C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Interesting sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Interesting sound

I started noticing a slight rubbing sound yesterday while driving my car. It only seems to happens after the transmission kicks down under acceleration when the pedal is pressed about halfway down. If I just drive normal, it doesn't do this. Under wide open acceleration, it doesn't do this. When it happens, it almost sounds like a rubbing sound and I can feel a light amount of vibration. I tried to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from, and at first it seemed like the front of the car but later it almost sounded like it was right underneath me. Also, the car shifts as smooth as ever. Nothing has changed with that. I also looked underneath the car and nothing is leaking. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might possibly be?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:54 AM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by RedBull
I started noticing a slight rubbing sound yesterday while driving my car. It only seems to happens after the transmission kicks down under acceleration when the pedal is pressed about halfway down. If I just drive normal, it doesn't do this. Under wide open acceleration, it doesn't do this. When it happens, it almost sounds like a rubbing sound and I can feel a light amount of vibration. I tried to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from, and at first it seemed like the front of the car but later it almost sounded like it was right underneath me. Also, the car shifts as smooth as ever. Nothing has changed with that. I also looked underneath the car and nothing is leaking. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might possibly be?
Sound dampening material above the transmission tunnel falling onto the drive shaft?
It's happened to many C32 owners - slight intermittent rubbing that is noticeable at a certain rpm and then seems as if it goes away at higher rpm (in reality it doesn't).
Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 AM

CLK550
That makes sense. Lately I've had to drive over some very rough roads, and that may have knocked it loose.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
That makes sense. Lately I've had to drive over some very rough roads, and that may have knocked it loose.

Should have parked her for the winter, the Chicago potholes are horrendous right now!!!! That's why the ML comes out!!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM

CLK550
I'm taking it over to Fluid tomorrow to get the 185 and Johnson pump installed, and will have them check it out. I'm starting to think it might be either a suspension issue, or a bad motor/trans mount.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I'm taking it over to Fluid tomorrow to get the 185 and Johnson pump installed, and will have them check it out. I'm starting to think it might be either a suspension issue, or a bad motor/trans mount.
nice! Tell craig I said hi and he rocked with my car.

you dropping it off or leaving it?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by loungn14
nice! Tell craig I said hi and he rocked with my car.

you dropping it off or leaving it?
Will do. I'm dropping it off around noon and crossing my fingers that there isn't anything seriously wrong with it, then hopefully picking it up when I'm done. Gotta get ahold of Jerry too about getting the 185 flash on the car so that I can test it without blowing it up.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Please keep us updated on this redbull as I am having the same issue with my car. It sounds almost like a grinding noise from the front when driving/accelerating normally. I also have a new transmission with about 6k on my c32.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
SPONSOR

Will do. I'm dropping it off around noon and crossing my fingers that there isn't anything seriously wrong with it, then hopefully picking it up when I'm done. Gotta get ahold of Jerry too about getting the 185 flash on the car so that I can test it without blowing it up.
no worries. You can beat the hell outta her without the tune and not run into any problems. If you have the time, have craig or oj look at the underside of the oil cap for sludge. If there they can clean it, as that stuff over time will cause you to throw check engines, stall, not start and misfire. (they did a heck of a job on mine)
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 PM

CLK550
no worries. You can beat the hell outta her without the tune and not run into any problems. If you have the time, have craig or oj look at the underside of the oil cap for sludge. If there they can clean it, as that stuff over time will cause you to throw check engines, stall, not start and misfire. (they did a heck of a job on mine)
They're looking it over tonight, trying to figure out what's causing the vibration in the back end. Craig said he noticed it when he drove the car after the pulley install. Sounds like it's either the drive shaft bearing, or something worse. I'm hoping it's just the bearing.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 AM
SPONSOR

They're looking it over tonight, trying to figure out what's causing the vibration in the back end. Craig said he noticed it when he drove the car after the pulley install. Sounds like it's either the drive shaft bearing, or something worse. I'm hoping it's just the bearing.
I was there last night and saw the car. That is a different issue than I have seen before.

either way, you are in very good hands...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM

CLK550
I was there last night and saw the car. That is a different issue than I have seen before.

either way, you are in very good hands...

I have a feeling it's due to the wonderful Illinois roads.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
SPONSOR

survey says?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM

CLK550
Got the call this morning, and it was indeed the driveshaft. FUUUUUUUUUUUortunately, I talked with my insurance agent and he said my insurance will cover the repair. And since a new driveshaft has to be shipped over from Germany, it's also a good thing that I have rental coverage so I won't have to worry about getting a vehicle. So it's going to be somewhere around 7-10 days until it should be done. What really kills me is knowing that the 185 is on there now, and I have to wait almost 2 weeks to enjoy it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 AM

CLK550
I do want to mention also that Fluid Motor Union has gone out of their way for me like no shop has ever done. They are a first-rate business, and I wouldn't even consider going anywhere else after the way they have treated me and the other people on here. Amazing service.