C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

will run flat tires work on my c32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
will run flat tires work on my c32

just wondering if i can put bridgestone potenza run flats on my c32. i was told this may not be possible as many cars designed to have run flats also have a second lip on the inside of the rim to hold the tire in place in case of a puncture. and there may be a possibility of a cracked rim if they aren't made to handle the tires. does anyone else use them on here?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
What did your trusted tire dealer tell you?
I have driven on them…and vowed never to be party to their alleged convenience.

With all due respect, why would one care to install them? Is yours lacking a proper spare or MB’s gorilla snot inflation kit? A phone and AAA are all that’s really necessary for most suburban motorists to venture out on extended journeys with peace of mind.

Runflat's necessitate (by law) a cumbersome TPMS. Their performance is woefully deficient in the traditional handling, response, and NVH categories when compared with conventional performance pneumatic offerings. My BMW and Porsche acquaintances who’ve had runflats fitted as OE ditched them at their first opportunity for just those reasons.

They were brought to market solely for the manufacturers’ packaging expediency, IMHO. The NHTSA is also singing their virtues for Expedition owners that fail to properly inflate their tires.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
yeah i heard the same thing. i heard run flats are very harsh on the road and the tread doesn't last very long. I heard bmw even thought about drop run flats due to all the customer complaints.

You only need run flats if you plan on winning world rally races.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Yeah plus their additional cost over normal tires. My friend's 328i has them and they have been nothing but a pain due to replacements, TPMS failures/nagging, etc.