Checking oil level, trust it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Checking oil level, trust it?

As most of you know, we have no dipstick on our cars, which is ridiculous. There are 2 ways to check the oil level when your engine is cooled. First, with the regular screen menu when the key is on and it will just tell you if its good or not. The second, more accurate way, is through the "dyno mode".
I checked it the first way and it told me everything was fine. When I went into dyno mode to get an actual readout, it said I was at 6.5 quarts. Our cars are supposed to have 8-8.5 quarts based on the manual and everything else I've read. If I'm 2 quarts low, why the heck is it telling me everything is fine?? I went ahead and added a quart for good measure, but I'm always leery of adding too much. It now reads 7.4 quarts which is where I will leave it for now. I just don't know how accurate these things are, although it was within .1 of what I added. For all I know I was jipped out of .1 qt straight from the bottle or didn't empty it enough....
What do you guys normally keep your levels at per the dash readout?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
The apparent discrepancy in the engine sump’s oil volume between our “engine oil level - measuring now!” and dyno mode readings is that in dyno mode, the engine is running, and therefore circulating a quart or so through its passages. The readings are read from the same sensor, just interpreted differently.

Since I’m an analog man living in the digital age, there is another method. While topping up during an oil change, one can use a flexible rod to verify the proper level. Three feet of TIG welding wire or 1/8” rod from a hobby shop will suffice. I’ve notched an additional mark on my ATF dipstick 172 mm from its tip and use that. When fully inserted into the dipstick (extraction) tube, the oil level is then to be read up from the bottom of the pan.

With the correct quantity, the MFD will display “O.K.” and in dyno ~7.5 quarts. Looks like yours is fine.

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by splinter
....there is another method. While topping up during an oil change, one can use a flexible rod to verify the proper level. Three feet of TIG welding wire or 1/8” rod from a hobby shop will suffice. I’ve notched an additional mark on my ATF dipstick 172 mm from its tip and use that. When fully inserted into the dipstick (extraction) tube, the oil level is then to be read up from the bottom of the pan....
Nice suggestion and information for a DIY oil dipstick, John!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Nice suggestion and information for a DIY oil dipstick, John!
Ditto!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Correction.Dyno mode will indeed measure the sump’s oil level with the engine off.
Kindly disregard my previous post indicating otherwise. I regret the error.

Upon selecting dyno mode and starting the engine, all that’s necessary to obtain its ‘engine off’ reading is to shut ‘er down and then switch the key back to position two. Old dog learned a new trick today. It will require at least a minute or three for the oil in circulation to return toward the sump in order to obtain an accurate sensor-derived measurement. The oil level will continue to increase after shutdown as gravity takes its course.

A 171mm to 173mm on the dipstick will indicate 7.9 or 8 quarts in the MFD:

IMHO, it’s advisable to maintain the oil level toward the upper spectrum of the sump’s design capacity in order to minimize the possibility of oil-supply cavitation/starvation during spirited dynamic maneuvers. Note that some early models would prompt a “Reduce Oil Level” warning when the quantity was, in fact, within specification. As a result, MB issued a DTB – revising their specified oil quantity - to assuage potential warranty concerns and update their furnished Operator’s Manual technical data.

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Thanks splinter !
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
hi guys, i know this is an old thread, but does this mean that the sump oil level when measured in dyno mode with the engine off should be 8.5 quarts or 7.9 quarts? I have a C32 if that makes any difference. thanks!