C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ImportsAutomotives Concord CA, dyno review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
ImportsAutomotives Concord CA, dyno review

Regarding to a thread couple days ago about $45 dyno in Concord, CA. So I brought my car in for a dyno.

Reason to select the shop:
1) Very close to my work. Only 2 miles away.
2) Reasonable price for a test run. I do not want to spend hundreds of dollar just to find out how strong my car is.

My observation:
1) Carlos is the dyno-er and also is the guy who runs the shop.
2) As they told me and my observation, they may have more experience on dynoing/tuning Jap cars. However, they don’t do Mercedes tune and have not yet done a lot of dyno on Mercedes specially C32. But dyno is dyno and should be very much the same or at least very closed technique to every car. So just give them sometime and they should be ok with it.

Dyno progress:
Prior to the dyno, I have run my car for about 40 miles (50 minutes) right before the dyno, so my car was a little bit hot (The temp showed about 95-97 C degree). Outside temp here in Concord is suck today 91+ F as read. The humidity is about 62% at 12pm
I am having code 3 pulley and intake. Everything else is very much stock. As advertised, this combo should give you something like 30+ whp/wtrq but I doubt it. I only expect and I am happy if I could gain some goods about 15-20 whp. I had never dynoed my stock so don’t know how much it was, but assuming average should be 290-295 whp / 300 ft bls wtrq stock (if I am not wrong). My hope was to archive 315 whp / 320 ft bls trq in a hot day like this. But the result disappointed me.

I asked him to do 2 runs with the EPS button off and one with the dyno mod on to see if there is any significant difference.

The dyno mode does favor couple whps on the dyno mode over the EPS off. The max was 300 whp/340 ft bls wtrq. (I do not have the tq graph with me so if my memory serves me right the trq was 340. I doubt it, but…)

So the hp does not increase that much but it surprises me that I gain 40 ft bls wtrq??? (again if the memory serves me right). Can anyone explain this?

Carlos told me that with a cold day I would expect some like another 10whp gain. Even with this extra gain, it’s still under my expectation since I was looking for at least 315-320+ whp not 310 whp.

So my car is a super slooow car. Any comment / suggestion anyone?

Complaint:
I asked Carlos for a print out of the graph, but he just asked me my email and promised me to send it to me right away. However, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3:30pm called and got promises everytime I called, but still receiving nothing. I call again at 4:30 and finally received a hp/speed graph. I called and email several times asking for tq graph, but the phone line was busy and no response on emails. Next day, I receive an email with “no available” wtf? And today, 2 days latter, no response on tq graph.

Suggestion:
If you go there for a dyno, make sure you request him for the hp/tq graph first or you may run into a problem like me.

Side note:
The result from the dyno does very much match up with the result I have on my GTech. On a colder day, my GTech says 306.x whp/312.x wtrq. 60ft 2.26s / 0-60mph 4.9s / 1/4mile 13.3 at 106.x mph. This is not the best run for sure, since I just randomly tried it. I do believe I can bring 0-60 and ¼ mile time down a lot with practice. (I know this because my 60ft is so high and I always brake before the car actually reach ¼ mile due to the road). GTech is done on the road, so it is very dangerous, that is why I don’t do it that often. But from now on, it’s the thing I can trust if I have a new mod.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Awsome, thanks for the great review.

I want to go check it out too, but I'm about 30 minutes from there, so it's not quite as convenient.

Plus I may wait for this heatwave to die down a little.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
every dyno is different.

but 295+ RWHP on a stock C32 is on the high side..

we have a 18% drivetrain loss..

280 to 285 is probably the average (under old SAE numbers)

SAE corrected could be even lower.

A car making 300hp fly wheel is really making 315+ based on the old SAE formula that changed early 2007.

with the heat and no bigger HE.. you will see your gains in cooler weather..
Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
agree with post above
I made 306, others I know have made 307 and 317 stock at the same dyno
i think you made great numbers
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Nice numbers!!!!