My other cat melted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
My other cat melted

Took my car to 1/4 last night, did 3 runs, first run -14.0xxx second run 14.1xxx third run 14.2xxx
I was goin wtf all night. Took my car to exhust shop today turns out my right primary cat isn't working, my left was replaced by MB for 2000 total parts and labor. I'm not going to MB again for it. The meineke guy said he could replace my primary cats with magnaflow but he said that from his past experience the check engine light will come on.
So how does this work?

I know some of you have magnaflow cats instead and how did you get the check engine light not to turn on? Also any other things I should know about when replacing primary cats?

Man I'm being tempted by a constant thought of removing my secondary cats lol.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by kindafast
Took my car to 1/4 last night, did 3 runs, first run -14.0xxx second run 14.1xxx third run 14.2xxx
I was goin wtf all night. Took my car to exhust shop today turns out my right primary cat isn't working, my left was replaced by MB for 2000 total parts and labor. I'm not going to MB again for it. The meineke guy said he could replace my primary cats with magnaflow but he said that from his past experience the check engine light will come on.
So how does this work?

I know some of you have magnaflow cats instead and how did you get the check engine light not to turn on? Also any other things I should know about when replacing primary cats?

Man I'm being tempted by a constant thought of removing my secondary cats lol.
From my research Its all about the cat you choose. AMG cats are very expensive So going after market is a good way to go. Its all about how many Cells the ones you go with have. From reading up on this anything less than 200cell cats can cause CEL's You will mostlikly have to get a universal cat and what is key here is the placement of the sensors If they are not in the correct spot you will get CEL's.

I have been at the track and got bad numbers too. so your not alone there. If the weather was ideal and you got slower then expected numbers the clogged or fouled cat can deff be the problem killing your performance there is no dount about that. Most exhaust shops say that we already have high flow cats but i think they are like 400cells per inch Doing to a dual 200cell set of cats can free up the missing flow and then some even resulting in a gain or WHP at a much lower price than stock AMG cats.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
It wasn't the weather, I remember running my car back in June during hotter times getting 13.4's. with a leaking IC core and residue in intake manifolds. Now it's not leaking.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Sorry for your misfortune.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
as long as you get the correct cell count cats, from a good name (such as magnaflow)- you will be fine. also- be sure the o2 sensors are in the correct place- both before and after the primary cats. go ahead and ditch the secondaries- no CELS by doing that since all of the sensors are up stream.