Another day at Mosport; final track day of the season for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Another day at Mosport; final track day of the season for me

I went to Mosport on Wednesday as part of the 6th Gear group. It was a bit chilly (13-15 degrees), and the rain didn't come until the afternoon. The left front tire of the 1er was shot, so I took the C55. Took advantage of the good weather in the morning and did a tonne of laps to the point where the computer notified me to add some motor oil after prolonged running at high rpm's. So I got some Mobil 1 0W40 motor oil to top up and I was good to go again in the afternoon when it rained. I learned quite a bit about the proper racing line in the wet, as the normal dry line became so slick it was like cornering on ice.

Again, there were lots of P-cars there (996 Turbo's, 996 Cabrio, 993 Turbo, 997 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, 944's), 2 older Ferrari's (race prepped 355, and red 308), 2 E46 M3's, 2 other Benzes (E55 AMG, E550 4Matic) that over power me, 2 Corvette Z06's, new Evo X, old Subuaru RS, etc, and quite a few fully prepped race cars of all sorts.

The highlight for me is knowledge that I am definitely getting faster on this track. Last time I was there in May, my fastest lap was around 1 min 52 seconds. This time, I could consistently lap around 1 min 45 seconds when there was no traffic in front of me. I get these times from my video frames. I'm personally very pleased with this as many of the experienced P-car guys are lapping in the low to mid 1:40's. As always, I think there is still some time I could shave off in the future if I ever get the courage to nail a perfect lap.

Another highlight that day was being held up for over 10 minutes on 2 separate occasions by slower cars (a silver 944 and a yellow Ferrari 355). I was clearly faster than these 2 guys, but they never pointed me by to pass so I followed the rules and just kept following them. I don't know whether it was pride that prevented these guys from doing the right thing........maybe letting a Benz pass you really hurts.......I guess I will never know.

Here are 2 videos:

1) My quickest lap of 1 min 44.7 seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVLjDhaMq4

2) A longer video of me chasing some cars (including the black E55 AMG):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrweBCW8Zw

All in all, a great day for me to end the track season. Definitely want to take the 1er to Mosport next year to see what she can do. But after taking the 135i to the last 3 track events, it felt absolutely GREAT to drive the C55 again on a track. The car handles VERY well and is pretty damn fast!

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 10-10-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Good job and nice Videos. You caught up to that M3 ? quick at the 1:00min mark. What are you faster in, the 55 or 135?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
PC Valkyrie,

Is your C55 pretty much stock or do you have any upgrades?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mdncn2762
Good job and nice Videos. You caught up to that M3 ? quick at the 1:00min mark. What are you faster in, the 55 or 135?
I honest don't know whether I'm faster in the C or the 1er, as I've never driven both cars on the same track at the same time with video recording. However, my gut feeling tells me that the 1er is likely faster on tracks that have very tight slow corners, while high speed tracks with fast sweeping turns favours the C55.

Originally Posted by wawy
PC Valkyrie,

Is your C55 pretty much stock or do you have any upgrades?
The only performance modification I have is the Renntech CF Airbox with K&N filters. My suspension is stock. I use my stock rims for tracking with Michelin PS2 street tires.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Excellent.

Your first spring session will be here before you know it.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I really wish we had a track like that around here..
Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
OPM

Originally Posted by wawy
I really wish we had a track like that around here..
Where is here?

PC Valkyrie, some people are too self-centered, others are overwhelmed, but 10min is ridiculous. Next time do a hot-pit. I like how Benz gave you a point-by with a blinker. That’s Mid-Ohio rules. Never liked those rules. Any plans for Calabogie or Mt. Tremblant? Or maybe even WG?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Nice driving for sure! See you later M3! just goes to show the C55 can hang with the big boys. A little more HP for the straits and that vette would not have caught you. BTW what was that green race car thing out there? IF you had race tires on the laps would be faster no doubt

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-14-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Its always nice to see a c32/c55 owners on the track repersent'n AMGs.
People still think AMGs are not up to the race track standards.. Great to see many of you prove this wrong!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OPM
PC Valkyrie, some people are too self-centered, others are overwhelmed, but 10min is ridiculous. Next time do a hot-pit. I like how Benz gave you a point-by with a blinker. That’s Mid-Ohio rules. Never liked those rules. Any plans for Calabogie or Mt. Tremblant? Or maybe even WG?
Yeah, I know I could have done a pit to add space between myself and those cars holding me up, but I was just curious how long I had stay on their tails before they would point me by. At the driver's meeting and in the written documentation for the track day, it was clear that the slower in car in front had to POINT by faster cars behind at one of the three passing zones. People using their blinkers were not following the rules of the organizers.

Never been to Calabogie, Mt. Tremblant, or Watkins Glen, although I plan to one of these days (likely next season). I have a friend who is a real track rat and have gone to all of those multiple times. Being in Toronto, those tracks are at least 4-6 hours away. Shannonville is another popular track around 2 hours away, which is a slower, tighter track than Mosport which I have been to many times. Others close to Toronto include Dunnville and Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park).

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Nice driving for sure! See you later M3! just goes to show the C55 can hang with the big boys. A little more HP for the straits and that vette would not have caught you. BTW what was that green race car thing out there? IF you had race tires on the laps would be faster no doubt
Well, there were 2 E46 M3's that day, but I think both drivers were not driving their cars to their potential. I was significantly faster then both of them. In theory, the C55 and E46 M3 are very closely matched when it comes to laptimes. Having said that, E46 M3's with street tires are generally slower than me from my own personal experience......but those with R-compounds can be quite a bit quicker than me especially at a tighter track like Shannonville. So far, I've never tracked with R-compounds.....I have heard it is better to learn to be fast on street tires.

Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Its always nice to see a c32/c55 owners on the track repersent'n AMGs.
People still think AMGs are not up to the race track standards.. Great to see many of you prove this wrong!
There is a huge perception among track enthusiasts that AMG's are only good for straight line fun. I can't emphasize enough how untrue that is, especially with the smaller models, like the C-AMG, SLK-AMG, and CLK-AMG cars. Sure, the steering feel may not as be as crisp or communicative as a BMW M car or Porsche, and there may be bit more body roll, but the absolute grip is still relatively high. When I track my C55, a lot of people are surprised at my pace......I often get compliments or a thumbs up from people afterwards. Part of it is driving technique, but I honestly think the C55 makes it easy to be fast.

With regards to the C55, the objective handling numbers and laptimes clearly show that it is very close to the E46 M3, but somehow most people simply ignore or are totally unaware of those facts and mistakenly assume the E46 M3 blows the C55 away in terms of handling. Even many Benz owners don't appreciate how well matched the 2 cars are, as I see so many times even in this forum about how the M3 will blow away the C-AMG car in the "twisties".
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Yeah, I know I could have done a pit to add space between myself and those cars holding me up, but I was just curious how long I had stay on their tails before they would point me by. At the driver's meeting and in the written documentation for the track day, it was clear that the slower in car in front had to POINT by faster cars behind at one of the three passing zones. People using their blinkers were not following the rules of the organizers.

Never been to Calabogie, Mt. Tremblant, or Watkins Glen, although I plan to one of these days (likely next season). I have a friend who is a real track rat and have gone to all of those multiple times. Being in Toronto, those tracks are at least 4-6 hours away. Shannonville is another popular track around 2 hours away, which is a slower, tighter track than Mosport which I have been to many times. Others close to Toronto include Dunnville and Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park).

Well, there were 2 E46 M3's that day, but I think both drivers were not driving their cars to their potential. I was significantly faster then both of them. In theory, the C55 and E46 M3 are very closely matched when it comes to laptimes. Having said that, E46 M3's with street tires are generally slower than me from my own personal experience......but those with R-compounds can be quite a bit quicker than me especially at a tighter track like Shannonville. So far, I've never tracked with R-compounds.....I have heard it is better to learn to be fast on street tires.

There is a huge perception among track enthusiasts that AMG's are only good for straight line fun. I can't emphasize enough how untrue that is, especially with the smaller models, like the C-AMG, SLK-AMG, and CLK-AMG cars. Sure, the steering feel may not as be as crisp or communicative as a BMW M car or Porsche, and there may be bit more body roll, but the absolute grip is still relatively high. When I track my C55, a lot of people are surprised at my pace......I often get compliments or a thumbs up from people afterwards. Part of it is driving technique, but I honestly think the C55 makes it easy to be fast.

With regards to the C55, the objective handling numbers and laptimes clearly show that it is very close to the E46 M3, but somehow most people simply ignore or are totally unaware of those facts and mistakenly assume the E46 M3 blows the C55 away in terms of handling. Even many Benz owners don't appreciate how well matched the 2 cars are, as I see so many times even in this forum about how the M3 will blow away the C-AMG car in the "twisties".

Thats what I say to few of my friends.. who are hardcore bmw nut swingerz...
I drove M cars before and I have to admit its more exciting to drive. But they do perform simliar...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 PM
OPM

Yea, it’s a longer ride, but it’s worth it. Go to a 2-day weekend event. Turn it into a mini vacation. Calabogie is awesome. I’ve been trying to get AWDman come with me. Maybe next year all of us can go together. MT is awesome too and you can bring the whole family. They will love it too.

Stay on streets as long as you can.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
What kind of helmet do you guys use? Brand, price range, etc. I'm currently looking for one, except there are some which are only DOT rated and are less expensive than the Snell rated ones, which cost 2-3X more. I was thinking of getting a modular helmet.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by pshek
What kind of helmet do you guys use? Brand, price range, etc. I'm currently looking for one, except there are some which are only DOT rated and are less expensive than the Snell rated ones, which cost 2-3X more. I was thinking of getting a modular helmet.
Hey pshek, ite me again

Just check out Summitracing.com.

They have a pretty wide selection of helmets, that are race legal. Make sure it has a 2005 or later rating. Some of those track offiicials can get nosey with your helmet rating if they don't know you. I bought a simpson full face helmet for my Formula Ford racing. It has vents in it as well and was only around $260.

See yeah my friend
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
OPM

Why do you need a helmet? Prior to purchase you should consider both “club” rules and overall safety. For drag racing you most likely will be allowed to use either M or SA rated of almost any age and design. IMHO, overall risk is minimal. Most accidents take place at or shortly after launch – so speeds are moderate. AutoX is very similar; however, some clubs require SA and others require 2000 or newer. Check with your club before you buy. Since you posted here, I will assume you need a helmet for HPDE. If so, overall risk is significant and therefore it is prudent to get the best safety equipment you can afford. Most clubs will NOT let you run unless you have SA2000 or newer. Some will even require SA2005. I do not know any club that has a good (safety) reputation that will let you run with M. From a design standpoint I prefer open-face for cars equipped with airbags. They are a bit safer, and way way more comfortable on a hot day. I have G-Force 750 SA2000, size L, which could be yours cheap. Or you can buy a new G-Force 750 SA 2005 for around $150. Recently I had to abandon open-face because I am using Hans and no longer have airbags. After much search I got HJC AR10. You can buy one for about $250. So far I am happy with the choice. I believe to get a better helmet than AR10 one would need to spend close to $1K.

PS – M and DOT is more or less the same thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM

2005 Renntech C class
I think helmets are the most important item....try to get something that has a solid reputation =)

It is awesome to see someone tracking a mercedes out there - while we both know they're not really cut out for track duty...they can still be plenty of fun. Took my C55 out to cali speedway infield and clocked a 1.22 in bone stock form and surprised a few stock evo/sti/vette guys.

PC: How fast are the turns on this course? Looks like a lot of fun....do you use stock pads? I'd like to track my C55 at the next cal speedway event...

Last edited by dorikin_86; 10-15-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by dorikin_86
I think helmets are the most important item....try to get something that has a solid reputation =)

It is awesome to see someone tracking a mercedes out there - while we both know they're not really cut out for track duty...they can still be plenty of fun. Took my C55 out to cali speedway infield and clocked a 1.22 in bone stock form and surprised a few stock evo/sti/vette guys.

PC: How fast are the turns on this course? Looks like a lot of fun....do you use stock pads? I'd like to track my C55 at the next cal speedway event...
Note to hijack PC's GREAT thread, but I recently switched to EBC redstuff, and they are FANTASTIC. My stock brakes would fade around lap 18-20 at Beaverun, and now, NO PROBLEM. They are, as of now, my favorite pad.

See yeah
Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM

2005 Renntech C class
I heard ebc eats up rotors like there is no tomorrow....not the case?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by OPM
Why do you need a helmet? Prior to purchase you should consider both “club” rules and overall safety. For drag racing you most likely will be allowed to use either M or SA rated of almost any age and design. IMHO, overall risk is minimal. Most accidents take place at or shortly after launch – so speeds are moderate. AutoX is very similar; however, some clubs require SA and others require 2000 or newer. Check with your club before you buy. Since you posted here, I will assume you need a helmet for HPDE. If so, overall risk is significant and therefore it is prudent to get the best safety equipment you can afford. Most clubs will NOT let you run unless you have SA2000 or newer. Some will even require SA2005. I do not know any club that has a good (safety) reputation that will let you run with M. From a design standpoint I prefer open-face for cars equipped with airbags. They are a bit safer, and way way more comfortable on a hot day. I have G-Force 750 SA2000, size L, which could be yours cheap. Or you can buy a new G-Force 750 SA 2005 for around $150. Recently I had to abandon open-face because I am using Hans and no longer have airbags. After much search I got HJC AR10. You can buy one for about $250. So far I am happy with the choice. I believe to get a better helmet than AR10 one would need to spend close to $1K.

PS – M and DOT is more or less the same thing.
Thanks for the advice and offer guys. I'll take it into consideration. I need to buy a new helmet; only XL or XXL fits me. I have a big head.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I heard ebc eats up rotors like there is no tomorrow....not the case?
They have changed their formula MANY time as I am told. And I have heard that in the past as well. So far, they simply look amazing. The rotors show no more abuse than the stock pads did to them, IMHO.

See yeah

PS: Keep in mind, I was only using the REDS, the YELLOWS have Kevlar in them, and this is what you maybe thinking of.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Thanks for the advice and offer guys. I'll take it into consideration. I need to buy a new helmet; only XL or XXL fits me. I have a big head.
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same league/size

HA, ha
Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually think the C55 is quite sturdy for track duty. The engine is rock solid. Overheating has never been an issue, even when I run continuously for over 1 hour at at time on the track in the middle of summer. The brakes are also quite good. I still haven't noticed any significant fade with a completely stock brake setup including pads. The only thing I've experienced is some brake judder for a few weeks (which eventually goes away) because of uneven deposits of brake pad material on the rotors when I really abuse the brakes on tight slower circuits. Having said all this, I actually feel a bit bad abusing C55 on a track, as I simply love the car for everything it is capable of doing as a street or track machine in the last 3 years. That's one of the reasons I got the 135i as a fun/track car, as I don't feel as bad abusing that car.

Yeah, I know what you mean by "surprising" other guys with the C55. Many people (especially BMW and Porsche guys) simply don't expect a Merc to be going so fast on a track.

The only turn at Mosport where I actually took notice of my entry speed is turn 8 right after the long back straight. There, I reach a speed of 210-220km/h and brake heavily to around 130km/h when I start turning in. Overall, Mosport is definitely one of the faster tracks I've been on. There is only one really slow corner.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Good job my friend
Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Awesome driving and sweet videos! I thank you for sharing.

-Aaron
Old 10-16-2008, 01:41 AM

2005 Renntech C class
some of the tracks in socal require heavy braking so that's why mine are toast after a lap or 2 =(

The car is def. bulletproof but I think the slushbox really takes away the fun...especially when the amg speedshift isn't so speedy. The understeer is quite annoying in the car though and it just doens't feel quite as agile/nimble as a bmw but then again...my old m3 wasnt as comfortable =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another day at Mosport; final track day of the season for me