Xenon=Present Setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
Xenon=Present Setting

Hi All,

I'm [still] in the process of installing bixenon's into my c32. So I notice that everybody says you must have the Xenon = Present setting done. But I can't seem to find a post actually explaining what it does.

The problem I see is two fold and I'm wondering if it will resolve it. Essentially I can power the ballast directly off the headlight wiring loom but the initial power draw the ballast requires to fire the bulbs triggers the system to detect a blown bulb or short and shuts off the power.

The way around that is to use a relay and power the ballast directly off the battery and using the headlight wiring loom to activate the relay. But there again the system is expecting a 55w load (or 2.6 ohms of resistance) and the relay doesn't do that. So the system sees no load on the headlights and once again shuts off the power triggering the relay to shutoff the battery power.

So what I'm 'guessing' is that the xenon=present setting does is just disable that elite detection system for the headlights? I'm hoping somebody can explain it a little further to me.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 08-12-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
It would be 10x easier to just version code the car for Xenon lights, than do anything else. Just have dealer do it or independant with SDS computer. Are you installing factory of aftermarket BIX?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by Biscuit

So what I'm 'guessing' is that the xenon=present setting does is just disable that elite detection system for the headlights? I'm hoping somebody can explain it a little further to me.

Thanks,
Rich
yup you nailed it on the head.. If you don't want to pay the dealer to do this, the work around is having a harness directly connected to the battery and tapping the side marker as the trigger. No voltage detection there, but you will get a check side marker error message because of the change of voltage.

Doesn't affect anything and the lights stay on, but you'll just get that message everytime you turn on your lights.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
yup you nailed it on the head.. If you don't want to pay the dealer to do this, the work around is having a harness directly connected to the battery and tapping the side marker as the trigger. No voltage detection there, but you will get a check side marker error message because of the change of voltage.

Doesn't affect anything and the lights stay on, but you'll just get that message everytime you turn on your lights.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. I think I'll look into getting that setting changed. Seems like the way to go so that I don't have to worry about firing any warnings.

Thanks!
Rich