C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
To buy or not to buy?

I am thinking about a C32. I'm not sold on a specific year and not sure if there where many changes from 02-04 to pull me one way or another. Also, do you think it is still a good buy this late in the game since they are dropping in price or now has it turned into the "ultimate sleeper" and a great deal? Many problems? What should I look out for in shopping?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by DC2NY2MB
I am thinking about a C32. I'm not sold on a specific year and not sure if there where many changes from 02-04 to pull me one way or another. Also, do you think it is still a good buy this late in the game since they are dropping in price or now has it turned into the "ultimate sleeper" and a great deal? Many problems? What should I look out for in shopping?
Price difference aside between the '02 and '04, I think most members here will agree that there are less problems associated with the '04 (e.g. fewer incidences of IC leaks, tranny jerks, and radiator leaks).

It depends on what you can afford. Also bear in mind that you can get '03/'04 E55's for low-to-mid $30K's.

Can you do basic mechanical work yourself? If not, you had best get some type of warranty for the car.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 AM

c32 amg
to buy or not to buy

i think the later models are the facelift one 2004 eg clearlights,new dashboard...correct me if im wrong...but go for a car with full service history,very important and warranty
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM

ML320
Thank you for the responses. I have not done basic mechanic work but I am a quick learn but that is an area that experience is golden.

I have a good ear to detect engine problems and can come up with logical answers but I haven't done much more than oil changes and lowering spring installs, mostly car audio was my hobby not engine mods / maintenance.

I am planning on keeping this one for a bit so I will make it a project and take small steps of DIY.

I thought a powerful V6 could be a little better on gas in the city but I could be wrong.

So, so far your thinking go for an 04 with some kind of warranty?

What about sellers with upgrades? Too risky? Stick to stock?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by DC2NY2MB
Thank you for the responses. I have not done basic mechanic work but I am a quick learn but that is an area that experience is golden.

I have a good ear to detect engine problems and can come up with logical answers but I haven't done much more than oil changes and lowering spring installs, mostly car audio was my hobby not engine mods / maintenance.

I am planning on keeping this one for a bit so I will make it a project and take small steps of DIY.

I thought a powerful V6 could be a little better on gas in the city but I could be wrong.

So, so far your thinking go for an 04 with some kind of warranty?

What about sellers with upgrades? Too risky? Stick to stock?
I would agree with the others a definitely go with the newest one you can afford. As mentioned the '04 has the updated look with the headlights and whatnot. A warranty is a MUST with this car regardless. One minor repair will almost pay for the price of your warranty. Parts and labor climb quickly when dealing with Benz and especially with an AMG for parts not common with the regular W203s.
As far as buying modded or stock, depends on you and the seller. If Jerry (from LET) was selling his car that was fully modded I would jump on that in a heartbeat and trust the car. If it's some punk kid that doesn't really know what mods he has or what the mods he has do to/for the car, I'd steer clear.
That's just me however...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Also bear in mind that you can get '03/'04 E55's for low-to-mid $30K's.
You raise a good point here. It may be worth jumping up to the bigger, nicer, faster, more lux E AMG for similiar price.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 PM

ML320
Thanks for the opinions keep them coming. I just sold my ML today and wont buy until mid/late September so still shopping.