snow in August?

Unless you live in a climate that never sees temps even approach freezing, IMHO you should use AT LEAST 25% MB coolant, and your best bet for peace of mind is closer to 50%. If you're using a larger HE, there just really isn't that much of a thermal transfer penalty. If you don't ever see freezing temps, you can get by with 100% distilled + Water Wetter. FWIW, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to just run 100% distilled - I don't think it would be worth the loss of anticorrosive properties inherent in the MB coolant and/or Water Wetter.

OP - this isn't rocket science... use whatever ratios you're comfortable with. Just make sure you use distilled water, and if you use coolant, I'd highly recommend getting the MB stuff. Overall, we're talking roughly 20 bucks, for something changed every couple years - not really going to break the bank either way.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Who gets snow in August?

Unless you live in a climate that never sees temps even approach freezing, IMHO you should use AT LEAST 25% MB coolant, and your best bet for peace of mind is closer to 50%. If you're using a larger HE, there just really isn't that much of a thermal transfer penalty. If you don't ever see freezing temps, you can get by with 100% distilled + Water Wetter. FWIW, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to just run 100% distilled - I don't think it would be worth the loss of anticorrosive properties inherent in the MB coolant and/or Water Wetter.

OP - this isn't rocket science... use whatever ratios you're comfortable with. Just make sure you use distilled water, and if you use coolant, I'd highly recommend getting the MB stuff. Overall, we're talking roughly 20 bucks, for something changed every couple years - not really going to break the bank either way.
+1

Theoretically, 100% DI water is all one would need if you live in a climate where it doesn't freeze.
Given the amount of heat fluctuation that occurs in those cooling system lines, I wouldn't skimp on adding an anti-corrosive agent.
In addition, many coolants (possible even MB's) also contain a compound that alters the latent heat properties of the coolant itself so that the heat is more readily dissipated (upon exposure in the heat exchanger).
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Keep in mind guys that unless you seperated the two circuits, they will mix anyway Hence you might as well put in the regular mix, as pure water would simply get diluted quickly and you would loose ANY gain from it the first couple of hot cold cycles. Just FYI.

See yeah
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Keep in mind guys that unless you seperated the two circuits, they will mix anyway Hence you might as well put in the regular mix, as pure water would simply get diluted quickly and you would loose ANY gain from it the first couple of hot cold cycles. Just FYI.

See yeah
yep, called the dealer and he pretty much said exact same thing and also said that the stuff I got in there now is fine and might actually have a little more additives to help with the corrosion than the MB coolant. Dealer said people usually get the MB coolant just for peace of mind. So I think ill just stick to the mix i got now, it seems to be working pretty good for me so far...maybe its the water-wetterlol

Thanks for the post guys,
Cya
Old 10-03-2020, 08:33 PM

2004 W211 E55 AMG MERCEDES
I have an 05 e55 w211 and I can't find ANY of the drain plugs.... I mean none....

[M
QUOTE=splinter;2977853]Heat exchanger’s drain petcock:

Radiator’s drain plug:

As stated above. I have an 05 e55 w211 and I can't find ANY of the drain plugs.... I mean none....

the radiator has been replaced or maybe even the whole front end but I can't find any of the drain plug on the radiator for the Heat exchangers or anyting somebody please help me have a greatly appreciated because I am already partially through the drain process....

Thanx again. Hustlinkaos

thanx
Accessing them necessitates removing the undertray.[/QUOTE]