Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 AM
M_M

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
do I need an aftermarket muffler?

Currently my c32 has the following mods:

code 3 SCP, asp pulley, headers, sl55 intake, HE, CM30, let tune, and resonator delated. should I go for an aftermarket muffler in order to gain a bit of hi-end power?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 AM

03 c32
Talking

Originally Posted by M_M

code 3 SCP, asp pulley, headers, sl55 intake, HE, CM30, let tune, and resonator delated. should I go for an aftermarket muffler in order to gain a bit of hi-end power?
Absolutely.
Buy this one:

https://mbworld.org/forums/engine-performance/245023-fs-eisenmann-race-w203-2x83mm-tips-excellent-cond.html
Old 08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by M_M

lol...a muffler wouldn't do anything other then changing the sound. You can gain some power if you either get rid of your cats and go straight pipe or replace them with hi-flow cats.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:15 PM

03 c32
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
lol...a muffler wouldn't do anything other then changing the sound. You can gain some power if you either get rid of your cats and go straight pipe or replace them with hi-flow cats.
Not exactly true.
With headers/cats, a reduction in back pressure (via muffler) can actually increase top end power.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AirFrcd
Not exactly true.
With headers/cats, a reduction in back pressure (via muffler) can actually increase top end power.
dynos?

i never seen changing the muffler adding whp when compared to changing the cat or moving to a 3'' diameter exhaust.

I would be interested in seeing how much whp a muffler would add.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:53 PM
M_M

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2

really? so the amg muffler is capable enough?

For e500, I gained 9whp from around 4200 till redline just from changing the brabus cat-back exhaust, but the sound of the exhaust is pretty annoying.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by M_M
really? so the amg muffler is capable enough?

For e500, I gained 9whp from around 4200 till redline just from changing the brabus cat-back exhaust, but the sound of the exhaust is pretty annoying.
was the catback a larger diameter exhaust? The choke point for most exhaust systems are usually at the cat. Thats why most people either go with a hi flow cats or a straight pipe with a higher diameter exhaust. I know for turbo's the optimal exhaust size is 3''. I never heard of mufflers adding any power other then changing the noise, airfcd disagrees. So maybe he's right, hence why i asked for dynos. I never heard of mufflers adding any whp, but i'm not saying it's not possible.

I think bang for your buck, your probably better off with just switching to a larger diameter exhaust. Most catbacks, have a larger diameter exhaust from stock to relieve the backpressure, thats where you see most of the power coming from.

The muffler does create some backpressure, given its designed to cancel out sound waves created by the car, but most amg stuff are optimized pretty well from the factory.