Rust spots :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Rust spots :(

Hey guys,

This morning when I was getting into my car, I noticed a white-ish spot on the roof of my car. When I took a closer look at it, I saw that it was a chip in the paint that had apparently begun to corrode. When I checked the car out, I saw a total of 3 paint chips on the roof and 4 on the front end that had started corroding.

My question to you: How can this be normal? I do live in Iceland where it snows a few times each winter and the streets are salted, but this is only the beginning of the car's second winter, for most of it's lifetime it was in southern Germany. I've owned a few cars that were "born and raised" in Iceland, and only one of them had this problem.

With the price I paid for this car, I would not have expected it to start rusting after just over 5 years. Do you think I can get the dealership to cover this? The warranty is obviously expired.

Regards,
Hjartarson
Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
It's really unsettling to see this on other cars too. Going to check my roof at lunch now Are the spots on yours purely white, as if the paint is only starting to oxidize, or can you actually spot any rust?

My car "grew up" in Southern California for almost three years but after only one Chicago winter (as far as I know), it's starting to develop a few paint bubbles with rust spots under/around them near the center of the trunk lip, and one pea-sized one on the paint under the fuel-filler door. I'm pretty **** about getting all the salt off at least twice a week during the winter too, so...

I talked to two different dealerships about it (along with Gerber, an body shop where I have a "favor" coming), but I haven't gotten any opinions other than that "it's normal wear and tear"

If my 96 Bonneville SSEi got a pin-head sized rust spot fixed on it under warranty after 5+ years, I really can't see how we can get screwed on our cars...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by evilsaint
It's really unsettling to see this on other cars too. Going to check my roof at lunch now Are the spots on yours purely white, as if the paint is only starting to oxidize, or can you actually spot any rust?

My car "grew up" in Southern California for almost three years but after only one Chicago winter (as far as I know), it's starting to develop a few paint bubbles with rust spots under/around them near the center of the trunk lip, and one pea-sized one on the paint under the fuel-filler door. I'm pretty **** about getting all the salt off at least twice a week during the winter too, so...

I talked to two different dealerships about it (along with Gerber, an body shop where I have a "favor" coming), but I haven't gotten any opinions other than that "it's normal wear and tear"

If my 96 Bonneville SSEi got a pin-head sized rust spot fixed on it under warranty after 5+ years, I really can't see how we can get screwed on our cars...
There's rust in the paint chips, and the paint around the chip is white.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
I had rust fixed under warranty no problems here in south florida
My C230 spent three years next to the ocean.